Sign in to follow this  
Major

Airbus A380

I have a Microsoft Flight Simulator X Programme.

My son bought me an add on (Airbus A380 v2) for Flight Simulator X.

I have loaded this add on programme onto my computer and all the extra aircraft show up on my opening screen to select when I run my Microsoft Flight Simulator X Programme.

The only trouble is when I select one of these new aircraft the programme crashes and closes.

ANY help here would be most appreciated please?

Hello Major

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that your new A380 add-on is causing you problems. You did not indicate what version of FSX you have, or what operating system you are using, or the name of the company of the add-on,  so I will give some general advice when installing add-ons. Some anti virus programs have been known to cause installation issues with a lot of add-on planes and the security of the newer operating systems like win7, win 10 can also block certain files from running.

First, I would uninstall your A380 add-on from the control panel.

Disable (temporarily) your anti virus program.

Reinstall the A380 add-on again. Install using administrator rights. (right click on the EXE. file and "Run as Administrator")

Run FSX again to see if it works now. You should also be running FSX as "Run as Administrator"

If this works, then re-enable your anti virus. If not, I would visit the forum of the company that made the A380 add-on.

Good luck to you.

Rick

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Im not familiar with any a380 addons but a quick google search makes me believe you are using wilco a380 v2, most of the suggetions online are to run FSX as administrator,which is always a good place to start. just right click on your FSX logo and click run as administrator 

If its still not working check out the Wilco forum for help.

Best of Luck

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Note: I've moved this thread from the "Tips and Tricks" forum because it is a question, not an answer. That forum is reserved for Solutions to be archived for future reference.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sorry about the lack of info

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe

10.0.61637.0  (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)

A 380 programme is:

Airbus A380 for Flight Simulator X & 2004 v2

Computer running on Windows 10

Many thanks

FSX Deluxe.  Do you also have both SP1 and SP2 (Service Packs) installed?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Here are the listings for compatibility of various versions of FS:

https://freedownload.s3.amazonaws.com/W8_1.pdf

Note that for FSX, Wilco also state that you need either, SP1 and SP2 installed, or the Acceleration add on. Also note that it is not listed as being compatible with the Steam version (although that might simply be that the installers don't find it automatically, or it could be that Simconnect might have to be manually installed in the SE version, as is the case with some other add-on aeoplanes, such as the PMDG 737 NG).

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

So according to the compatibility of various version download I was given by 'Chock' it looks like Airbus A380 add-ons is not compatible with Windows 10. 

Is that it then do you think?

SO in view of this can anybody suggest another suitable add-ons that will work which will enhance my flying experience with more modern aircrafts please? 

I doubt that Windows 10 is causing the issue.  If FSX is crashing to desktop, then it would be a good

idea to check to see what the faulting module is.  You can find that by checking any of the recent

errors in you computer's Event Viewer.  The following may or may not be helpful, but worth a shot!

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.
One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: This is what we need to know
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a
Faulting process id: 0x748
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4
Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll
Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,
you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->
Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.
Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, Major said:

So according to the compatibility of various version download I was given by 'Chock' it looks like Airbus A380 add-ons is not compatible with Windows 10. 

Is that it then do you think?

SO in view of this can anybody suggest another suitable add-ons that will work which will enhance my flying experience with more modern aircrafts please? 

Nah, that list just shows what OS it has been shown to work with, doesn't mean it won't work on Windows 10, especially since that list was probably made before Win 10 even came out. It's far more likely that it simply needed to be installed in Admin mode on your PC in order to work.

As far as other add on aeroplanes are concerned, that is up to you and what you like in terms of aircraft type and the level of realism you want. And what you want to spend too of course, since some FS add on aeroplanes can get fairly pricey, although how much you pay is generally related to how complex and faithful to the real aeroplane that particular add on will be.

Below are some suggestions, with clickable links, ranging from really expensive (i.e. the FSL Airbus A320 at well over 100 quid) to very inexpensive indeed but still pretty good (i.e Virtualcol at anything from about a fiver upwards and usually about 15 quid each). Keep in mind however, that the Avsim file library is full of free add-on aeroplanes, many of which are excellent and in many cases, as good as some payware, so give that a look too...

If you like very realistic older classic aircraft such as the B-17 Flying Fortress, Lockheed Constellation, Spitfire etc, then A2A is a good place to check out.

If you want a very realistic modern Boeing airliner, such as a 737 or a 747, PMDG or iFly are good choices for that.

If you want a super-realistic Airbus A320 or even Concorde, then that would be FSL.

If you want something which is a bit less 'full on', but still a fairly realistic simulation, Just Flight is probably your best bet for that kind of thing. They make absolutely loads of stuff, you are sure to find something you like there. Be sure to have a look for their Boeing 757, which is free (yes, really).

If you want something very inexpensive and which is not too complicated, but still a bit better than the default FS aeroplanes in complexity, yet which looks good and runs well on even a mediocre computer, then Virtualcol is a good choice. They make a lot of stuff too, big and small jets, big and small turbprop airliners and a few samll GA aeroplanes too.

