Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

New installer to update global scenery

There was talk a while back, during the early betas that Ben and the team were working to add Alaska and the upper latitudes, something to do with file/mesh compression in order for all of the world to fit on the dvd versions...don't quote me though.  What I would like to know if these improvements that have been seen make for a better replacement to AIPilot's HD Mesh v3 and the World2XP additions?  I'd love to be able to free up some space or at least, have everything condensed into one package.  Every time I have to consult my custom scenery folder, my ulcer acts up.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

11 minutes ago, Jimm said:

There was talk a while back, during the early betas that Ben and the team were working to add Alaska and the upper latitudes, something to do with file/mesh compression in order for all of the world to fit on the dvd versions...don't quote me though.  What I would like to know if these improvements that have been seen make for a better replacement to AIPilot's HD Mesh v3 and the World2XP additions?  I'd love to be able to free up some space or at least, have everything condensed into one package.  Every time I have to consult my custom scenery folder, my ulcer acts up.

That made me smile. In my case, I just don't want to burn through all those download and time, GB's, to only see that it is basically the same scenery, but with a few more auto-gen buildings or so.  If we can find out exactly what is the difference in scope, between what we all have now, and the new 'updates'...that would be very helpful, for one to make a decision to move on them, or pass at this period in time.

24 minutes ago, Jimm said:

What I would like to know if these improvements that have been seen make for a better replacement to AIPilot's HD Mesh v3 and the World2XP additions? 

For cities they are better than the HD Mesh files. In the countryside the HD Mesh has simply the bgetter landscape resolution. World2XP is a different question. The normal advice at the moment is: Use in X-Plane 11 the default scenery (which is improved with the new files) and use the new VFR landmarks filkes ( http://simheaven.com/?page_id=14813 ). You get a much better performance.

This will change, when we get new HD Mesh and UHD Mesh files, which will have the height informations already included.

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

That made me smile. In my case, I just don't want to burn through all those download and time, GB's, to only see that it is basically the same scenery, but with a few more auto-gen buildings or so.  If we can find out exactly what is the difference in scope, between what we all have now, and the new 'updates'...that would be very helpful, for one to make a decision to move on them, or pass at this period in time.

1 hour ago, Longranger said:

For cities they are better than the HD Mesh files. In the countryside the HD Mesh has simply the bgetter landscape resolution. World2XP is a different question. The normal advice at the moment is: Use in X-Plane 11 the default scenery (which is improved with the new files) and use the new VFR landmarks filkes ( http://simheaven.com/?page_id=14813 ). You get a much better performance.

This will change, when we get new HD Mesh and UHD Mesh files, which will have the height informations already included.

Perhaps the safest, and least painful thing to do right now is to just wait it out.  There have been little hints lately, that show that XP11 is shaping up quite nicely and like the old saying goes, good things come to those who wait.   Think about it, we've waited this long, a little longer won't hurt.  If it turns out that the final results don't suit your needs, there are always alternatives. :)

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I would advise patience on this too. We're getting pretty close to the last beta according to Ben's latest post on the dev blog, and then RC and release.

They may do a final cut on the .dsf files right at the end, including whatever they do to pack in the high latitude scenery. That could mean downloading big files all over again when 1.0 comes out.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I downloaded and installed it. When I ran it there was nothing to download I was already up to date?

Try again.  When I tried it 2 hrs ago there was nothing, now it is and I am downloading.

Contents just may need some time to progagate over the nameservers.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Can anyone confirm if the scenery tiles have been updated with the height data for cities in Europe? 

8 hours ago, JamesIL said:

I downloaded and installed it. When I ran it there was nothing to download I was already up to date?

You have to choose something like "online scenery update"...not sure if the term is correct...

I`m downloading now and i hope it really adds something new.

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Can anyone confirm if the scenery tiles have been updated with the height data for cities in Europe? 

I tried in Madrid and Munich and it seems to me that this data was updated, at least there were more high rises with different heights as before. Can't speak for the accuracy though. 

Hans

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Where I checked (my home town) it is pretty accurate, while there were no high buildings before, they show up now in the correct location.

My download was 27.4 GB - whatever that is worth.  I also updated the nVidia drivers and something has jumped my framerates upward  by 10.  Good stuff whichever it was.

John

John Wingold

I bit the bullet, and downloaded my 47 GB's...and now will see what the 2 hours brought to the plate....here we go----------------------------------------------------------------------rotate------------------------------------------------>

How do the Enriched Autogen files fir into this equation?  Should they be used with the new Landmark files?

Thanks,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor