Sign in to follow this  
WT497

Please help me find the MD-11

13 hours ago, pcubine said:

Per the EULA you can't sell or give away the MD-11. The license is non transferable.

For the boxed version as well? That's odd. I've never had any problems with other games I bought second hand. Is this a PMDG-specific policy?

It would seem to me that putting such a clause in the EULA would be guarding against the possibility of someone installing it on their own system, then duplicating the DVD and then selling the original DVD on. However, in doing that, it would be the seller who would be indulging in something dodgy, not the buyer, who would be in good faith, expecting the seller to delete it off their own system. If I've ever bought any used software (not often, but I have once or twice when it has been something no longer available), I've made damn sure I kept the receipt in the DVD box for this very reason.

Never having indulged in anything dodgy like that as far as not having licensed software - because I really hate software piracy with a passion - I don't know whether there would be any online registration copy protection which might prevent it from registering on two machines at two different IPs. One assumes that PMDG's support forum policy of requiring full names is something to do with ensuring no dodgy dealings go on, although I can't really see how that would be foolproof, since I could tell people on this forum that my name was Donald Duck if I chose to, and how would they know otherwise unless it somehow gets checked with the PMDG online purchase records when they answer support enquiries?

EULA's aside, personally, I can't see any software developer being bothered about someone selling/giving their copy to someone else providing that person genuinely does delete it off their own system, and in the case of the MD-11 particularly, it's not as if PMDG would be losing any money either way, since they are no longer selling it at all. I expect they've got bigger fish to fry than worrying about someone selling a copy of a DVD these days, after all, most of us buy downloads these days, can't even remember the last time I bought a boxed copy of something, think it might have been X-plane 10, which was kind of understandable since it comes on about six million DVDs lol, so Christ knows how big the download would have been.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, WT497 said:

For the boxed version as well?

Yes. It's not a PMDG specific policy

49 minutes ago, Chock said:

I can't see any software developer being bothered about someone selling/giving their copy to someone else providing that person genuinely does delete it off their own system, and in the case of the MD-11 particularly, it's not as if PMDG would be losing any money either way, since they are no longer selling it at all.

Take it up with Kyle Rodgers. He can explain it better than I can.

4 minutes ago, pcubine said:

Take it up with Kyle Rodgers. He can explain it better than I can.

No need to, I've got all the PMDG birds I want :cool:

Never liked the MD-11 personally, I'm sure the PMDG simulation of it is very realistic, but the real MD-11 is a fairly terrible aeroplane, based on an even worse one.

Alan Bradbury

Don't know why you say that, it has it's fan-base. The DC-10 was not exactly terrible, once the cargo-door issue was fixed it was liked by many pilots.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

48 minutes ago, Chock said:

I am not writing about the airplane, I am writing about the EULA. The problem is the airplane needs to be activated. It has already been activated by Dave Taylor. The PMDG registration system will not accept a second attempt at activation. WT497 can install the plane but it will not work. No gauges, switches don't function, CDU useless, etc. 

1 hour ago, Jude Bradley said:

Don't know why you say that, it has it's fan-base. The DC-10 was not exactly terrible, once the cargo-door issue was fixed it was liked by many pilots.

Well, it is probably true to say that the DC-10 was no worse than a lot of other aeroplanes around at the time, after all, the B747 also had a cargo door problem as well as the DC-10. And it's fair to say that one of the most notorious crashes of the DC-10 - American Airlines Flight 191 - was not a design issue, rather it being caused by iffy mainenance procedures. But the DC-10 did also have the feature of all its hydraulic lines for the rear tail surfaces culminating at one very tightly enclosed location in the rear of the fuselage right under the number two engine, allowing all three hydraulic lines to be severed by an uncontained engine failure on board United 232, but I suppose you could equally blame for that incident on General Electric, since it was caused by a fan blade defect.

