Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Setting stab trim before engine start

Hi chaps,

For some reason (since the update, though almost certainly coincidentally) I haven't been able to set the stabiliser trim on the new 747 prior to pushback with pre-start items complete and AUX pump on sys 4 running. I can only set the trim once the engines are started.

Can't be a bug as I know PMDG wouldn't make a mistake like that, so it's obviously something I'm doing wrong. By the way, my trim mappings are fine and the trim switches are moving on the control column, they just don't do anything.

Cheers,

I can set the trim after the APU is started and before engine start.

Trim uses Hydraulics 2 and 3. Are you sure you had the electric (or optionally pneumatic) demand pumps in Auto prior to engine start? After start, your engine hydraulic pumps would have been running (and providing hydraulic power to the #2 and #3 systems)

Also, make sure you're not leaning on your joystick. Normally leaning on the control column in the opposite direction to the trimming action will cause the trim to stop (unless you are using the Alternate trim switches on the thrust quadrant). You may have to adjust your null zones.

Hope this helps

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Like John said, make sure #2 and #3 demand pumps are in Auto, that is the most obvious reason. You cannot trim without them being in Auto. The #4 aux pump is primarily for brakes and nose & body gear steering, but not stab trim.

You posted the same time I did John Price, so you know how the system works and have them in Auto, disregard my post then, your way ahead of me...

My trim set-up is always dead on with FMC....so not sure if that is right either since I never had to adjust it. And I thought it is always done thru FMC with Q3....LOL....Can someone teach me how to adjust the trim...and what to use? And how come my trim display always matches exact number in FMC? Doesn't make sense I guess....:blush:

I always set trim after engine start, it is the first thing I do when checking spoiler, aileron, elevator and rudder control movement.  Timing wise, this generally happens after pushback and I'm on parking brake, and on brake release I start taxi and set flaps.

Alex, full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please.  The FMC never sets trim.  Once A/P is active then trim and control surfaces are controlled by it but not the FMC.  If the trim happens to be the same as the FMC after setting up thrust and takeoff then that is just a coincidence.  Hydraulics are required for trim setting as already mentioned in this thread.

Dan Downs KCRP

On the topic of trim settings. IIRC, trim should be set to 6 points after landing, as this is its 'neutral' position. Setting up trim for departure should be done before startup, after HYD DEM PUMPS are in AUTO/AUX position.

Cheers,

23 hours ago, downscc said:

I always set trim after engine start, it is the first thing I do when checking spoiler, aileron, elevator and rudder control movement.  Timing wise, this generally happens after pushback and I'm on parking brake, and on brake release I start taxi and set flaps.

Alex, full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please.  The FMC never sets trim.  Once A/P is active then trim and control surfaces are controlled by it but not the FMC.  If the trim happens to be the same as the FMC after setting up thrust and takeoff then that is just a coincidence.  Hydraulics are required for trim setting as already mentioned in this thread.

Thanks....I understood that Hydraulics are required....but how actually you are adjusting the trim? NGX has a way, 777 does as well, but how you do it on Q3?

Must be coincidence that every of 9 flights I made so far trim was dead on...how, don't know.

3 minutes ago, rwy23 said:

but how actually you are adjusting the trim?

Elevator trim... same as NGX and 777.  Maybe I don't understand your question. The only difference is there is no tool tips indicating the exact amount, on the 747 you look at the dial and eyeball the setting. Close is good enough.

Dan Downs KCRP

6 minutes ago, downscc said:

Elevator trim... same as NGX and 777.  Maybe I don't understand your question. The only difference is there is no tool tips indicating the exact amount, on the 747 you look at the dial and eyeball the setting. Close is good enough.

I guess I am not asking right question, I know where is the dial....but, on NGX you move the trim wheel to set the trim, on 777 you move trim levers to set the trim, but what do you move on Q3 to set the trim.....

Thanks..

1 minute ago, rwy23 said:

on 777 you move trim levers to set the trim, but what do you move on Q3 to set the trim.....

You're not supposed to move those trim levers on the 777, actually. You're supposed to use the trim toggles on the yoke for both. Set a trim up/down command in the sim joystick/keyboard commands screen.

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

You're not supposed to move those trim levers on the 777, actually. You're supposed to use the trim toggles on the yoke for both. Set a trim up/down command in the sim joystick/keyboard commands screen.

I have to say I didn't know that....but I knew they are available on yoke (left handle), but why you not suppose to move that? Any difference in set up? Would be good to know...I think I watched your video on YT setting the trim.....

Q3 supposed to be set up on yoke as well I assume, but I think I tried and nothing happen......I did not set buttons for that thru FSUIPC...that might be the option...