Sign in to follow this  
Kyprianos Biris

Updates and changelog information

Are software updates and their changelog details posted/notified somewhere ?

Yes, it will show me there's something new when I launch the PMDG operations center but unless I do this (and I don't do it each time before launching P3D) there is no other way for me to know there's been a software update and also to learn what has been updated with it.

I seem to recall a post here about the first update that came out but I can't find it now.

It would be nice for example if the above were posted in form of a pinned locked post on top where we could subscribe and get notifications from avsim forum each time the post was updated with a new entry.

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

6 hours ago, Kyprianos Biris said:

Yes, it will show me there's something new when I launch the PMDG operations center but unless I do this (and I don't do it each time before launching P3D) there is no other way for me to know there's been a software update and also to learn what has been updated with it.

You have to launch AS16 to see if there is an update available, and you have to launch Orbx FTX Centralv3 to see if updates are available.  You have to check the P3D forums or web site to see if P3D updates are available.  You are asking for a notification that a PMDG product update is available so you don't have to open the OC..., come on, it only takes 15 sec.

The changelog is in the OC after the update.  I am not aware of any other source for this information unless it is an announcement for a major update in the forum or Facebook.

Dan Downs KCRP

6 hours ago, downscc said:

You have to launch AS16 to see if there is an update available,

that's not strictly fair, you have to launch AS16 to use it.

suppose if there was an ACARS message in sim would be a functional equivalent.

4 hours ago, Fabo said:

that's not strictly fair, you have to launch AS16 to use it.

suppose if there was an ACARS message in sim would be a functional equivalent.

+1 these forums are brutal - they chew you up!!

On 22/3/2017 at 5:30 PM, downscc said:

You have to launch AS16 to see if there is an update available, and you have to launch Orbx FTX Centralv3 to see if updates are available

I disagree.

"Launching" the PMDG B744 is when you load it in FSX/P3D from aircraft menu. By this time its a) too late to update it b) you don't get an automatic message that an update is available.

AS16 yes, you get a message on launch but you can choose to defer the update later. The important thing is you KNOW about it on first use of the product. In AS16 there is no separate launching of a similar to op's center and separate launching of the software itself. The software itself is not binded to FSX/P3D launch. You just get notified by the software itself and choose whether to update now or later. In PMDG there is no way to know an update is up unless you specifically check the op's center each time.

In ORBX you get the update message only if you launch the FTXCentral, not if you launch FSX/P3D. They announce each update in their announcements subforum in locked threads. I subscribe there and get the auto-notification via email. This is how it should work.

By the way, Chaseplane camera is the ONLY add on I have seen so far auto-updating when P3D launches without the need to reboot P3D.

So ... since PMDG do not issue B744 updates too often and since there is no way to know about it unless you launch PMDG op's center each time first before the FS it would be wise IMHO to have somewhere an announcement when an update is released ?

A dedicated announcements subforum would be nice where people can get subscribed to and get notifications just for important posts like this.

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440