Sign in to follow this  
FSXMB

New To FSX DX10

After a few years of given up on FSX and no new flight sim in sight, I have reinstalled FSX and activated DX10. After just a few tweaks, I did have a smoother experience. So I did a few more tweaks, and then a few more. Yes I have a few lights issues and I have the grayed vehicles at night and the occasional blue texure flash. But nothing too disruptive that it ruins my experience. (Any ideas on how to fix these would be greatly appreciated). FSX runs surprisingly well.

A few things that I have noticed that are bewildering me. I have invidia inspector set to frame limiter off and unlimited in FSX CFG but I max 30 FPS if I remove all the tweaks then my FPS reach 60. I know I need to go through every single tweak one by one to find it but thats a long process so I thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this. The other oddity but rather welcome one is, I think to do with nvidia inspector setting, I have FSX using on average 75% of my GPU but yes it will use 100%. I have never experienced FSX utilising much more than 25% of GPU.

Now while I dont mind the FPS being at 30 and I certainly dont mind FSX utilising more GPU, these things are alien to me with FSX and was wondering if anyone can help shed some light on it. I am not new to tweaking FSX but I try and get a result with as few tweaks as possible, is this all due to running FSX with DX10.

Appreciate any insight.

+1 for Steve's DX10 Fixer.  Simply brilliant, and adds years of life (and enjoyment) to FSX.  For configuring the sim, nVidia Inspector, and the Fixer (although Steve's manual included with the Fixer is great and current) simply Google "DX10 Fixer 'How-to' Guide" (for some reason I've not been able in the past to post a link here).  The How-to Guide plus Steve's Fixer manual makes it all rather easy.

HTH,

Greg

Thanks for the response, I was hoping for a non pay solution, as i'm just back into FSX and having spent £££££ in the past and most of it is out-dated now, and I have just renewed my yoke and rudder pedals, Ill have to wait a bit or back to DX9.

Again thanks for your time.

On 21/03/2017 at 10:59 AM, FSXMB said:

I have invidia inspector set to frame limiter off and unlimited in FSX CFG but I max 30 FPS

If you have vsync on with a 60Hz monitor and your FPS drop below 60, vsync will then limit you to 30 FPS, even with unlimited set. See http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html for a more detailed explanation. You can get around this by using adaptive vsync but vsync is then disabled whenever the FPS drop below the monitor's refresh rate which could result in tearing.

Another endorsement here for Steve's Fixer - well worth the money.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Well worth buying and the cloud shadows too. It breathes p3d into fsx while still maintaining good performance. I have P3D but find myself going back to fsx.

On 24/03/2017 at 7:32 PM, vortex681 said:

If you have vsync on with a 60Hz monitor and your FPS drop below 60, vsync will then limit you to 30 FPS, even with unlimited set. See http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html for a more detailed explanation. You can get around this by using adaptive vsync but vsync is then disabled whenever the FPS drop below the monitor's refresh rate which could result in tearing.

Another endorsement here for Steve's Fixer - well worth the money.

That definately helped me understand, thanks for the link.

Im reading post after post about the difference dx10 fixer makes and I will probably need to get it, as it seems to fix a lot that im not noticing.

I have purchased DX10 fixer and see visual improvement across the sim in general. I run 2 fsx.cfg, managed by FSX Go, 1 for GA and the other for more complex aircraft. Now I am going to admit, I dont fully understand a lot of the other options in DX10 fixer but I have managed to get satisfactory results with my GA CFG. Im sure they could be improved. My settings for my complex aircraft on the other hand has went south fullspeed and I cannot get anything satisfactory at all.

Before installing DX10 fixer in fsx dx10 I was getting about 25-30 fps with PMDG MD11 at a Uk2000 airport, now I am lucky if I get 15 fps. Now before someone jumps on the bandwagon and shaking their finger that its not DX10 fixer that has caused this, I am not saying it is or it isnt, what I am saying is not completely understanding the settings that I have set in my GA setup which work ok, they obviously dont work for my other setup.

In the options, legacy, shadows etc. There are a lot of entries that I dont fully understand, 1. if I have that issue and 2. do I need to fix it. The manual helps a little as it clearly illiustrates certain settings but skips over others and with this fixer clicking and checking everything, while it may work in some senarios but not all as Im finding out.

