Hello everyone, I recently had my old fsx rig expire after many years of loyal service, so its tme for another high end build.

This will be another FSX build to start with as all my software is for fsx but may consider a switch to P3D if they come out with a 64bit product in the future.

i have the following components in mind and since i am no genius when putting this stuff together a wanted any feedback you may have regarding the hardware being considered before pulling the trigger.

Chipset Intel i7 7700k

Cooling Corsair  H115i CPU Cooler

Motherboard ASUS Strix Z270F Gaming

Memory GSkill RipjawsV 16GB (2x8gb) 3200MHz 

GPU ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB

Powersupply Corsair 850W HX850i

SSD Samsung EVO 850 1TB 

At this stage I haven't settled on a case and will reuse my old DVD drive.  If anyone can recommend a good case with fans pre installed preferably that would be a help as well.

I would appreciate experienced rig builders and tweakers input.

Many Thanks

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Hi Tim,

I literally have the parts for my new PC waiting to be built and we have quite a similar component list:

• Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (5.1Ghz, delidded)
  • Corsair Carbide Series Air 740 - I chose this case as it has lots of airflow and separate compartments for the motherboard side and HDD side - I really like it although I haven't started the build yet - it comes with 3 fans already installed and space for lots more
  • Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - overkill but ready in case I add another GPU in the future
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
  • G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - overkill but again, future proofing a bit
  • Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - this is for Windows and other programs
  • Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) - this is dedicated to flight sim (I use P3D and will be waiting for v4 before installing anything again)
  • GTX 1080Ti - I'm upgrading from a GTX 780Ti so this is a good step for me - it's powerful but should make my 1440p monitor shine
  • Seagate Barracude 4TB HDD\

I'd say you have a good system there for flight simming - I did a LOT of research into this and have gone for almost the same as you. I'll be building it this week.

Hope that helps.

James

Hi all -- I am also planning to build a new computer. Ryzen didn't pan out so looking to stick with Intel for now. 

Is there a considerable difference using a 7700k vs 7600k processor? I am running Prepar3d -- does it utilize the extra hyper-threading function? 

There is quite a considerable difference in cost, but of course I also want something that will be future proof. 

ASUS better than Gigabyte for your motherboard choice?

Regards.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

4 hours ago, OmniAtlas said:

Hi all -- I am also planning to build a new computer. Ryzen didn't pan out so looking to stick with Intel for now. 

Is there a considerable difference using a 7700k vs 7600k processor? I am running Prepar3d -- does it utilize the extra hyper-threading function? 

There is quite a considerable difference in cost, but of course I also want something that will be future proof. 

ASUS better than Gigabyte for your motherboard choice?

Regards.

If cost is an issue, 7600k would be fine but obviously if you can afford the 7700k, do it.

Motherboards are fairly much of a muchness.  Personally, I wouldn't have an Asus if you paid me, and swear by Gigabyte boards, but others on here will say the exact opposite.  Choose the board that has the features you need

What GPU are you going with?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

1 hour ago, Charlatan said:

Personally, I wouldn't have an Asus if you paid me, and swear by Gigabyte boards

Haha, I'm one of the opposite guys - only have Asus boards. But that's only because I've had a good run of luck with them (touch wood) - motherboards are all pretty similar. Go for one that allows good simple overclocking on whichever 7xxxK CPU you choose. 

• Upvote 2

Just finished my new rig and tetsted it in P3D full weekend:

- Asus ROG IX Hero

- 2x8 G.skill TridentZ 3200MHz CL15

- Samsung 960 evo + Samsung 850 evo + WD Blue

- 2xGTX970 strix

- Noctua DH-15s

- Be quiet! Dark Power 850W

- Fractal Design r5 Define case

I am very satisfied with the results on stock CPU and GPU speeds. I will probably wait with OC untill i add more addons (traffic, HD airports).

Regards,

Kris

13 hours ago, OmniAtlas said:

Is there a considerable difference using a 7700k vs 7600k processor?

