Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

My 1st windshear experience!

I was testing a new Lufthansa paint and decided to land in some marginal weather after she passed the paint inspection.

Found KCDC having some bad weather so I took of from KPHX just south and flew there.

I was pretty happy with the approach into 20, and had the Terrain map on because of the mountainous area I was flying into.

Anyway, as you can see by the pics, got the yellow warning quickly followed by the red WINDSHEAR!

OFK0ra.jpg 

FmPkMk.jpg

And here we are on the downwind getting ready to try it again....

Ae6Ecv.jpg

Intercepting the LOC, let's try this again.

ck538X.jpg

On GS... into the soup....

khE06k.jpg

Safely on the runway, slowing down.

BK7taE.jpg

DoZHLy.jpg

On the ramp, in the pouring rain....glad that's over!  (Check out the windsock)

7Ipt8S.jpg

I am thoroughly amazed with how detailed PMDG's birds are when working with ASN to simulate windshear....quite the memorable experience...Maybe I'll just stick to painting..its safer LOL!

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Glad you didn't have the shakes after the ordeal!  But in that second to last picture it doesn't look like the hydraulic pressure released the gear from its Tilt....interesting.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

4 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Glad you didn't have the shakes after the ordeal!  But in that second to last picture it doesn't look like the hydraulic pressure released the gear from its Tilt....interesting.

Thanks Brian.

I can't imagine experiencing that in the real world, I'd probably be a wreck after the adrenaline wore off. LOL.  

I think that is an optical illusion due to the exact angle I shot the pic.  The rear wheel does look like its off the ground but that's actually inner-right bogie in a perfect alignment to make it look that way!  I had to look at it myself really closely then go look at it in the sim...all the rubber is firmly on the ground. :wink: 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Yea looking at it again I can see that the front truck of the body gear is hidden and the angle the pic is taken makes it look like it's still tilted haha.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Just wondering how you can get the windshear warning and lose that much airspeed, yet the wind indicator on the ND is the same in the first two shots?  Seems strange to me.

Regards,

Rob

Windshear is definitely one of those events you want to experience in a simulator a couple of times before running into it RW, and even then it has an effect of making the flight unforgettable.

Dan Downs KCRP

10 hours ago, KORDATC said:

Just wondering how you can get the windshear warning and lose that much airspeed, yet the wind indicator on the ND is the same in the first two shots?  Seems strange to me.

Regards,

Rob

There'll be a set refresh rate of the wind speed vector calculation - I doubt it will be a live real time calculation.

However, the groundspeed and the airspeed match, looks more like the aircraft slowing down, not windshear effect.

I was in a 152 on final a couple of months ago and lost 15 knots to windshear. Thankfully we were going 70 so the airplane flew fine, but it was a little startling. Experience is the best teacher for sure!

Aidan Hutchison

On 23.3.2017 at 5:52 AM, Steve Dra said:

I can't imagine experiencing that in the real world, I'd probably be a wreck after the adrenaline wore off. LOL. 

That's what it would look like ;)

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!