Any help with this would be appraciated especially if I could be pointed to a youtube DX10 fixer tutorial as I have found some but they are not tutorials in the loosest sense of the word.

There shouldn't be any difference in frame rates between dx10 with or without the fixer. Uninstall the libraries from the controller which effectively uninstalls the fixer from fsx and compare.

My settings if you accepted them during the install are what I recommend for everyday use.   The legacy shadows fixes fix legacy aircraft ( aircraft from fs2002) but should never be set for fsx aircraft.

Firstly I need to apologise for originally posting my issues in your support forum, but im here now, legitimately lol.  And thanks for your input.

1. GA DX10 Fixer OFF      2. GA DX10 Fixer ON

3. Airline DX10 Fixer OFF 4. Airline DX10 Fixer ON

Above is 2 sets of comparisons, between each comaprison you can see that there is about 10 FPS difference between DX10 Fixer on and off. Now GA aside as the drop in FPS is not an issue, I would like to find a way to keep DX10 Fixer active with the Complex Aircraft but just get a few FPS back to make it more manageable. 

Any suggestions you have, or anybody else who has dealt with similar, I am happy to try.

In the fixer shot the cpu is nearly 100% - the only thing I can think is effects as all the other fixer changes occur on the gpu not the cpu.

disable effects in the fixer and test again.

This is where I get lost like I said earlier, disable what effects where. In the tests, I unistalled the libraries like you said, then all I did was test both GA and Airline without DX10 fixer, took pics, repeated but with only the libraries install, I didnt do anything else then tested again.

What is seen in the MD11 shot with the fixer with the CPU is just a snat shot, I have all cores displayed only for testing but I can assure you that like all tests the cpu usage goes up and down constantly on cores 1-7.

Edited by FSXMB
Checking CPU Usage

I am afraid that you haven't really answered the question.

As another way to approach it what  does the diagnostics button report?

I suspect that you may have selected to convert all effects which as the diagnostics will report can severely impact performance in some circumstances.

As an aside I don't really understand why you have found  it so complicated - as it says on page 6 of the read me first from the purchase page all you really need to do is just accept my settings, agree to all three product features, fill in your 3rd party products and you are good to go.

if you want to tweak further then you can do so by reading the manual, and saving settings so you can revert.

Be Aware HD Shadows is set etc....

Diagnostic complete - no major issues found.

Firstly I am not criticising your program or your manual..... My original question was if anybody knew of a good youtube tutorial. I have found the sweetspot for my General aviation flying, Im very happy. I also run a complex aircraft configuration with some of the FSX settings turned down. There is a lot more that I am willing to compromise with this configuration, if theres a FPS hit then I need to consider if its worth the hit. ie/ Airport scenery, weather.....

In the option for my GA config, I installed most of your suggestions (There are some I still need to look further into) because I had FPS to play with. All I was asking for a better understanding via a tutorial so I can get my complex aircraft config looking as best it can without too much of a FPS hit.

I didnt want to get into this whole troubleshooting, but  when the author of the program replies to my request, I thought I was going to get a bit of insight into DX10 fixer, but before I know it, Ive fallen into the rabbit hole of troubleshooting FSX, AGAIN.:blink: But it is a learning curve and I do appreciate your input steve

While Ive been typing this, Ive been continuing tests, I found that the FPS hit is only during the day, Ive completed a few test at night and the FPS are the same with or without DX10 fixer.

And I am trying to help, but it's difficult because I have very little information to go on and your are assuming that there are some settings that impact performance that I can tell you about.  

As I have explained the fixer makes changes to the shaders that run on the gpu and there are no settings (other than effects) which should have any effect on cpu or any negative fps impact.

When comparing are you leaving fsx.cfg alone and just uninstalling  the fixer libraries from the dx10 controller  or are you doing anything else?

As an example in the 737ngx at the gate in Frankfurt I get around 30fps

This falls to about 24 fps when the mouse is visible.

Turning off aircraft casts shadows on self or removing forcevcshadows from fsx.cfg will boost it to 36 fps as that avoids the cpu of rendering the aircraft cockpit model twice to generate the shadows.

if I uninstall the fixer libraries I see the same fps in each scenario

shadows on plus forcevcshadowmap   30fps

as above plus mouse on screen      24fps

Aircraft casts shadow on self off   ( or remove forcevcshadows) 36fps