Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

New installer to update global scenery

I found Laminar put a new xp11 installer online that allows to update the global scenery. Now default there are high rise buildings were they are supposed to be. I checked out my home town in Europe (Antwerp) and it is a huge improvement over the previous cut. Together with some vfr landmarks I found on the org, I can only say one thing: wow.

Btw, You can find the same vfr  landmarks on Simheaven, a must.

• Upvote 1

Can you be more specific about where the new Global Scenery installer is located?  I have checked the installer app and the x-plane website and I do not see it...

Thanks

Here it is....it now updates Scenery..

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/thanks/?downloadNow=true&os=Windows&download_url=%2Fupdate%2Finstallers11%2FX-Plane11InstallerWindows.zip

Press Download for Windows...and it will download the XP11 Installer.exe  Run it..and away you go.  You might need your XP11 licence number, so be prepared to have it ready.

I was about to update, when the installer told me that I was about to download 47 GB'!  I stopped the process. There's now way that any update could be that, could it?!?!?  Just wanted make it clear, that I was using the Update Scenery Mask, and NOT the ADD/REMOVE Scenery Mask.  The installer read my 9,980 plus files, and still wanted to download 47 GB's to 'update'.  I thought that was wrong, and I was only going to replace the entire Global Scenery once more.  I already made that mistake once!  Cost me some bandwidth costs!

Alaska wouldn't be 47 GB's, er...right?

49 minutes ago, jh71 said:

I found Laminar put a new xp11 installer online that allows to update the global scenery. Now default there are high rise buildings were they are supposed to be. I checked out my home town in Europe (Antwerp) and it is a huge improvement over the previous cut. Together with some vfr landmarks I found on the org, I can only say one thing: wow.

Btw, You can find the same vfr  landmarks on Simheaven, a must.

Question, did you download 47 GB's as your update?

1 minute ago, flybius said:

Thanks! Downloading now...

No problem..but just be sure that you only updating scenery, and not re-downloading the entire Global...because my 'update' was going to be 47 GB's of download!!!  I stopped it, and want this clarified before I burn through 47 GB's of download allowance.

28 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

No problem..but just be sure that you only updating scenery, and not re-downloading the entire Global...because my 'update' was going to be 47 GB's of download!!!  I stopped it, and want this clarified before I burn through 47 GB's of download allowance.

Good catch, mine was 17gb, but I did not really take notice, I am on unlimited and very high speed. But yeah, worth a warning ! I think Laminar planned to do it as an update, and not a redownload, later. I've found it, maybe you should wait for the go from Ben.

I just have North America installed... so my update was about 5GB. Do you notice any difference in the scenery?

11 minutes ago, flybius said:

I just have North America installed... so my update was about 5GB. Do you notice any difference in the scenery?

I didn't download.  When I saw it was going to be 47 GB's..I decided to see what that was all about. Did they completely replace the scenery, or just certain files of it.  That's what I don't know...and didn't want to burn through that amount of GB download, without understanding just EXACTLY what is being updated...  So no...I didn't yet.  Did you notice anything different in areas you are familiar with?  That would be a good talking point! :)

1 minute ago, jh71 said:

In Europe, there is. It was lacking sky scrapers in the cities, now they are there. I did not check for other improvements yet.

How many GB's was it wanting to update for you?  

I previously had what I thought was all global scenery downloaded. Over last weekend, I decided to open the installer and just double check. I think I downloaded about 9 gigs of scenery, which was sort of a surprise. Looked like far northern latitudes. Maybe they are slowly adding content to the servers? 

13 minutes ago, jh71 said:

I only have North America and Europe, I believe it was 17Gb.

Interesting, I have North America, and parts of Europe, Norway, Great Britain, etc..and mine was asking for a 47 GB download.  Weird.