Sign in to follow this  
chumley

Great White Sharks

Guest B1900 Mech

Aloha,This photo is proof that Great White Sharks are in Hawaiian waters. This photo was taken on January 4, 2005 in 40 feet of water at Reef's End, Molokini, Maui. The animals length is estimated at 14 feet. The photo was taken by an unidentified customer on B&B Scuba's dive boat. My sister stopped in at B&B Scuba on Monday, Jan 10 and verified the incident. I am going out there for my 2 weeks vacation on the 22nd, and will avoid diving Molokini crater! I will try to get some good heavy jet photos at the approach end of rwy 2.:-) http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103344.jpg

Guest Staggerwing

I've also seen a documentary where they proved that some of them "fly" as well :-)Film of them fully out of the water jumping for food ! Did you see that ?Have fun,

I'm sure I saw the same shark in a photo proving that they can be found in the River Vistula here in Warsaw.I'm going to eat some cheese now.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I see no proof at all.I see a rather underexposed photo of something looking like a shark, but there's no way to tell where or when that photo was taken.There's even no way to tell whether it's indeed a shark or maybe a model...

I take that as an insult!You have to admit your photo proves nothing. It could have been taken anywhere, at any time.There's no landmarks to identify the location for example, not even a sky to make it at least somewhat possible (using starcharts) to determine something about location.Then there's the timeframe. No clue at all, could have been taken yesterday or 20 years ago.

"Then there's the timeframe. No clue at all, could have been taken yesterday or 20 years ago."Not to mention that the photographer, having been so close to his/her subject, is likely no longer available to confirm or deny the story :)

Guest Bry

Well, it wouldn't be a massive surprise. They generally prefer cooler waters, but Great Whites are located in many places and are known to travel fair distances, though Hawaii is further than I think anyone expected. To be honest though, I wouldn't be that worried about it. They won't automatically attack everything and divers are safer than most. Some researchers swim with them without cages. Its playing with fire ofcourse, but they haven't been attacked yet.I'd be more worried about Tiger Sharks and there is no debate at all about their presense in Hawaiian waters. Overall more aggressive species and able to bite clean through bone.The photo doesn't really prove anything through the internet, but if I knew more about it or saw the original photo, I'd be in a better position to say.

I agree, tigers are far more trouble. They're responsible for more deaths than the total attacks (including aborted ones) from all other species (except possibly bullsharks which live far closer in shore and therefore are more likely to encounter humans) combined.

Guest B1900 Mech

"My sister stopped in at B&B Scuba on Monday, Jan 10 and verified the incident." She was a Firefighter/EMT/Rescue diver in Massachusetts, and is a PADI instructor on Maui,and is not given to making up storys.I thought the orgional post had enough info to prevent an argument.My comment about lawyers still stands:-)

so your sister saw the picture and the person claiming to have taken it there and then.That doesn't prove the shark is there... Your sister could well have been tricked like so many people are tricked by con artists all the time.

Guest Paul Heaney

you guys need to all get a life and get back to talking about flying.If you think it's false, move onto the next thread, like I was going to do, until I read all the bickering.

Paul,I am uncertain who has appointed you forum conscience, but your replies to my thread and now to this one seem borderline grandstanding. If users want to have a discussion and it bothers you, you can make the adult decision to ignore the thread and read what interests you. Or, if you are interested in moderating the forums as your reply here and your replies to my other thread suggest, make the appropriate appeal to Avsim. But your very immature "get a life" comment does nothing vs. gaining the moral high ground for you and your opinion--and has only made a discussion turning south take an even sharper turn. I will PM the moderators and suggest a thread deletion or thread lock'Nuff said,John

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, Someone mentioned tigers . . . hmmm. Well, I for one had never seen a tiger up close, nor had any idea of how LARGE and frightening they can be. (anyone remember the scene from Appolypse Now where the chef meets a tiger head on, and suffers soiling his pants in the process?)I won't give the gory details, however let us just say I was in Laos,, (yes, I was a pilot without an aircraft, and was in the bush for quite some time), in 1973 while the Vietnam conflict was going on, and had the opportunity to meet a tiger, face to face. Now, I have to admit, I was scared to death . . .well, almost, I didn't die. I had NO idea what to do, other than stand there, hold my ground, lovingly carress my .45, which I didn't desire to use as I was trying to hide and keep from being captured. What to do, what to do.Well, said tiger, snarled a few times, let me know that he was the 'boss', gave me a good looking over, and then calmly walked away, perhaps thinking that either I would put up too much of a fuss, (I doubt that), or that maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't make that good of a meal . . . or he wasn't that hungry having just eaten shortly before. In any event, we both survived that day, myself being most grateful for his not being interested in eating, your's truly. I do know that should he have charged, I WOULD have emptied the .45 into his furry, huge head, and that he probably would have eaten me anyways!.Ironically, when I later did see the movie and that scene, I remarked: "wow, that's how scared I looked . . ." and again thanked the good Lord and the Tiger for the results that day! Just thought some of you might fing that one interesting.Best,Clay http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest Derek D

The photo may not offer incontrovertible proof, but there is no reason to doubt it either. Besides, before I read this thread I naturally assumed there were sharks in Hawaii anyway, heh :-).Derek D.