Sign in to follow this  

ProcessExplorer

I am running PDMG 747 QOTS II for FSX on a Windows 10 64-bit PC.  I fired up ProcessExplorer out of curiosity for the first time to see my VAS use.  In the help I'd found online re PE, it said that FSX.exe would be near the top of the list in VAS use.  However, on mine, I have a whole lot of processes above fsx.exe.  I have a screenshot but can't see how to upload it into my post to show you what I mean.  I've tried copy\paste, etc so not sure how to add pic attachments.

fsx.exe is 2,473,464K but above that are about 30 processes using about 2,147,583,000 K approximately.

Is this normal for a Windows 10 machine and its background processes?

Thanks.

You can collapse most of that stuff by clicking on the minus in a box at wininit.exe. Your applications will be running under explorer.exe.

22 minutes ago, junkyspam7 said:

fsx.exe is 2,473,464K but above that are about 30 processes using about 2,147,583,000 K approximately.

This is correct.  A 64-bit process is allocated 2T of memory. This is an obvious example of how VAS is much different from physical memory.  FSX is using about 2.4 GB of it's 4 GB allocation, and 4 GB will appear as something like 4,2xxx,xxx KB.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

You can collapse most of that stuff by clicking on the minus in a box at wininit.exe. Your applications will be running under explorer.exe.

That did the trick!  Thanks for replying and helping me out Dan, appreciate it.

I would also check out this little tool available on avsim:

https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=194150

It's a VAS monitor that I tend to open once in a while, in order to see what my system has consumed. It's a little easier to read since, it shows the amount of VAS that's consumed and amount that's remaining.

Cheers,

Sante Sottile

19 hours ago, Tino said:

It's a VAS monitor that I tend to open once in a while, in order to see what my system has consumed. It's a little easier to read since, it shows the amount of VAS that's consumed and amount that's remaining.

Cheers,

Thanks Tino!

19 hours ago, Tino said:

Cheers,

Hi Tino

Just tested that out, it's an excellent little tool and prob the easiest to use, nice one!

Thanks