Sign in to follow this  
aviatorbja

Question on Texture Load times when switching views

Hello,  

First off,  747-400 QOSII is a masterpiece.   Love the plane.   I enjoy that when I have a message pop up on the EICAS, I can look it up in the quick reference handbook and learn how to deal with the message.   Makes me feel like I am flying the real thing.   Fuel system management is very cool.   Autopilot seems to be incredibly realistic.

Now to my question,  I'm using a relatively old Precision T5500 workstation with a pretty good XEON X5687 chip and 6GB of system RAM. I have a geForce GTX 750 TI with 2gb of video RAM.    When i switch views from external and then back in the VC, it takes a while for the PFD textures to load (about 3-4 seconds).   when I switch back to the external view, often the airplane's skin will not load for a few seconds.

I'd like to correct this, and I'm wondering if this is related to CPU speed, system memory, graphics memory, or hard drive speed?   I'm thinking of getting an SSD, but only if it will help this situation.

I'm running FSX with many add on packages (EZdok, orbix global, ASN, Rex textures, etc...)

Thanks for the assistance, and thank you PMDG for creating such an incredible, realistic aircraft for FSX.

Brian Andonian,  R/W commercial pilot lic #2600156

In my opinion, your problem is FSX because it doesn't not use the GPU on your video card for image processing.  It all falls to the CPU to make the switch in views.  I'm not sure what a 'pretty good' XEON X5687 is capable of but I suspect it is pale in comparison to i7 6700/7700 chips running today.  The SSD will decrease the time it takes an application to run and maybe prefetch scenery but I've found the biggest difference in going to SSD was windows startup.  I used to use the GTX750Ti with P3D and it performed very well, which is why I suspect FSX and your CPU.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan is spot on.  FSX has always been a good test of one's computer hardware even back in the old days of Sub Logic.  This display issue is less noticeable in FSX-SE, but you will find that it is still present even if you upgrade to a GTX 900 or 1000 series graphics card.  I can't wait for a 64Bit version of P3D to be released in the hope that it will finally cure lots of existing Fltsim VAS and memory issues (I wish)!

Bertie Goddard