Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Flight Model setting 1 to 10, under General Graphics

You really want (yes...you do!) to crank this setting to the full 10, and then leave it there.  It does not take away one FPS, in any situation, but man oh man, do you EVER gain aircraft control of all situational flight surfaces. I always had this set to around 3 in both 10 and 11, due to thinking it would be another parasitical load upon the CPU. Not the slightest....and the control gain, is impressive at the max setting of 10.

Cheers,

Hold up there cowboy, what evidence do you have that this setting SHOULD be set at such high settings, despite what the control slider states in the sim?  I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, it's just that with this topic being out in the open now, a lot of beginners (not to mention the curious tweakers) will flock to this with lots of questions, one of which is what I just asked.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

The suggested setting I believe is 2, but if you like to fly with less then 19fps (like Ses does) then 10 will help flight model for sure.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

2 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

The suggested setting I believe is 2 .

Basically default, and from what the little birds have told me, this has been the case before v9, which could have been hardcoded and no one would have been the wiser.  Flight model frequency of 50 per second (2 models at 25fps) is perfectly suitable for just about everything except radio controlled vehicles and the smallest full-sized aircraft.  If scenery is an issue and the need to increase the flight models seems like a cure, it really isn't that much in the grand scheme.  The best practice right now is to adjust the visuals (important phrase being "best practice"), but not a hard coded rule per say.  If the scenery is evolving, as well as the weather and anything else that LR has in store, the increase of flight models may wind up being a placebo effect, but not really providing that increased performance you are after.

Generally, anything over 25fps is good, and you should have a smooth flight.  In fact, ever since I read about the readouts pertaining to the cpu and gpu limits, I investigated it further to understand what controls what, and with that, I know how to adjust the sim to perform in such a way that the cpu and gpu can output at or as close to equal to each other, which the fps output number is the direct result.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

2 minutes ago, Jimm said:

increase of flight models may wind up being a placebo effect, but not really providing that increased performance you are after.

Ses may be confusing performance with true flight model, I use 2 as suggested by SimCoders since I have their reality expansion pack for the B58 Baron.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Wrong....all accounts.  I have not dropped one FPS...and am getting 25-40 FPS in any given situation.  I just posted a Toronto Pearson, with sliders maxed, and still popping 25 FPS.

You guys are wrong.  The control is fantastic...merely twitch your flight stick, and thy will, is the planes command....fantastic.  Won't go back from less.

If you have less than 30 FPS, in ALL situations...the higher the Flight Model (sniffing), the smoother the aircraft positional is, and better animation of all.  This is about XP11 having more pollings of where you are, and at what attitude.  Unless you have a dinosaur of a cpu/gpu...you should not have any problem in allowing the max 'polling' opportunities for XP to position your plane and input.  Nope... 

Cirrus_SF50_19.png

Just now, CarlosF said:

Ses may be confusing performance with true flight model, I use 2 as suggested by SimCoders since I have their reality expansion pack for the B58 Baron.

In your specific case, I would leave it be.  Increasing the flight model may result in undesirable effects.  I don't mean to be a "safety Sam" here, but it's better to be cautious during this beta.  I've seen a plethora of complaints at the org about aircraft and general performance issues with XP11.  heck, even the official Q&A site is chock full of upset people, confused about why things work one minute and then break the next.

2 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Wrong....all accounts.  I have not dropped one FPS...and am getting 25-40 FPS in any given situation.  I just posted a Toronto Pearson, with sliders maxed, and still popping 25 FPS.

You guys are wrong.  The control is fantastic...merely twitch your flight stick, and they will, is the planes command....fantastic.  Won't go back from less.

Cirrus_SF50_19.png

Well, like the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...have fun.

1 minute ago, Jimm said:

Well, like the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...have fun.

