Sign in to follow this  
13ifs40

GSX with Ray smith scenery issues

Good Afternoon 

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a hand with a problem I am having with GSX from FSDT.

I downloaded updates from Ray Smith for KLAX, KIAD, and KORD.  The updates are great looking, however when i go to use GSX from FSDT the gates

are either out of position, or they don't show up as read by GSX at all.   I was wondering if anyone out there ever had this issue and if so they could help

explain a fix for someone who is not that computer bright.

thanks in advance for all your help

Ian Snow

i'd suggest first thing to try would be to go into the menus:

add-ons->couatl settings->restart couatl and rebuild airport cache

you should see a message about rebuilding and it takes a few minutes..

also make sure your entries in the right place in the scenery library, they should be above any default scenery.

if you use mytraffic that can conflict as well, in that case go to the mytraffic/scenery folder and rename ones that match the ones you are having problems at. for example, rename BR2_KLAX.BGL to BR2_KLAX.BGL.off

one other thing to try.. i think usually the ray smith stuff just says to put the files into the fsx/addon scenery/scenery folder but i find that generally things are more organized if you make a folder for each specific airport and add them directly from the scenery library dialog box. i don't really know if in practice this makes any difference to the sim though. 

good luck!

cheers,-andy crosby

Good afternoon Andy

Thanks for your answer.    I don't have mytraffic so that is not the problem, and the first thing i did was to run the rebuild airport cache.  I put his scenery in the FSX/addon scenery/ scenery folder.  Now your 3rd option i am a little confused.   You are saying 

i should make a folder called KORD for example and put it in the FSX/ scenery folder?

Thanks again for the help

Ian Snow

before messing about with your folders another thing you might want to try is download the free "simple airport scanner" from scruffyduck.org (the guys who make the ADE editor for airports.) this utility can show you if you have multiple AFCADS for the same airport, it may point out other files that could be conflicting.

but yeah, to explain what i meant in more detail, basically i make a folder for each airport. then you put a scenery folder inside there, and put the bgl files in that.

so for example i just installed ray's RJAA and it looks like this:

FSX/Addon Scenery/RJAA/scenery/RJAA_RS.BGL

then after making the folder and copying the files, go to scenery library, add area, browse to that folder and click on the white space in the middle of the dialog box to actually add it.. (this is due to bug with fsx and later versions of windows, for an example of what i mean this video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbWL8VnEqmU

honestly though i'm not sure that will help your problem. the main advantage to this approach is organization for readability, and it does let you move that specific airport to the top of your scenery library so you can ensure that it's overriding other stuff.

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

Hello  

Your right with my limited knowledge i might want to go easy on what i touch.   I will try that scruffy duck idea first and see

what that gets me

thanks again

Ian Snow

Hello

I ran the scruffy duck macro and it came out blank,   now either that is good, or bad   can't figure out which

thanks

Ian Snow

4 minutes ago, 13ifs40 said:

Hello

I ran the scruffy duck macro and it came out blank,   now either that is good, or bad   can't figure out which

hahhaha! well yeah it's probably bad since it makes your problem more mysterious. unfortunately i'm out of ideas.. have you tried posting on the GSX support forums over at the fsdt website? maybe somebody there will have a notion of the problem.

good luck!!

cheers,-andy crosby

Hello

Ok        i just noticed something     when i go to customize aircraft position it shows an AFCAD in the main scenery folder

Scenery\0302\scenery\apx24160bgl                  now     i think that could be the problem since i want it to read the one I

put in the add on scenery folder.    Or am i just lost.

i did post in the FSDT GSX forum yesterday but it was never replied to

thanks again

Ian Snow 

All extra airports, like the Ray Smith ones, should be placed in their own "Addon" scenery folder and that folder should be added to your scenery library configuration file and placed above the default airport scenery files. 

• Upvote 1

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

50 minutes ago, yellowjack said:

All extra airports, like the Ray Smith ones, should be placed in their own "Addon" scenery folder and that folder should be added to your scenery library configuration file and placed above the default airport scenery files. 

Sounds like a good idea. I have several of Ray's works but I installed them as per the instillation instructions with the down load. Wish the instructions had said that.

Vic green

Are you sure that Ray's ADE files being read and used by your sim? GSX indicating that it's using stock airport data seems to indicate otherwise.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

One has to be extra vigilant with airport files, many products can add to the mess not unusual for an individual airfield file but there are others such as FTX which can be a real bear until you identify the airports file and get in its appropriate place in the scenery load order. I use an old product called AFX (from Flight1 IIRC) in which one can search for an airport and it will reveal all the airport files for the airport your after it can be a real eye opener. AFX is like ADE but much easier to use and make minor mods and some major changes to airports. Still there are many ways to skin a cat.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I had a similar problem using Ottawa Canada airport scenery.  When I selected a gate position FSX put my aircraft some distance away from the gate jetway. I also knew, like you mentioned, that the AFCAD the scenery was actually using was the default FSX bgl and not the new bgl for the new scenery.

I posted this type of problem on the FS dreamteam support forum and was told that the AFCAD has to be a "complete" and "self-contained" AFCAD. "If not, and it's instead a file that is supposed to enhance the default AFCAD, for example just adding new things, GSX cannot use it."

If you can figure out how to force GSX to use these types of AFCADs, please let me know. Good luck!

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

When I use AFX to adjust airports I positon the aircraft at the gateway and position  I wish to use. I then change the gateway parking position AND  relabel the  gate and parking spot to Z1 (Its nice to know when ATC clears one for taxi to a pre known Gateway ID). I also set the airline to TAN so I know that no other aircraft will use that gate. I fly the QW 752 in United post merger colours so I make sure that my chosen gateway is amongst other gateways  labelled for UAL in my case . I have FSX open at the same time and use it to positon my aircraft where I want it. The actual position  of the aircraft in FSX shows up in AFX, so my 752 looks right at home when I pull up at a large airport. I also adjust the gateway size to suit my aircraft (that also helps keep foreigners away from MY parking spot). I then save the new Airport with its original name but add "_Overlay" to the name and make sure that my Airport Overlay folder is at the top of the priority list in the scenery config. file. So that my minor mods are added last in the scenery config file. I have used this technique for many years now without a failure (other than a finger problem on my behalf) I have used it on stock FSX airports, add on configs such as those made by Ray Smith and commercial airports like FSDREAMTEAM, FLIGHTBEAM. If you make up an overlay file remember to make two folders in it one labelled "scenery" to hold the actual overlays and another file called "Texture" left blank but satisfies an FSX need only. I also use GSX without a problem (except getting rid of the coaches at gateways which is done using GSX). So that is how I skin the cat there are probably many other ways to achieve the same objective but on works for me. BTW ASX is not expensive and is a lot easier to learn and use than ADE which is really a full on airport design tool.

John

Ian,

There is no technical/performance advantage to add Ray Smith's airports to the scenery library in the fashion described.  The only advantage is for organization purposes, and to some extent, performance purposes, i.e., one could selectively activate each individual airport.  The installation process included with his files is the simplest and works.  As others have pointed out, your problem is most likely due to a duplicate AFCAD.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library