Of course the hydraulic lines do have to go there in order to operate the tail surfaces etc, but they should from the outset have featured the facility of shut off 'fuses' in the event of such a mishap, as was added later following that incident. So it wasn't a great design initially, especially when you bear in mind aircraft designers in the US were well aware of the ramifications of the loss of hydraulics due to them being all placed in close proximity with no back up, particularly at the time the DC-10 was designed (late Sixties/early Seventies), since the F-105 Thunderchief (first flight 1955) became somewhat notorious for going down over North Vietnam even when taking only minor damage, if that damage included anything to the hydraulics, since it had no manual reversion, and that problem was occurring regularly, right at the time when the DC-10 was designed and was well known in the aviation industry. Changes to features like that as a result of fatal crashes are what aircraft investigators darkly refer to as 'tombstone technology' and there were a lot of those such amendments necessary on the DC-10, which ironically, probably made it a pretty safe aeroplane in its twilight years, although it is worth noting that its broadly similar-looking competitor - the L-1011 Tristar - had a much better safety record than the DC-10, in fact it had a better safety record than virtually all its contemporaries including the 747 and the A300, so it is evident that you can design a good aircraft with a tri-jet configuration.

But it's no secret that the MD-11 is undeniably a bit iffy design-wise, largely because of the rearward CoG which became part of the design in order to try and make the Tri-Jet more economical at a time when twin jets were eclipsing triples. The limited size of the rear stabiliser, which was another design change to try to squeeze more fuel economy fom the thing, certainly doesn't help its low speed controllability, as more than one accident has demonstrated; it's really only the fact that it tends to be flown on cargo flights which have meant the death toll from such incidents is not higher than it obviously otherwise would have been. As it stands, nine hull losses and 240 fatalities is not a great safety record for a reasonably modern aircraft with only 200 in total built, that's nearly five percent of the entire fleet. Not as bad as some aircraft of course, i.e. things like the Fairchild F-27, of which I think over a quarter of them built have crashed, which is an appalling safety record by any standards, but even that record pales into insignificance when compared to some old Soviet Bloc types such as the Let 410.

Alan Bradbury

Well, that's true of course. The infamous SwissAir crash where they had installed insufficient insulation on their entertainment systems is well known. It's a pity really.

Having said that, I will purchase the A.T.S X-Plane version  when it's released in a couple of years. 

Nice to see you back in the forums again, albeit with a different signature. 

:) 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

5 hours ago, pcubine said:

WT497 can install the plane but it will not work. No gauges, switches don't function, CDU useless, etc. 

That's a real shame. This would have been a great way to get my hands on it. Let's hope than one German website didn't leave it on their page after running out, if they did there doesn't appear to be any (legal) way at all to find it. :(

Wait hang on, does this mean the German eBay copy also won't work? If that's the case, they shouldn't be charging €60 for it.

11 hours ago, WT497 said:

Wait hang on, does this mean the German eBay copy also won't work? If that's the case, they shouldn't be charging €60 for it.

If it is new copy it should work. I don't know if you are aware but there is no PMDG Technical Support for the MD-11.

4 hours ago, pcubine said:

If it is new copy it should work. I don't know if you are aware but there is no PMDG Technical Support for the MD-11.

The text below the picture appears to mention it being "as good as new" and "without scratches," which to me sounds like it's at the very least been opened, if not used.

I am aware there is no tech support, that's why I made an account to ask around here. And why I'd like to make sure I'm not about to waste €60+ on a worthless disk.

4 hours ago, WT497 said:

"as good as new"

This tells me it has been used. Why would someone open a DVD case just look at a disk?

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:25 AM, Chock said:

Never liked the MD-11 personally, I'm sure the PMDG simulation of it is very realistic, but the real MD-11 is a fairly terrible aeroplane, based on an even worse one.

Let's just say we'll have to disagree on this.  I certainly don't want to argue about this or get into a discussion.  :smile:

From a pilot's perspective, I enjoyed my time on the DC-10 and MD-11. 

Grace and Peace,

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

4 hours ago, pcubine said:

This tells me it has been used. Why would someone open a DVD case just look at a disk?

It doesn't matter anymore. I just checked again, and it's "temporarily sold out."

I guess the decision has been made for me. If I had known this I would have bought it two years ago, when I only had my then 8-year-old Vista laptop. :(

2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Let's just say we'll have to disagree on this.  I certainly don't want to argue about this or get into a discussion.  :smile:

From a pilot's perspective, I enjoyed my time on the DC-10 and MD-11. 

Grace and Peace,

blaustern

You flew the real thing? That's really cool! Which airline did you fly for?