I always ran at around 2-3 for this setting in 10.  I wanted to test exactly what outcome would be from myself in the Cirrus 50, when increasing this poll number, when in a situation such as very dense cloud, and running at 18-23 FPS.  Going full out, on final approach in one of these heavy storm situations was truly unbelievable.  I had such fluid control of the aircraft, even at the low end of 18 FPS, with no latent input delay...and not one FPS lower, and found out actually, that at any of my range 18-44 FPS constant, it didn't drop any FPS situation...AT ALL!  Not one FPS drop.  So, for myself, with my i7-975 Extreme/1070 FTW, the setting is now burned in... :)

Cheers,

A final thought and I won't contribute more to this topic as I know I am already on Sesquashtoo's list,

99% of the time, two models is fine, bottom line.  What I am taking  issue with is these types of posts where it is so overwhelming that everyone needs to get on board with the OP's revelation, and then later on, discussion turns into "but he said...", and then arguments ensue when issues emerge.  Once again, a gentle reminder that we are in Beta, so be careful what you mess around with.  This is no different than when someone claimed that we all needed to turn off Threaded Optimization, when in fact it was more like a suggestion.  What Sesquashtoo has stated may be a revelation, it may work, it may improve everything for him, but not everyone, so at the very least, it can be tested, and if it doesn't work, go back to what was there. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimm said:

A final thought and I won't contribute more to this topic as I know I am already on Sesquashtoo's list,

99% of the time, two models is fine, bottom line.  What I am taking  issue with is these types of posts where it is so overwhelming that everyone needs to get on board with the OP's revelation, and then later on, discussion turns into "but he said...", and then arguments ensue when issues emerge.  Once again, a gentle reminder that we are in Beta, so be careful what you mess around with.  This is no different than when someone claimed that we all needed to turn off Threaded Optimization, when in fact it was more like a suggestion.  What Sesquashtoo has stated may be a revelation, it may work, it may improve everything for him, but not everyone, so at the very least, it can be tested, and if it doesn't work, go back to what was there. :biggrin:

Jimm...lol, you are NOT on my 'list'.   LOL...nah...it's just that the results are so profound, that one should crank this setting up to 10, and see for themselves.  Nothing gets broken.  If they have a great experience, then they leave it at max value. If they don't, they curtail it back one value at a time until whatever........but if they CAN run it at 10....wow oh wow...:)  It's like going from manual, to power steering...LOLOL!

One example;  after you land...you have awesome roll-out control...in yaw...you can keep a great straight tack, even in 45 degree cross wind....it's quite the cat's you-know-what...

Cheers, Bud.

That slider is there for a reason ;P.

BTW The "turning off threaded optimization" came from Ben at Laminar...

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I always ran at around 2-3 for this setting in 10.  I wanted to test exactly what outcome would be from myself in the Cirrus 50, when increasing this poll number, when in a situation such as very dense cloud, and running at 18-23 FPS.  Going full out, on final approach in one of these heavy storm situations was truly unbelievable.  I had such fluid control of the aircraft, even at the low end of 18 FPS, with no latent input delay...and not one FPS lower, and found out actually, that at any of my range 18-44 FPS constant, it didn't drop any FPS situation...AT ALL!  Not one FPS drop.  So, for myself, with my i7-975 Extreme/1070 FTW, the setting is now burned in... :)

You may already know this, but you really, really don't want to have settings in X-Plane that drop your frame rate below 20 frames per second. I think 19 is the actual cutoff, but 20 is easier to remember. At that point, X-Plane stops simulating in real time, and slows down the "world" and any semblance of accuracy in order to keep a flyable frame rate. In other words, what you perceive as smoother flight dynamics when you're skirting the edge of this limit, may just be real time slowing down in the sim. 

If you're able to get consistent frame rates over 20 fps (and ideally 30fps or better if you really want to feel things like ground effect when landing), and you like what having lots of flight models per frame, then sure, go for it. 

Personally, I stick with the recommended 2 flight models per frame for the heavy stuff, and no more than 3-4 flight models per frame for light GA and helicopters. I'm getting an average of 40 frames per second with my setup in XP11. At that rate, high flight models-per-frame start to get ridiculous. There just isn't enough time between frames for anything significant to change in the flight dynamics. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I did mess with this setting in an earlier beta, then I found setting it to 10 or any high value crippled my performance, and until today I hadn't touched it again. With PB15 setting it to 10 seems not to affect performance at all (or if it does it's only a frame or two) but in the planes I tried - Default C172 - Vskylabs Fox and Trike - setting it to 10 I can feel no difference what so ever :(

Maybe its me, and I am less sensitive to the extra polling of the flight model, but be it big inputs, small inputs, or chucking it around like a lunatic the flight seem unchanged. Maybe some ac's are more sensitive to to it than others, so I'm missing the benefit in my chosen planes?

It could also be my cheap Saitek stick that lacks the sensitivity to my inputs and is letting things down; I really do need to upgrade that component.