Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Visual impact of running compressed graphic files...

I wonder, what is the actual visual impact (if any?) of running with Maximum (compressed texture files), or Maximum (no compression)???

I also wonder what the FPS impact might be between the two.  I have tried both, and I don't truly see any real degradation of visuals, when running in compressed mode. Is there actually?

A heapful of 'wondering' going on.... (rubbing chin...) 

My understanding is that the texture compression option will convert/compress images into DDS compression when loading.

See http://www.x-plane.com/kb/texture-compression/

So without this enabled, the images will be used completely uncompressed, resulting in possibly faster loading times, but much increased VRAM usage.

10 minutes ago, tonywob said:

My understanding is that the texture compression option will convert/compress images into DDS compression when loading.

See http://www.x-plane.com/kb/texture-compression/

So without this enabled, the images will be used completely uncompressed, resulting in possibly faster loading times, but much increased VRAM usage.

Ah, so, if I understand your explanation, if you don't see a large pause/lag in loading scenery in front of your position, or any pause/stutter, perhaps it is a good idea to just run in Maxium (Compression Mode), rather than uncompressed, if there is no true visual 'hit' for doing so.  Thank's Tony!

31 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I wonder, what is the actual visual impact (if any?) of running with Maximum (compressed texture files), or Maximum (no compression)???

I also wonder what the FPS impact might be between the two.  I have tried both, and I don't truly see any real degradation of visuals, when running in compressed mode. Is there actually?

A heapful of 'wondering' going on.... (rubbing chin...) 

Tony is correct. If you have a graphics card with a lot of VRAM and on the same time don't use heavy scenery, you probably won't notice a FPS impact.

But go, for example, to Drzewiecki's New York City or Miami with only a 4 GB card and uncompressed texture files, and you'll notice that 4 GB VRAM are not enough, and that will FPS suffer.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

6 minutes ago, MarioDonick said:

Tony is correct. If you have a graphics card with a lot of VRAM and on the same time don't use heavy scenery, you probably won't notice a FPS impact.

But go, for example, to Drzewiecki's New York City or Miami with only a 4 GB card and uncompressed texture files, and you'll notice that 4 GB VRAM are not enough, and that will FPS suffer.

I'll play around, I did read on Tony's supplied link that using compress mode, does reduce visual quality, but...if you can run at a higher tex resolution, it can actually be better visual output, etc.  So I guess one has to just run compressed, or uncompressed, and see if they can pick up any degradation.  I might just log a couple of same flight path sessions with Max_Com and Max-Non com, and see what the average FPS on the flight will be, etc... visual quality of: airport at taxi, and at altitude...look for an A/B....

Thanks for all comments on the query, gents! 

5 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I might just log a couple of same flight path sessions

Make sure that all other conditions are also comparable (same aircraft, same weather).

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

9 minutes ago, MarioDonick said:

Make sure that all other conditions are also comparable (same aircraft, same weather).

Very good point. Will turn off xEnviro...and stage a weather event.  Thanks, Mario.

Late to the party here, but this may help too.

https://youtu.be/mljKJnZeALM

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit