Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

I really do hope that P3D v4....

5 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

I'll never understand this pressure tro stay on one side....

It's not pressure.  It's preference.  I don't want to feed TWO dogs, only the BEST dog.    Gets really expensive taking care of two beasts.

• Upvote 2

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

2 minutes ago, Kuragiman said:

It's not pressure.  It's preference.  I don't want to feed TWO dogs, only the BEST dog.    Gets really expensive taking care of two beasts.

Well, being these dogs can play different games, I like keeping them both :)

2 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Well, being these dogs can play different games, I like keeping them both :)

Heh!   Yeah, but one of them is Old Yeller and needs to be taken out behind the shed and put down!  :laugh:

• Upvote 4

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

8 minutes ago, Kuragiman said:

but one of them is Old Yeller and needs to be taken out behind the shed and put down

:laugh::laugh: LMAO, good one Brian.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, Kuragiman said:

Heh!   Yeah, but one of them is Old Yeller and needs to be taken out behind the shed and put down!  :laugh:

Well with so much good food Old Yeller is getting, I think it will have a longer life than it's expected! :cool:

I still use both there are some aircraft in either sim that aren't replicated at the same fidelity on the other sim. XP definitely has the lighting down for sure.

Creating your own airports in XP is very easy compared to FSX/P3D. I find it strangely addictive and have made over a dozen lego airports that are on the gateway and now part of the sim :).

P3D on the other hand is a nightmare of complexities, the average Joe can't fire up the editor and change stuff easily. 

34 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I still use both there are some aircraft in either sim that aren't replicated at the same fidelity on the other sim. XP definitely has the lighting down for sure.

Creating your own airports in XP is very easy compared to FSX/P3D. I find it strangely addictive and have made over a dozen lego airports that are on the gateway and now part of the sim :).

P3D on the other hand is a nightmare of complexities, the average Joe can't fire up the editor and change stuff easily. 

So true, after two years of my switch to XP (lucky swallowed my pill before entering the PMDG/ORBX money pit) I've been spending more time doing scenery than flying...quite addictive.

Brian, there's no easy way to convert scenery, sometimes really boring and I prefer ten thousand times to buy a XP scenery than doing my own stuff but it's sometimes fun above all if you have accumulated many titles in the other platform. I tend to convert places I've been in real life.

I usually replace all the ground stuff (runways, lines, ground markings, lights) with a XP native apt.dat data (taken from gateway or freeware stuff or done by myself) putting buildings from the conversion and replacing the ones in the XP scenery. Of course I prefer to use my own photoreal at L18 or L19 which is usualluy better than the one included in the original package. After a couple of years I'm enough skilled in WED and sketchup to create my own scenery so editing an existing one is much easier. Never done any scenery design in FSX by the way, I agree that XP is much user friendly for the casual Joe. Only pity is that we cannot share the result, for example I've spent weeks to convert an old Lago scenery of Venice town adding lights, monuments, the main bridge with cars moving onto, small islands...you see the point, the direct porting can be bad or good, what does count is how much work you put after adding XP features.

Conversion is usually quite useful to create a basic ATC wed layout taking parking position and taxiway data from AFCAD. From that I can create ground routes for WT fast enough. I've almost updated my Agre tool to create/edit ground routes from wed layout to version 2 with some features to help creating a realistic traffic flow (not a big fun of automatic generation without any user control, this leads usually to unrealistic behaviours).

Having "built" airports in both WED for XP and ADE for P3d/FSX, in my opinion there is zero difference between the two in the complexity  of the process. And both are freeware.

4 hours ago, Kuragiman said:

I'm sure that's FS9 :P

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

As someone who has made an airport or two for P3D I can attest to the horrible workload required to make a good airport in P3D.  I am working Amarillo Rick Husband in XP11 and I am amazed at how easy it is to get stuff going.   I am evening doing all the airport buildings as custom Sketchup models because the community provide easy plug-ins for Sketchup to convert the models to X-Plane ready models.    I am 50% done with modeling.  Texture is going to take a looooong while though.

100454.png

Brian Navy

12 hours ago, rototom said:

As for P3Ds future, I'm thinking it needs more work then LM cares to invest to meet the needs of the entertainment market.

Considering that it is explicitly not an entertainment product and that only professional pilots and active students are allowed to even buy it, this isn't surprising.

30 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Considering that it is explicitly not an entertainment product and that only professional pilots and active students are allowed to even buy it, this isn't surprising.

We all know it's just on paper. Nobody will ever question who you are and by what title you own the license. It was just a way for LM to avoid any copyrights issue with Microsoft. I bet 80% of those showing the academic writing on screen are not student anymore. When I bought PRD years ago nobody asked any proof I ha the title to do that.

PRD IS an  an entertainment product, we all know both users and LM.

Had nearly $3000 AU in addons for FSX, all deleted and removed, xplane only, waiting for 11 final. Have too many payware planes to fly already going to be really picky this time.

You Know wouldn't it be great if the Software Houses that produce major add-ons started to take note of the changes happening in our hobby through these posting....maybe they do?

I am not for one minute saying that any one sim is better than the other...that is personal choice, what I am saying is there is a definite upwards trend towards XP nowdays since 11.

I for one was hardened FSX guy with all the add-ons...and yes for ME that has changed it is all gone deleted. I have been on the Beta for XP 11 since the beginning...still not committed to the full product....mainly as I am upgrading my PC and will get that then put everything on that...

I am very pleasantly surprised with the demo but love flying airliners...with AI and big airports..so  bit of work in XP yet, but it can only grow.

So come on developers how about supporting XP too... yes big commitment supporting all platforms, I suppose it is all about where things are going given the changes happening in this hobby and the various platforms.

What ever you fly enjoy!

Cheers

Hmmm they're both too on-rails for me... :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...