Sign in to follow this  
RodgerC

PF3 Question

So I'm looking at purchasing PF3, and since I'm new to MCE, I would like some help or advice on the topic.  What exactly is the advantage to using PF3 (outside of SID's and STAR's).  I have read all of the threads concerning using MCE and PF3 but I'm not real good with computers and I guess the biggest question is how to get the FO setup to work with PF3 in MCE.  I believe I read one of the posts that said there will be an update coming in the future that will solve the FO setup in MCE to make it work in PF3.  Right now I use MCE and FSX ATC along with Plan G.  Is the ATC experience better and easier to use than FSX.  I already downloaded the Trial version, then in some of the threads here I read that there are some quirks to it, so I have not installed it yet.  Just looking for some help.  Thanks

Rodger

One more question, it seems that there is a lot of keyboard usage with PF3.  Is that true, as I thought the idea was to get away from having to use the keyboard with ATC.

Hi Rodger,

i can confirm that MCE and PF3 work with voice perfectly. You just need to follow the instructions on PF3 for voice operation, off the top of my head it's just a case of checking a option in hot keys for PTT and turning off pilot voice and selecting a option one for Virtual Copilot (VCP). MCE can work out the link between the two once you select PF3/PFE in the ATC options section of MCE UI.

Putting aside SIDS and STARS, PF3 allows you to handle things like diverting to an ALT airport, emergencies (ill passenger etc) aircraft failures in which you declair you need to land quickly. 

As stated before, you get regional voices depending on world location. It also has a full list of Transition altitudes in built so your always given the correct altitude to revert to standard. Obviously some flights you never go over this especially in the US and a GA aircraft.

It also lets you assign pre allocated parking, set FAF distances per airfield. Add frequencies to airfields if they are added or changed. It also give you taxi instructions via voice or via aircraft gauge (HSI I think, not arrows on the tarmac like fsx progressive) to runway or stand stand.

these are just a few options, but I'm sure others will chime in with other bits and pieces.

cheers Rob

added, if you look in your MCE folder you should find a PDF that covers PFE/PF3 ATC, it might help you get an idea of some of the things you can do. 

Improved climb and decent steps and improved vectoring. 

18 hours ago, C130FE said:

So I'm looking at purchasing PF3, and since I'm new to MCE, I would like some help or advice on the topic.  What exactly is the advantage to using PF3 (outside of SID's and STAR's).  I have read all of the threads concerning using MCE and PF3 but I'm not real good with computers and I guess the biggest question is how to get the FO setup to work with PF3 in MCE.  I believe I read one of the posts that said there will be an update coming in the future that will solve the FO setup in MCE to make it work in PF3.  Right now I use MCE and FSX ATC along with Plan G.  Is the ATC experience better and easier to use than FSX.  I already downloaded the Trial version, then in some of the threads here I read that there are some quirks to it, so I have not installed it yet.  Just looking for some help.  Thanks

Rodger

One more question, it seems that there is a lot of keyboard usage with PF3.  Is that true, as I thought the idea was to get away from having to use the keyboard with ATC.

Hi, let us all know your experiences with PF3. Its certainly got a few extra functionalities over Radar Contact v4. I tried the demo, but couldn't get it to work with my P3D.

As for Radar Contact v4. Yes its old, however after using it for years, I can attest that it works well with MCE. RC4 has two of our MCE first officer voices available, meaning that if you install either Lorna or William into the RC4 folder, their voices may be used to transmit. You (as captain) can hand over the radio comms to your first officer and they will do the job very well. I just say "your radios" and they take over. I use this function a lot (my laziness!) and whenever you wish to alter some command then you can either PTT and speak yourself, or use the keyboard to select an on screen menu choice. Also (again laziness on my part) you can instruct MCE to select an on screen menu. I just say "select menu # one" etc.....This eliminates the use of keyboard inputs all together. If your going into VR then a consideration?

If you dig back through my You Tube videos, you can see RC4 in action. 

There is also an option to use regional radio chatter, which does what it says. As for the Radar Contact ATC voices, there is a great alternative voice pack available from Avsim Library. Its called Meatwater. This greatly speeds up the ATC reply and adds a bit of radio attenuation. If you are training for your PPL/ATPL....this forces you to listen more carefully and concentrate on what's being said.

Just my two penneth. But its nice to have a choice. 

Regards,

David