Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

New installer to update global scenery

1 minute ago, tonywob said:

The great part is that at present both types of scenery are completely free, so it's easy enough to evaluate yourself :)

This is true and I have it all installed, save for creating my own through Ortho4XP (I don't have the HDD space), but with all of them installed, I thought perhaps there was too much going on and maybe it was causing some performance decrease, but as I have been using it all from the beginning, I am used to the great performance I already have with that combo.  I just figured if I could shave off some load, it might get a performance increase and I could free up some room in the future for my hard drive.

I appreciate your candor and in-depth explanations Tony, thanks.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Should we replace the installer within the X-Plane folder with this version or should they be run separately?

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Yes, when you run the new installer (You need to redownload it from their website) there is an option to update the scenery. For Europe, my download was 8GB or so

19 hours ago, AnsorgJ said:

Look again at the buttons in the installer 

What should I be looking for exactly?

\Robert Hamlich/

Being relatively new to the X-Plane world, I'm a little confused.  I have some Ortho4XP tiles installed in my custom scenery folder.  The scenery update says I have 47GB worth of scenery to update.  I'm curious if I were to download the scenery update, would it replace, overwrite, delete, or cause my Ortho4XP tiles not to work or be present any longer?  Does it update something else that would have no effect on my current Ortho4XP, as I would like to keep the tiles I have.

Dan

Daniel

14 minutes ago, dtm211 said:

Being relatively new to the X-Plane world, I'm a little confused.  I have some Ortho4XP tiles installed in my custom scenery folder.  The scenery update says I have 47GB worth of scenery to update.  I'm curious if I were to download the scenery update, would it replace, overwrite, delete, or cause my Ortho4XP tiles not to work or be present any longer?  Does it update something else that would have no effect on my current Ortho4XP, as I would like to keep the tiles I have.

Dan

It will not affect your Ortho4XP tiles in anyway. However, you may want to redo your autogen overlays to make use of the new data.

6 minutes ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

Nice building sitting in the middle of the East River in New York City.

John

File a bug report.

I ran the the new installer and downloaded 24 GB of updates/scenery files.  I have terrain at lower latitudes (Australia) but nothing at +60 latitude.  Are these scenery files still missing?  I double checked my installed scenery on the "add/remove scenery" map and it shows Iceland/Greenland as blue or installed.  Thanks for any responses.   

Chad Griffin

5 hours ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

Nice building sitting in the middle of the East River in New York City.

John

Can't see it.

Please make sure you do NOT have any other add-on scenery installed (especially some OSM based stuff).

OepnStreetmap (OSM) has the big pylons of the large NY bridges tagged as building with some height. If any othe OSM based scenery generator took this at face value (without checking if its on water), then it simply spawns those "buildings" with the given height.

Even though the latest XP11 scenery already uses OSM building height data (which would be taken from these pylons too) .... it did not spawn (at least when I look at the relatively pristine scenery) any of them in the middle of the river.

So, before reporting scenery bugs like this, also - always - make sure to not look at some interferences by 3rd party add-ons!

2 hours ago, Griff said:

nothing at +60 latitude.  Are these scenery files still missing?

+60+000 to +60+170 is there, but not +60-010 to +60-170.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

5 hours ago, Griff said:

I ran the the new installer and downloaded 24 GB of updates/scenery files.  I have terrain at lower latitudes (Australia) but nothing at +60 latitude.  Are these scenery files still missing?  I double checked my installed scenery on the "add/remove scenery" map and it shows Iceland/Greenland as blue or installed.  Thanks for any responses.   

3 hours ago, MarioDonick said:

+60+000 to +60+170 is there, but not +60-010 to +60-170.

I have to correct myself.

After I used the "Add/Remove Scenery" button, selected "none" and then "all", the installer also downloaded dsf files for +60-X. So all seems to be there now :)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

16 hours ago, alpilotx said:

before reporting scenery bugs like this, also - always - make sure to not look at some interferences by 3rd party add-ons!

Plain Jane default XP-11.  No add-ons.  I'll search and make sure nothing else has migrated.

John

EDIT - I did this twice this morning, just to make sure I was not overlooking something. Went into my X-Plane folder, removed the "Custom Scenery" folder, went to my updater and it re-downloaded a clean "Custom Scenery" folder, re-ran the scenery updater just to make sure everything was up to date.  Took off from La Guardia and flew essentially south on the East River and there it was.  Same building - same place.  No big problem, but I just wanted to make sure I was not going crazy.  

John Wingold