Sign in to follow this  

Autothrottle Disconnect Assignment

I'm having some trouble configuring the Auto Throttle Arm switch so that I can turn it off as I cross the threshold for landing.

I have a Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X with two buttons assigned on my joystick throttle controller (left hand), one for the Auto Throttle Arm and one for the Autopilot On\Off.  When I am on final approach I can turn the Autopilot (and warning off) with two presses of the Joystick button assignment but I cannot turn the Auto Throttle off.  When I press the assigned button, I can hear the sound and see the little switch on the throttle quadrant move but the Auto Throttle switch on the MCP does not disarm.  I can left click the MCP AT switch to turn it off but I don't really want to move my right hand off the joystick at that point.  I can middle mouse click on the TOGA screw but it does the same as above, I hear the sound but the AT switch remains armed.

I have assigned the joystick buttons in the Settings\Controls for FSX. The matching keyboard assignment is set to Ctrl Shift R which is the default but is very difficult to use when you're trying to look at the runway!. I have also tried to assign it in the PMDG FMC Keyboard commands but it doesn't accept a joystick button input, only keyboard .  I can assign a keyboard command but I'd rather be able to use a joystick assignment like I do with the Autopilot so I don't need to look down or take my hands off joystick\throttle.

I'm sure I am missing something obvious again so any help on assigning a joystick button would be appreciated.  All my other button assignments on the joystick\throttle work fine so I can't figure out what I am doing wrong with the AT assignment.

Thanks

Use the custom key command bindings in the FS Actions PMDG Options Simulator Keycommand menu.  Assign all your autopilot functions here instead of in FSX.  The reason for this is because PMDG is not using the default autopilot or autothrottle, which lack the realism required for this  product.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan

Thanks for the heads up.

Although the problem is I can't input a joystick assignment and the Hotas doesn't have its own mapping software unfortunately.

Sorry, more details below...

1 hour ago, downscc said:

Use the custom key command bindings in the FS Actions PMDG Options Simulator Keycommand menu.  Assign all your autopilot functions here instead of in FSX.  The reason for this is because PMDG is not using the default autopilot or autothrottle, which lack the realism required for this  product.

I was hoping to avoid having to use a keyboard for this function as outlined above.  However, I have used the options above to assign AT Arm to Shift-R to test which now works fine turning on and off although not ideal as it still means I have to take my hand off throttle and eyes off screen to do so.

Unfo the T Flight Hotas X doesn't have it's own specific mapping software, only drivers so I can't do it that way.

It's a shame PMDG didn't enable the ability to allow a joystick button assignment to be used instead of a keyboard command in the Options menu.  Especially since all my other assigned joystick buttons work OK in PMDG 747.  Its frustrating that a crucial switch at a crucial time can't be done with a flick of a finger on the throttle button next to the AP button which does work!

Thanks for your help anyway, I will battle with it for now.

If you have the licensed version of FSUIPC you can assign keyboard commands to button presses. That's how I do it for TOGA. AT and AP disconnect. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

The quadrant A/T disconnect buttons don't disarm the A/T, they merely deactivate it. The switch on the MCP doesn't move when you press the buttons on the quadrant in the real thing. If you see the button move on the throttle quadrant and hear the sound, it is being disconnected. It takes a second or two for the triple tone and caution message to alert to the disconnection. 

EDIT: I can't find anything specific in the FCOM, but the caution may be inhibited below a certain RA. Try setting up your assignment as you had it before (when you could see the button moving) and then test it at like 500' instead of when crossing the threshold. Press the button and see if you get the caution...you do have to wait a few seconds for it.

54 minutes ago, Ralgh said:

If you have the licensed version of FSUIPC you can assign keyboard commands to button presses.

This is how I assign buttons/switches too, use FSUIP to convert to keypress then assign keypress in the PMDG Options menu.  I use the same assignment for similar functions in NGX 777 and 747 so I don't worry aircraft type.

Dan Downs KCRP

46 minutes ago, downscc said:

This is how I assign buttons/switches too, use FSUIP to convert to keypress then assign keypress in the PMDG Options menu.  I use the same assignment for similar functions in NGX 777 and 747 so I don't worry aircraft type.

Will look into this as well, thanks!

Hey guys, sorted with FSUIPC, thanks very much everyone.

Now I realise I don't have enough buttons on my joystick anymore..

:biggrin:

On 22/03/2017 at 3:12 PM, junkyspam7 said:

I'm having some trouble configuring the Auto Throttle Arm switch so that I can turn it off as I cross the threshold for landing.

Hi,

Keep in mind that you don't really need to disconnect the A/T for landing unless you want to manually control the thrust during approach (and even there, in the real aircraft you can still alter the thrust with A/T engaged).
If you leave the A/T engaged it will retard the thrust levers to idle automatically during the flare and will automatically disconnect when you raise one of the reverse thrust lever to reverse idle.

However the recommended procedure is to leave the A/T engaged even when the AP is disconnected unless abnormal situation occurs.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

1 hour ago, Budbud said:

However the recommended procedure is to leave the A/T engaged even when the AP is disconnected unless abnormal situation occurs

That seems to vary with operator. I prefer to disconnect A/T before I disconnect A/P to make sure any thrust (and resultant pitch) changes are caused by me and not the automatics.  I feel much more comfortable with the aircraft on final when i am flying attitude and power together.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

That seems to vary with operator.

Right, I spoke a bit too fast in my post.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Go to FMC/MENU/OPTIONS/SIMULATION/PAGE2 FROM NEXT PAGE/CTL INPUT WITH AP ON.

make sure it's DISABLE

8 minutes ago, muhammad said:

Go to FMC/MENU/OPTIONS/SIMULATION/PAGE2 FROM NEXT PAGE/CTL INPUT WITH AP ON.

make sure it's DISABLE

As the original thread was created almost two years ago, it would appear as though the user who posted the question no longer has an account on the forums.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.