Sign in to follow this  
Lbt564

intel I7700K liquid cooler or Air cooler

1 hour ago, JamesHongKong said:

Swapping them - reason being I actually tested it out on my current system with the stock vs replacement (quieter) Noctua fans and the temp difference was absolutely negligible. I did go for the Noctua's that are designed/recommended for radiator usage though rather than the stock case fans. If I have temp issues I'll test it with the Corsairs - I know the RPM on them is higher but so is the noise. Mind you not as noisy as my current Cooler Master AIO fans - absolutely ridiculous.

My CPU has been de-lidded by the way so I'm hoping I can keep temps down nicely overall. Trading a couple of degress with quieter fans is one of the trade offs I'm prepared to go with (or at least try out).

Funnily enough I watched that video a couple of months ago and was planning on getting some incense sticks! Haha 

Ha, I was intending to do the same, looked for some incense sticks at the shops locally but couldn't see any. Just out of curiosity really.

Would those be the Noctua NF-A14 fans? 

Did you delid yourself or someone else? Liquid Pro/Ultra? Should be super cool, minus 15 to 30 most are achieving.

4 hours ago, JamesHongKong said:

Swapping them - reason being I actually tested it out on my current system with the stock vs replacement (quieter) Noctua fans and the temp difference was absolutely negligible.

Did you use the Corsair Link software when you tried the Corsair fans? I can hear my H110iGT fans (just) without the software but with it, using the Quiet profile, it's almost completely silent (approx 880 RPM for each fan). Your cooler has exactly the same fans as mine (SP140L x 2) so I'm surprised you could hear them.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 hours ago, JamesHongKong said:

Double post for some reason!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

16 hours ago, martin-w said:

Would those be the Noctua NF-A14 fans? 

Did you delid yourself or someone else? Liquid Pro/Ultra? Should be super cool, minus 15 to 30 most are achieving.

Yeah those are the fans - I really like them in my current set up (which uses a Cooler Master AIO) and think they'll work well. 

I didn't delid myself - I got the guys at Silicon Lottery to do it and I chose a binned 5.1 Ghz chip - whether I run at this consistently or not, time will tell. I have to get back into remembering how to do overclocking properly (safely) - I think I'll set up a profile for max settings and most of the time run things at stock speeds unless flying.

13 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Did you use the Corsair Link software when you tried the Corsair fans? I can hear my H110iGT fans (just) without the software but with it, using the Quiet profile, it's almost completely silent (approx 880 RPM for each fan). Your cooler has exactly the same fans as mine (SP140L x 2) so I'm surprised you could hear them.

I've tried various fan profiles - for max cooling vs noise, I feel the Noctua's give me the best performance - they were within a degree or two in my previous tests. With the rest of the airflow in the case being excellent I don't see it as a problem. If you want some Corsair Fans I'll sell them to you cheap ;-)

9 hours ago, JamesHongKong said:

Yeah those are the fans - I really like them in my current set up (which uses a Cooler Master AIO) and think they'll work well. 

Great fans. I'm using 5 NF-S12A's. I also have a couple of NF-F12 focused flow fans on my shelf. The D15S has an NF-A15. Very nice fan, 140 frame mount but 150 blades.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Great fans.

Just got the fans and H115i all installed - going to transfer my current GTX780Ti over tomorrow and boot her up - still waiting for the custom 1080Ti's to be released and most likely going to try and get an EVGA FTW 3 or the SC2 - bit of initial set up and testing to do tomorrow as well as making sure I've got all the cables and components correctly installed - my first build switch on - wish me lots of luck!

18 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yes, lots of luck James. I'm sure it will all go well. 

Thanks Martin - my luck seems to have been good as I type to you from my new system! Booted up first time and a straightforward install of Windows 10 followed. Updated all drivers etc and I have just had an initial play with overclocking - using the Asus 5Ghz OC profile in the Bios I have seen a max temp of 60 degrees at 5Ghz with it staying around 55 to be honest. Ran a very short stress test and it maxed out at 60 again. Voltage (set to auto currently) maxed at 1.37v during the test. I'm going to play a bit more tomorrow but I'm chuffed so far with the temps and performance! Did you mention in another post that Realbench was your favoured stress test software? I tried downloading it but the .zip file is empty (from the Asus website). Going to play a bit more tomorrow but all set up and pretty amazed with the performance so far. Going to go for the 5.1 Ghz I should be able to achieve - not sure on the voltage for it but will experiment. 

I would also suggest my Samsung NVME drive is playing a part because all Windows activity (installing, zipping etc) is super fast. 

1 hour ago, JamesHongKong said:

Thanks Martin - my luck seems to have been good as I type to you from my new system! Booted up first time and a straightforward install of Windows 10 followed. Updated all drivers etc and I have just had an initial play with overclocking - using the Asus 5Ghz OC profile in the Bios I have seen a max temp of 60 degrees at 5Ghz with it staying around 55 to be honest. Ran a very short stress test and it maxed out at 60 again. Voltage (set to auto currently) maxed at 1.37v during the test. I'm going to play a bit more tomorrow but I'm chuffed so far with the temps and performance! Did you mention in another post that Realbench was your favoured stress test software? I tried downloading it but the .zip file is empty (from the Asus website). Going to play a bit more tomorrow but all set up and pretty amazed with the performance so far. Going to go for the 5.1 Ghz I should be able to achieve - not sure on the voltage for it but will experiment. 

I would also suggest my Samsung NVME drive is playing a part because all Windows activity (installing, zipping etc) is super fast. 

using the Asus 5Ghz OC profile in the Bios

That will be a generic voltage that Asus have determined works for most. So a "one size fits all" voltage. In which case, if you have Five Way Optimisation for your MB, you might want to give that a bash. It will run a series of stress tests and base it's overclock on your unique system. So voltage and thus temps will probably be even lower. If you have 5WO, don't set the stress tests to the minimum 15 secs. 15 secs for each test is only stable for 80% of boards. Set it higher. Other settings I can help you with if you want to give it a bash.

I have seen a max temp of 60 degrees at 5Ghz with it staying around 55 to be honest.

Fantastic! Given that delidding drops temps by 15 - 30 degrees, not surprising though. Looks like your chip has dropped closer to 30 degrees, and/or a winner in the silicone lottery.

Did you mention in another post that Realbench was your favoured stress test software?

It's the only stress test I bother with these days.

Does this work...

https://rog.asus.com/articles/news/realbench-v2-43-new-version-available-now/

13 hours ago, martin-w said:

Other settings I can help you with if you want to give it a bash.

Hi Martin,

That's very kind of you - actually, I'm aware that I've kind of hijacked this thread a bit so I'm just going to start a new one about overclocking.

James