Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

CTD always at the same location

Hello everybody! 

I've been testing the same flight since some months and P3D always CTD at the same location (3.4.22, nvidia 378.33 recomended, windows 10 home 64).

It is from Buenos Aires to Heathrow and it CTD always when i am near Capo Verde islands and Tenerife island, near Mauritania, in the middle of the ocean. 

Unfortunately it simply closes to desktop, no event log. 

I use orbx products for europe and north america so it does not make sense thinking the culprit is orbx. 

I use FsPassengers, i dubt it can be the problem. 

Ai Traffic is zeroed. 

I tried with different planes, same result. 

VAS is ok for the whole flight. 

Does anybody have a clue? 

Thanks a lot. 

I am going back decades, so this might not be of help, but in the old days of FSX if you had a bad Bgl scenery file, and flew in that area, it would crash the sim. Might try disabling some of your scenery in that area and see if that helps. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

More than likely that it is a corrupt file that was added during a scenery installation which affects that particular area. Very hard to track down. I had exactly the same issue back in the days of FS9 when the sim used to crash when I crossed a certain section of Southern Germany.

Apart from uninstalling every piece of add-on scenery you may have I found it easier to uninstall FS9 and do a clean install. It cleared up the issue right away. A pain in the a**, to be sure, but also a blessing in disguise since you'll have a clean, untainted version of your sim (P3D) which you can then tweak and add to.

Cheers!

Edit: You could try Bob's suggestion and hopefully that would work which means you save yourself a lot of time and effort doing a re-install.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Thanks guys. The problem is that in the area it crashes i got no addon :-( It would be like flying vanilla there in Africa.

I know it will be extremely hard to find this out.

I have the same problem when flying over the NE part of Canada which sucks for when I want to do those long European flights to the West Coast of the US. I usually get a ntdll.dll error in the log after the crash. It only crashes in that one part of the world though. Have tried disabling any addon scenery that is even remotely close but still get the crash each time. 

On 3/20/2017 at 4:27 AM, Alberto Zanot said:

Does anybody have a clue? 

Check out the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10 on how to fix most CTD's and Freezes.  See page 7 for downloading the AppCrashView program and guidance on looking at your Event Viewer for clues regarding your crash.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

UPDATE:

Thanks Jim, that would have been my next step, but maybe i found the cause.
Against my hopes, it looks like it is FsPassengers. And the wrost thing is that this does not make any sense to me.
I did again (and again and again... for the 7th time or more now) the long flight without FsP (keeping all OrbX and other big stuff) and i was able to takeoff from SAEZ, cruise at 320 KIAS @ FL300, and land to EGLL after about 14 hours, with no problem. Also VAS was rock solid 1.35 GB left all time.
Now, my only explanation is that it is not about an exact place, scenery, geographical coords... It is more about time than the place, and after that exact time FsP makes P3D close to desktop.
This time, is about after 7 - 8 hours of flying, just there, near Tenerife as said in the OP.
Now i am even more clueless. :-(
I will post to Dan from FsP, hoping he got some good news or hint.

The previous or really old version of FSPassengers was crashing FSX a lot but have not heard it happening too much in the latest version.  You flew for a long time before the crash so that is weird that suddenly FSP would crash.

Thanks for the update.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes indeed it is strange, but according to fsp forums, i am not the only one, and it looks like latest fsp in combimation with latest p3d got some problems on long haul flights. I'll keep updated here as well. 

I have the same problem too. EDDF-KSEA, always cdt near Prince Charles island. Usually this problem should appear flying to west, i never had this problem flying to any other point. Since i have located the way to make the cdt happen, i´m making some tests to see if i can identify the problem.

It looks like uninstalling every visual c++ redistributable i had, and reinstaling just the latest version of each distribution (from 2006 to 2016 or something like that) helped.

Magic? i do not know.

Now i got only the latest two version (32 and 64) of every year release, and things are working.

Microsoft Visuals are used by developers to make sure their product is installed properly with the options they need to make their software work great.  Microsoft is an old game and requires C++2005 w/SP1.  Many of the old developers developed their products to work in FSX with C++ 2008.  Today, they are using the later C++ Visuals as they offer better options.  It still does not mean you can get rid of C++2005 w/SP1 as FSX needs that.  In most cases, C++ Visuals are not backward compatible but I believe Microsoft is trying to change that now as many are getting very tired of installing all of the 32 bit versions of C++ Redistributables.  If you remove Microsoft Visual 2005, FSX will not start up. Others have tried to get rid of the old visuals but they simply run into issues which are hard to find as you would think an older version of a MSV would work.

Microsoft also used Microsoft.net 1.1 to make sure FSX runs properly as intended by Microsoft.  I have found that Microsoft.net 2.0 will also work but Microsoft.net 1.1 is installed when you install FSX/Acceleration.  Add-on developers used different versions to make sure their add-on worked properly in FSX.  It still does not mean FSX will run with the latest version of Microsoft.net as the old program was not developed with the later versions.  Many of the older add-ons were developed with Microsoft.net 3.0 and 3.5 but IF they were updated, they usually will also update the Microsoft.net version.  So it is always good to have the latest update to an add-on.

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides more information and a Microsoft.net verification tool to make sure you have all of the required dotnets.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

8 hours ago, Alberto Zanot said:

It looks like uninstalling every visual c++ redistributable i had, and reinstaling just the latest version of each distribution (from 2006 to 2016 or something like that) helped.

Magic? i do not know.

Now i got only the latest two version (32 and 64) of every year release, and things are working.

So, can you complete now the same flight with fspassengers?

Yes, looked like to have many different versions of the same year distribution was the problem. 

But you know, PC's OS'es are not an exact science. While they should be :)