Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

I was recently flying in some very heavy weather generated by AS16 (networked from a client PC), and my rig had to stop and take a breather every 15-20 seconds or so for about 5secs or more, even though my FPS was registering about 35fps! (very disconcerting on approach). I have just upgraded my nav gauge GTN 750 to version 6.21 I had two up and running in my Real Air Duke V2, but I don't think it was responsible (but I could be wrong).

My client PC is using a GeForce GT 620 and the server PC (running FSX:SE) has a GeForce GTX 650, neither has any system video memory.

I am thinking of splashing the cash on a GTX 1050, and I assume it will need to be fitted to the server PC for best results.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, and is it likely to improve my display in very heavy weather ?

Peter

Can you give us the system specs for the main system and the secondary system?  An itemized list of components.  Also, a screenshot that includes the data output from the sim that includes framerate and any other pertinent info.

Thanks for your response Gavenger, but I was hoping for a simpler answer. I have an i7 @3370Mkz on my server PC and an i5 on my client. Just an opinion will do rather than a definitive technical analysis of my rigs.

If your FPS are good then the pauses are caused by something else. where were you flying, what scenery do you have installed around? do you have duplicate afcad files? For example in orbx scenery, Orbx has their own afcads even if you have a separate addon scenery for an airport.

Thanks. I have the ORBX North America loaded and I was landing at CYYT in really heavy weather, stratus down to 500ft at dusk and 30 mph winds. It has since occurred a few times when I've been flying over heavy weather too, over the ocean. I haven't flown in really bad conditions for a while so I'm not too sure if it is just down to the weather OR the upgrade by Garmin to 6.21 on the Flight1 GTN 750

I had the same problem with the Turbine Duke V2 when I added the second GTN to the panel. I had to set the affinity of both GTN's in the Flight1 Config tool.  You might try running the same flight scenario with just one GTN to test if the dual units is the problem...

HTH

Greg

Thanks. I have suspected it may be these gauges, and I'm now running with the affinity of the first  set to ALL and the second to Last 2. It does seem to be better like this.

The "ALL" choice didn't work for me... I still had thread collisions that caused those long, ugly pauses.  On my i7 (w/ HT enabled) I have the sim affinity set for cores 2,4,6,7, the OS on 0, and AS16 on 0,1.  The first GTN (in the T Duke) is on 3, and the second is on 5.  With this config I get no thread collisions, and a very smooth sim.

Indeed, in all other aircraft that use the GTN I have the affinity set for 5 (the T Duke is the only aircraft I have setup for dual GTN use).  If I don't assign the GTN to a core not used by the sim I get thread collisions.

YMMV and good luck,

Greg

Thanks for this info Lownslo. I've tried a quick check flight in the Duke V2 with both GTN's assigned to your affinity settings and it seems to have done the job very nicely.

Thank you

Peter :ha: