Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

New installer to update global scenery

Well, I don't see too great a stand-out, in difference from my last Global Scenery cut, but it did clear up a couple of CTD crashes at a couple of trouble airports,  For some reason, I would CTD when trying to place myself at either Phoenix Sky Harbor (Mr. T), or CYBD (Bella Coola).  Now...no problems, so all is good!

Just a quick Post Edit:   Here is a shot of myself just having landed at Toronto Pearson, in from Michigan.  Before this cut, Toronto CYYZ Pearson, was unusable, as it was not flat, but hill 'n dale.  With this latest update cut, Pearson is full out operational, and the properly, flat.  So, you have to dig around, but there certainly is updates and upgrades in this latest Global Scenery cut.  Quite pleased, indeed!

Cirrus_SF50_19.png

Hi,

to begin with, I am not a "convert" but just enjoy XP as an alternative now and then. And I only fly VFR GA.

From my point of view, the recent scenery upgrade is quite impressive (which btw. came in two junks, one yesterday and another one today). Not only adds it the missing high-rises but they also seem to have improved the base dataset in general. I checked with my home town as well as my town of birth. Notably the latter one, a small town, looked quite terrible before with it's major churches subsituted by two ugly whatnot blocks before. There are now churches where they belong, while a number of more strange misplaced block buildings have been removed and the whole thing looks much more consistent to reality now.

I also checked Vancouver with Vancouver Downtown having been sort of a funny garden city before. Now you have high-rises where they belong, and it's overall much more close to reality.

While it can fill the bill of a high-quality payware add-on, I find this really impressive as just default scenery now. In my eyes, that's the one single improvement mattering most since I bought the original 11.0 beta. (Next come the clouds.)

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I don't know for anyone else, but my frame rates have gone up since downloading the texture content.  I had the whole world already installed.  The updater found some 3gb more content.   Now in some places my FPS have increased from 5 to 15 Frames.  I am still trying to understand why...   

7 hours ago, pmb said:

There are now churches where they belong

Curches as part of default autogen? This would be an improvement. Or do you also have some other landmarks installed?

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

22 hours ago, tonywob said:

Can anyone confirm if the scenery tiles have been updated with the height data for cities in Europe?

I'm not familiar with Europe so I don't fly there much, but I do visit Asia often and I was really happy to see cities such as Osaka, Japan; Hong Kong and Beijing, China have new height data. Makes a huge difference now.

Below is Osaka with the appropriate building heights and commercial building zoning . Before this was all just residential autogen. Very impressive. vyHPJpT.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MarioDonick said:

Curches as part of default autogen? This would be an improvement. Or do you also have some other landmarks installed?

You're right. I just chcked, I have the w2xp objects installed, I forgot to double-check..

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, MarioDonick said:

I have churches spread around towns, as well  now.

8 minutes ago, pmb said:

You're right. I just chcked, I have the w2xp objects installed, I forgot to double-check..

Ah, I see.

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I have churches spread around towns, as well  now.

Also using w2xp objects in addition?

5 hours ago, MarioDonick said:

Unfortunately you are right. I disabled all custom scenery and gone are the churches. There still have been a number of unfit buildings removed, but the churches are just blocks (flat low-height, btw.)

Kind regards, Michael

Well now I am once again confused.  Do you need the W2XP files when you use the new Landmark files?  Also, if you download the new scenery update from Laminar, should you still install the Landmark and W2XP scenery?

Thanks,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

53 minutes ago, Howiefly13 said:

Well now I am once again confused.  Do you need the W2XP files when you use the new Landmark files?  Also, if you download the new scenery update from Laminar, should you still install the Landmark and W2XP scenery?

The autogen is still just normal buildings, nothing else. So yes, you still need custom scenery to add landmarks etc.

Nice to hear that the new "high buildings" do not go fully unrecognized, and make the change which I hoped they will make.

Its also quite likely, that for the high but not "very high" buildings, there might come some nice artwork improvement which will make them look even more "natural" (especially in Europe). But you didn't hear anything :wink: ... just lets wait and see if or what will make its way to an upcoming XP release.

And no, the default autogen definitely does NOT contain churches at this moment. But for generic landmarks (like churches etc.), the above mentioned Simheave add-on is a very great but still lightweight (and thus easy on performance) addition:

• Upvote 3

Just about 3GB updates: the previously missing stuff towards the north pole. No new autogen. What's the trigger to get it?

2 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Nice to hear that the new "high buildings" do not go fully unrecognized, and make the change which I hoped they will make.

Its also quite likely, that for the high but not "very high" buildings, there might come some nice artwork improvement which will make them look even more "natural" (especially in Europe). But you didn't hear anything :wink: ... just lets wait and see if or what will make its way to an upcoming XP release.

And no, the default autogen definitely does NOT contain churches at this moment. But for generic landmarks (like churches etc.), the above mentioned Simheave add-on is a very great but still lightweight (and thus easy on performance) addition:

It really chances the cities in Europe, and make them much more recognizable. Thanks !

12 minutes ago, AnsorgJ said:

What's the trigger to get it?

Corrected building heights.

And I hope that lake Bodensee has returned, but still have to download 25 GB to confirm that...