Of course, the 7700K has Hyperthreading, larger cache, and can overclock higher... so that's all preferable.  Perhaps another variable to consider when buying is the number of add-ons you use with the sim.  Just as an example, I run AS16 on Cores 0 &1 and my GTN GPS on core 5.  This allows me to keep them away from the sim cores 2,4,6 & 7.  If you use a number of add-ons with the sim then there's a clear advantage to going with the i7 CPU.

Regards,

Greg

Edit:  ASUS man here... a number of builds (at least 50) over the last 21 years with not a single problem.  Just my two cents worth...

20 minutes ago, KrisJ said:

Just finished my new rig and tetsted it in P3D full weekend:

- Asus ROG IX Hero

- 2x8 G.skill TridentZ 3200MHz CL15

- Samsung 960 evo + Samsung 850 evo + WD Blue

- 2xGTX970 strix

- Noctua DH-15s

- Be quiet! Dark Power 850W

- Fractal Design r5 Define case

I am very satisfied with the results on stock CPU and GPU speeds. I will probably wait with OC untill i add more addons (traffic, HD airports).

Regards,

Kris

Are you happy with the Noctua DH-15s? How are temps and the noise? Did you try to overclock the cpu? Waiting for your answer :)

18 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Of course, the 7700K has Hyperthreading, larger cache, and can overclock higher... so that's all preferable.

But is that really worth an extra $110 if you do not run any hardcore apps that utilize all threads (vs a 7600k)?  Will you see $110 worth of improvement (or any improvement) in P3D or FSX?  My guess is no.

And my guess is yes :biggrin:.  Everybody should spend their money as they see best, but having flown a core i5 before (and having a good experience), I'll just say the experience I've had since moving to the core i7 is better.  To each their own but I won't go back!

Cheers,

Greg

• Upvote 1

I would recommend spending as much as you can afford - the key areas being the CPU and GPU for P3D coupled with a good PSU and fast ram. Whatever combination of these you can get for your budget, go with it - I would recommend the 7700k as it is the fastest. 

Tim - I see you are opting for a 1070 OC - is there a reason for this? If your budget allows, the 1080 is now at reduced prices since the 1080Ti came out - could be worth a look. Similarly if you can stretch then the very best to go with the 7700k would be the 1080Ti. 

James

11 hours ago, Lbt564 said:

Are you happy with the Noctua DH-15s? How are temps and the noise? Did you try to overclock the cpu? Waiting for your answer :)

On a day 1 CPU temp was 27-30C just in Windows. I didnt monitor it in P3D conditions yet but i will let you know. Like i said i didint overclock yet as i do not need it before i load all the heavy addons (I expect traffic will create a need for OC).

Regarding the noise, my wife said she is finnaly happy she cannot hear it:)

• Upvote 1

Thanks Kris! Please tell me how it performs when you overclock the CPU :)

Ok thanks for the advice 7700k it is then. 

Im a little confused with the ram pickings - ddr4 is available at 3200 Hz but they have terrible Timings. Ddr3 not compatible? 

Also it seems I can only get them at 16 gb - seems to be a loss - didn't know P3D wouldn't utilise more than 8. Any recommendations for ram? 

I will get an Asus motherboard. Also looks like optane RAM is out but expensive. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

9 hours ago, OmniAtlas said:

Ok thanks for the advice 7700k it is then. 

Im a little confused with the ram pickings - ddr4 is available at 3200 Hz but they have terrible Timings. Ddr3 not compatible? 

Also it seems I can only get them at 16 gb - seems to be a loss - didn't know P3D wouldn't utilise more than 8. Any recommendations for ram? 

I will get an Asus motherboard. Also looks like optane RAM is out but expensive. 

No, DDR3 is most definitely not compatible!

With each new generation of RAM timings increase due to the higher bandwidth. Don't compare with older generations.

GSklill Ripjaw v or Trident Z are my suggestions.

Optane is not exactly RAM. It's NVMe SSD technology, namely 3D SSD technology. Currently the drives released are highly expensive drives for data centres. It's a date centre drive, thus you should not buy it. Later this year, or maybe sometime next year, the consumer drives will appear.

Intel has also developed something called "Memory Drive Technology", that enables Optane, with the appropriate chipset, to function as RAM.