Sign in to follow this  
who4ever

Approaches: ATC, GPS and Charts

When I am flying an IFR flight plan, following ATC commands, when I am nearing my destination and ATC starts vectoring me in, is ATC actually vectoring me according to a published Approach that I can use the chart and GPS as an aid, or is it just random commands that may or may not be the same each time I fly the same flight plan?  If ATC is actually vectoring me according to a published Approach, how can I tell which one it is?
Thanks, Dave

The built-in FS ATC gives you vectors which depend on the angle you are approaching your chosen runway from. This only varies with the flight plan, so if you always fly that approach you'll always get the same vectors, which will be a zig-zag path across your flightplan's direct path.

It's all explained very well in this thread about FSX ATC, but the principles are the same as for FS2004:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?278464-FSX-ATC-ignores-IFR-Flight-Plan

The last time I accepted vectors was a good 10 years ago. When offered vectors say no you would like to fly an approach. ILS, RNAV whatever then you will be offered transition. 

FWIW I don't use the ATC in FS2004.  I find it much more realistic to program SIDS, STARS and Approaches [using RNAV whenever possible] directly from published charts into my flight planner.

Dijvid

Vector, then how do you take off from and land at large, heavily used airports, such as JFK and O'Hare without using AFC?  Just fly and ignore the in air and on the ground traffic?

2 hours ago, vector said:

FWIW I don't use the ATC in FS2004.  I find it much more realistic to program SIDS, STARS and Approaches [using RNAV whenever possible] directly from published charts into my flight planner.

Dijvid

Program SIDS, STARS and Approaches [using RNAV whenever possible] directly from published charts into my flight planner AND then update the FS Approach database for the charts you are using.... then FSATC knows which STAR you are using and direct you accordingly.

FS ATC does do STARS but of course the FS9 approach database is from 2004. Firstly one needs to learn how to use it (0.1% of simmers) and update it. (0.0001% of simmers)

Flying without ATC is very unrealistic IMO. I like FSATC as it can be manipulated/updated and it looks after my AI on the ground and in the air.

2 hours ago, who4ever said:

Vector, then how do you take off from and land at large, heavily used airports, such as JFK and O'Hare without using AFC?  Just fly and ignore the in air and on the ground traffic?

I only fly a single engine GA aircraft and my interest is in perfecting flying SIDs, STARs and Approaches accurately [amongst other things], so I have never bothered with AI.  Apart from that FS2004 is a flight simulator and not an aviation replicator and there is a world of difference between the two.

Dijvid

22 minutes ago, vector said:

Apart from that FS2004 is a flight simulator and not an aviation replicator and there is a world of difference between the two.

Dijvid

FS2004 is whatever you want it to be. It is used differently by every single one of us.

Happy flying.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, edetroit said:

FS2004 is whatever you want it to be. It is used differently by every single one of us.

Happy flying.

And I couldn't agree more  smile.png  Every day - well, almost - I find something new or different about the sim.

Dijvid

Vector, regarding your post: "Program SIDS, STARS and Approaches [using RNAV whenever possible] directly from published charts into my flight planner AND then update the FS Approach database for the charts you are using.... then FSATC knows which STAR you are using and direct you accordingly. FS ATC does do STARS but of course the FS9 approach database is from 2004. Firstly one needs to learn how to use it (0.1% of simmers) and update it. (0.0001% of simmers)Flying without ATC is very unrealistic IMO. I like FSATC as it can be manipulated/updated and it looks after my AI on the ground and in the air."

1. I understand your concept of programming SIDS and STARS into the flight planner, but unless I am mistaken, when using ATC, the flight plan is basically out the window.  ATC usually vectors me away from the flight plan into flying the heading that it wants me to.  How do I override that?

2. I think I have a basic concept of how to use ATC, but can you elaborate on what I might not know or refer me to a proper tutorial?

3. I am all ears about how to update the database.  May I ask how this is done?'

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave

I think I may have caused some confusion in my original post, so let me explain ....

I don't use FS ATC as I got fed up with the many times that it vectored me in endless zig zags all over the place [certainly most unrealistic!] and even placed me, on the odd occasion, 100 miles from the airport for an approach!!  I have tried other ATC programs such as Radar Contact and PFE but found them just another layer of work that I had to cope with.  I guess that probably the most realistic and fun ATC to use would be something like VATSIM but I have to admit that I have never tried that.

I use FlightSim Commander for my flight planning which also allows me to add waypoints that are missing from its database and I also update this from time to time with Navigraph.  As RNAV is now available at so many airports I use that whenever I can but FS ATC certainly wouldn't recognise RNAV.  I have never tried to update the sim's own navigational databases and that might well be impossible to do anyway.

So, sorry, I can't really be of much help to you.

Dijvid

7 hours ago, edetroit said:

LOL If you guys actually read the posts you might find it less confusing.

Not sure what you mean by this?!!

Anyway, I'm certainly not confused.  I don't have AI, I don't use ATC and I know how to read and use aviation charts.  And I do manage to fly from A to B quite successfully, which I find quite amazing!!

Dijvid

17 minutes ago, vector said:

Not sure what you mean by this?!!

This is what I mean for both you and Dave.

"Vector, regarding your post: "Program SIDS, STARS and Approaches [using RNAV whenever possible] directly from published charts into my flight planner AND then update the FS Approach database for the charts you are using.... then FSATC knows which STAR you are using and direct you accordingly. FS ATC does do STARS but of course the FS9 approach database is from 2004. Firstly one needs to learn how to use it (0.1% of simmers) and update it. (0.0001% of simmers)Flying without ATC is very unrealistic IMO. I like FSATC as it can be manipulated/updated and it looks after my AI on the ground and in the air."

That was not your post....it was mine.