Sign in to follow this  
lizzard

Question about tweaking FSX via fsx.cfg

Hello!

I´m not verry experienced when it comes to work with files.

I have tried to improve how things come out in FSX by adding lines in the fsx.cfg-file as described in different tweaking guides, for example HIGHMEMFIX=1, Affinitymask...etc. After adding those lines it seams to work really good. But when I returned to read my fsx.cfg-file ( just for qurious) I notice that the lines I added in the file are all disapeared...?? I do know that I saved my changings. I know I changed the"TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024" to 2048, but now it´s back on 1024. HIGHMEMFIX=1 is gone and all other changings too. But I do notice graphic improvements.

Did I do something wrong?

jeppe

If after making changes in your FSX.cfg like Texture_Max_Load=2048, you readjust any sliders while in the Sim, the .cfg will reset to default.  Like going back to 1024.  Kind of a confusing explanation!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, charliearon said:

If after making changes in your FSX.cfg like Texture_Max_Load=2048, you readjust any sliders while in the Sim, the .cfg will reset to default.  Like going back to 1024.  Kind of a confusing explanation!

Well maybe I had made changes within the sims "settings" to adapt the resoution to match my screen. but after that I made the changes in the config. Was I supposed to do all changes via the config file?

Unless I am adding any lines to the FSX.cfg that weren't there from the beginning, I tend to change

the sliders in the Sim and then look at the FSX.cfg to just see or verify the changes.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

texture max load doesn't help the scenery in any way, only if you have an add on like PMDG that uses high res textures, it has nothing to do with your screen resolution. Affinity mask is such a thing to, what CPU do you have and to what value did you set it?

Herman

Thanks for for aspects regarding how to make Changes.

My question was rather if anyone know what happened to the lines I added in the cfg-file. Are they supposed to stay in the cfg to be readable or are they overwritten by some reason?

My CPU is an i7 920 2.67GHz  and I uppgraded GPU to Asus Geeforce GTX960 4GB and expanded DDR to 12GB.  So thats one step to improve the ability for FSX, the other step was an attempt to tweak through the cfg-file. As my CPU is a quad core I wanted to separate the loads from OS and FSX.

But.... As I cant find my added lines in the cfg-file I still wonder.... Did I do it right?? Or do I have to make it an other way???

Just to be sure....you are looking in the FSX.cfg not the FSX.cfg.txt?  And you are sure you "saved"

the changes you made?

Charlie Aron

Texture max load, LOD radius and some are returned to default every time you make a change in the settings. With your CPU I would leave affinity mask out since FSX needs all the CPU power it can get and with the wrong Affinity mask you'll get the exact opposite. Also leave texture max load at default 1024. Try fiddling with the sliders in FSX to get better frames, autogen hits on the system as well as water settings to high, weather settings; cloud draw distance set it low and cloud density to, no aircraft shadows or bloom, set up NVidia inspector properly and set frame rate to 30 in game. With all of this you can gain a lot but your CPU is a little low on speed, try to find one more fast that fits in the same socket ( they are exchangeable without any software reinstall ). 12 Gb RAM doesn't help FSX, 8 GB is enough as long as it is fast and with a low case latency number.

Herman

7 hours ago, charliearon said:

Just to be sure....you are looking in the FSX.cfg not the FSX.cfg.txt?  And you are sure you "saved"

the changes you made?

Yes! I´m in the cfg.txt. And yes I saved it.

6 hours ago, lizzard said:

Yes! I´m in the cfg.txt. And yes I saved it.

Well, there's your problem. You're not supposed to be in the cfg.txt. The file you should be editing is fsx.cfg

Guess I shoulda made my NOT in the FSX.cfg.txt Bigger or bigly or hugely!

Charlie Aron

8 hours ago, andreh said:

Well, there's your problem. You're not supposed to be in the cfg.txt. The file you should be editing is fsx.cfg

Aha! That´s the information I really needed. I was absolutely sure that all the changes was supposed to be done in the txt.

Thank You!

22 hours ago, lizzard said:

Aha! That´s the information I really needed. I was absolutely sure that all the changes was supposed to be done in the txt.

Thank You!

You're welcome, buddy