Note too, that another consideration with any payware add on for your simulator, support from the developer is important too if you have problems. All of the developers I listed above offer good support, although as you've discovered, Avsim's forums can be a big help too.

You should note that there are some cheaper alternatives to some of the expensive add-ons, and sometimes you can find freeware ones which are every bit as good, for example, here is a much cheaper B-17 (yeah I know the A2A one is a B-17G and this one is an F variant) and here is a much cheaper Lockheed Constellation. It is always worth a quick Google search to see if there are any free ones about too of course.

Keep in mind that the level of expectation from 'serious' flight sim enthusiasts in recent years has gone stratospheric, to the extent where they want as much realism as possible and are willing to pay for it. Several developrs of aeroplanes for FS have really taken that to heart, to the extent that many of the more expensive payware add ons from developers such as PMDG and FSL, are about as realistic a simulation of the real aeroplane as you could get, short of going flying a real training simulator at an airline training centre. This is great if you love aeroplanes and are curious about all of their systems, but it should be borne in mind that to enjoy stuff like that, you will end up reading a fairly hefty manual and having to learn a fair bit about how the real aeroplane works. This is not a bad thing if that's where your interest lies, and it can be fascinating to learn that stuff, but more than one person has bought a fancy PMDG airliner and then been disappointed that they cannot simply crank it up and go. You do have to do the tutorial flights with those sort of add-ons, otherwise they will lead to frustration.

That said, if the idea of a realistic simulation of an airliner appeals to you, then I would recommend getting hold of either the PMDG or iFly Boeing 737 NG (the iFly one is a bit cheaper and has more variants included, the PMDG one has a slightly more realistic HUD system and some other slightly more advanced features, but they are both very realistic). The real 737 NG is a modern aircraft with the kind of flight management computer common to most airliners these days, but with the 737 having first flown in 1968, its cockpit is not frighteningly complex in appearance, which makes it a great aircraft on which to learn how modern airliners function, and it is easy to fly by hand too if not usig the autopilot. If you take a couple of hours to do the tutorial flights which come with those add on 737s, you will be in fairly good shape to know how to fly pretty much any simulation of a modern commercial jet or turboprop, and at a push, could probably fly the real thing.

If on the other hand, you want something which is a bit more 'jump in and go'. Give that freebie Just Flight Boeing 757 a try, as it is pretty realistic, but something which won't overwhelm anyone. Above all, have fun. Remember, it's a hobby, not a job!

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for reply Chock,

So where can I buy the Super-Realistic Airbus A320 at an un super-realistic price......buy the way I live in the UK

Thanks again

Okay, super realistic would be the FSL one, but in the UK it cost me (if I recall correctly) 139 quid. You do get what you pay for, but it's still pretty goddam steep for what is at the end of the day a toy aeroplane, albeit a very accurate and realistic one: http://www.flightsimlabs.com/

considerably cheaper is the Aerosoft one, which is very realistic in most respects and would certainly be detailed enough to please most people, at about 35 quid: https://www.justflight.com/product/aerosoft-airbus-a320-a321-for-fsx-and-p3d

If you want that one, definitely buy it from Just Flight's online store, a. because they are a UK company, so you're supporting 'our lot' lol. b. because they offer a reward scheme which means it actually works out at 3.50 less when you take into account their Reward Point scheme. And c. because their support is good and your downloads reamain on your account indefinitely.

Cheap and cheerful and reasonably good fun, (although definitely a 'lite' simulation of the real thing in terms of systems and accuracy) is this one for 15 quid, also from Just Flight. Don't expect it to be super realistic, but it runs well and is still fun to fly: https://www.justflight.com/product/a320-jetliner-download

Note that if you wanna go 'Airbus mad', you can get this set for 42 quid (keeping in mind that you also get a discount scheme bonus). This includes the A318, A319, A320 and A321 and they are all pretty realistic since they are essentailly that Aerosoft one listed above, so that's about ten quid per plane, although like the real thing, they do have pretty much identical cockpits, about the only difference when you fly them is that you have to remember not to flare the A321 as much as the others or you'll cause a tail strike because it has a longer fuselage, the real pilot's operating handbook warns pilots about that: https://www.justflight.com/product/aerosoft-airbus-bundle-for-fsx-and-p3d

What is nice about that set, is that the included A318 is one of the few jet airliners which can land at London City Airport, where it makes a steeper than normal approach (5.5 degrees instead of the more normal 3.5 derees at most airports), so it's kind of fun.

There are some other ones about, but those are the ones I would personally recommend, and yup, I do have all of them. Airbuses are funny in regards to Flight Simulator, for years everyone thought it would be impossible to simulate one accurately in FS, it took FSL six years to figure out how to do it, which is kind of why it costs so much, but the Aerosoft one is almost as good and to be honest, it only really lacks all the emergency flight law reversion modes of the real thing, which is what the FSL one does accurately simulate.

Oh, there is one other cool and realistic FS Airbus too by the way, but it is an A300B4-200, so it's not a fancy fly by wire one. However, it is cool - I gave it a Gold Star Award. Here's my Avsim review of that one, note that since that review it has been updated and does now have a retrofitted FMC:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0410/Simcheck/A300.htm

Alan Bradbury