Sign in to follow this  
clive6354

Dual Install on new system

On my new system I intend to install P3D and also FSX SE (using PMDG aircraft) will both platforms operate succesfully and is there any advice that is relevant to installing both platforms?

Clive Alexander

Maybe it would be best to only install P3D on my new computer and then there will be less chance with any conflicts between dual installation if I were to install P3D and FSX SE

52 minutes ago, clive6354 said:

Maybe it would be best to only install P3D on my new computer and then there will be less chance with any conflicts between dual installation if I were to install P3D and FSX SE

I've had P3D/FSX/FSXSE/XPlane on the same computer and used for beta testing... never a problem.  Got rid of FSXSE just because I don't like Steam on my computer.  Currently have P3D/FSX/XPlane of which I only use P3D except for beta purposes.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have both P3D and FSX:SE installed on my computer.

I have no issues at all. They are two separate programs and don't usually share any resources. I do have a shared FreeMesh directory to save hard drive space.

As far as PMDG aircraft goes, there are different version for each simulator.

I'm not sure if this is a question you're asking, but the FSX:SE B777 won't work on P3D and visa-versa.

I would start with only the simulators and the aircraft. Make sure they're working well and then begin adding the add-on, one by one.

Good luck!

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Thank you for your reply

In a response to my original statement saying that I intended to install P3D and FSX SE on the same drive on my new computer system, I have had the question asked

"Why use FSX SE when you have P3D"?

This has made me think, maybe I am use to using FSX SE and wish to compare FSX SE and P3D on my new system.

Is there any advantage in only having P3D installed on my new system and keeping my new system for P3D use only.

I am aware that I will have to buy the versions of aircraft for P3D as they are not compatible between P3D and FSX SE.  The aircraft I intend to purchase and have budgeted for are PMDG  B737NGX, B777 and B747 and FSLABS A320

I have noted your comments regarding installing the simulators and the aircraft first, checking all is ok then procede with the add ons which will be airports from Scenery200 and all ORBX scenery products followed by Active Sky and flight planning software PFPX and TOPCAT

i have a couple of weeks off work, I hope the grass will not grow to quickly as I have a lot to do..ha..ha

Any advice or guidance regarding my new build most welcome

My new specifications will be

I7-7700 (4.2Gh)

EVGA 8Gb GeForce GTX 1080

32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz

1Tb Samsung SSD

Windows 10

6 hours ago, clive6354 said:

Any advice or guidance regarding my new build most welcome

Take small steps.  Install the simulator, make sure it works. Install addons one at a time making sure they work.  Okay to install many sceneries during same session in my opinion.  Be aware of updates and check for them when you are checking for runtime errors.  Be sure to review PMDG recommendations in the Introduction document for FSX/P3D products.  AVISM P3D forum has a good guide to setting up P3D pinned to near the top the list.

Dan Downs KCRP