n4gix

"The Thinning" (new YouTubeRed movie)

It's astonishing the things one can find while simply browsing for something else entirely. Here is a new "YouTubeRed" full-featured movie that is truly horrifying! Imagine a future society that is over populated, and the government's "solution" is to terminate with extreme prejudice all high-school students who "fail" a standardized test, with no second chance allowed...

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There's plenty of scrotes around who this should apply to... right now... no need to wait for the future... ;)

It reminds me of a sci-fi book, and a short film on youtube, don't know if it will be made a movie. I'll post back when I find it.

Aah, another high school where everyone is in their 20s lol. It's good job for all involved that the criteria for being selected for execution wasn't acting ability or scriptwriting!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Here's the book I was on about - Unwind:

Thanks a lot. My local library has all of the volumes of this Dystology in the Teen section. Now I'll have to go check them out and read them... :blink:

Hi Folks,

Umm - just the opposite premise of "Logan's Run"  - - - good news for the over 30 crowd - - - and the overpopulated is coming - just crunch the numbers - Soylent Green anyone ???

:huh:

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

Its an interesting thought experiment, but I dont believe it could never work in anything resembling reality, at least not for long.

No animal is going to sit by while its children are systematically eliminated for the sake of somebody else's policy. Especially as human nature dictates that those making said policy will always find some way/excuse to exempt their own progeny.

Its an unstable system just begging for super-violent revolution.

Reminds me of the episode "Examination Day" from the remake of The Twilight Zone in the mid-80's. In a dystopian future, kids were required to take a state-run IQ test at certain age.

If their IQ was too high, they were killed. I remember the end of the episode (where you didn't realize the outcome of the test) when the parents were called and said their kid's IQ exceeded state standards, and what would they like done with their kid's body.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Umm - just the opposite premise of "Logan's Run"  - - - good news for the over 30 crowd - - - and the overpopulated is coming - just crunch the numbers - Soylent Green anyone ???

:huh:

Regards,
Scott

I am surprised at the number of people I talk with who have never heard of Soylent Green.  And it's not just the millennials or Gen-X'ers, it's the baby boomers, those who were going to movie theaters when Soylent Green was released.

Yup, and of course the original book, 'Make room, Make room!', from which the screenplay for Soylent Green was developed, was written by my favourite Sci-Fi author, the wonderful Harry Harrison, of Stainless Steel Rat fame.

• Upvote 1

Ah, yes! Slippery Jim DiGriz - I first came across him thanks to 2000AD comic. But we digress..

6 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Here's a short film based on the book:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9snP4HuRsr4

"I don't want to die!"

"Sweetie, you aren't going to die, you just stop living."

A distinction without any difference I believe! Gads what a frightening idea.

Also, Shirley Jackson's classic "The Lottery". In that story, only one person in the town was chosen each year to be sacrificed (by stoning), but very chilling nevertheless due to (almost) everyone's matter-of-fact acceptance of the practice. ("We have always done it this way...")

• Upvote 2

Hi Folks,

Or the original Star Trek episode where they encounter two planets that have been at war for millennia - in order to make it neat, clean, and painless - the planets decided to implement a computer program to manage the war - no buildings are destroyed - no destruction - just if the computer says you were killed in a virtual attack - your dutifully marched off to the nearest neat and clean disposal unit to be vaporized - hence war could be maintained indefinitely... Old Kirk violated the prime directive in that episode by destroying the computer - forcing the worlds to either truly go to war or make peace... Makes you wonder about our neat and clean drone warfare today...

Regards,
Scott

A similar plot point features in the original movie version of The Time Machine too, whereby when the 'air raid' sirens go off, the peaceful Eloi dutifully walk into the 'shelters' long after the nuclear war has finished, only to end up as food for the subterranean Morlocks. Still a great movie even today, and like many movies and TV shows, they can serve as allegories for issues in th real world.

An interesting point to observe about that Star Trek episode you mention, which was titled: A Taste of Armageddon (first brodcast in early 1967), and indeed several other Star Trek episodes, most notably, A Private Little War (first broadcast in early 1968, exactly at the time when the Tet Offensive occured in Vietnam), is that they were very obviously commentaries on the issues of the day. A Private Little War, is quite clearly an allegorical story about the dangers of fighting the proxy wars which our major superpowers were indulging in, in places like Angola, Korea and Vietnam at the time.

Star Trek is of course notable for having pushed the boundaries somewhat, famously having featured the first on screen inter-racial kiss on US TV, and for having women portrayed in positions of responsibility on starships. Both things being quite innovative at the time. But it is certainly interesting to note that Star Trek creator Gene Roddenbury, who flew B-17s in WW2 with the 394th - so clearly no stranger to war - was evidently a strong advocate of trying to avoid war when we see scripts such as the ones mentioned above being approved by him, and he was clearly aware of how such stories might serve to illustrate the wider issues of advocating warfare.

It's very evident that the Klingons were meant to represent the Russians and the Romulans representative of the Chinese in the original Star Trek series, the peace with the Russians following the thawing of the Cold War saw the Klingons serving on the Enterprise in the Next Generation series. So it's all very relevant to the times.

Hi Folks,

Funny bit of Star Trek Trivia (I'm really not a "trekie") - the woman who played "Checkov's Girlfriend" in the episode with the "hippies" lived right next store to my parents in Maine - my daughter adored her while growing up (unrelated to Star Trek)... To this day - I think she still goes to the conventions...

Regards,
Scott

Did some digging the other day about a Star Trek 'first', which it turns out isn't actually true. That being the claim it featured the first ever inter-racial kiss on mainstream TV. There are actually quite a few contenders for the claim, but whichever one you choose, that Star Trek kiss certainly ain't the first. Quite an interesting subject considering how things were back in those days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_interracial_kiss_on_television

When I was a kid, I thought the leaders of countries that wanted to fight should have 1v1 battles to the death.

Bet there would be a lot fewer wars...... Though on teh other hand I think Putin would snap Trumps neck....

What a novel idea.... Young, fit, Presidents.

You were not unique in thinking that! I still think that way. If the so-called leaders had to duke it out personally, there would be a lot less strife.

Kim jong un VS Trump, both well oiled and in sumo gear of course...... (sits very still for a moment to keep from bursting into laughter)

Aaaaaaaaaand, Trump would probably still go down. We Americans like our politicos kind of old....... :blink:

In fact, I think the only politico I know I would back in a fair fight might be a younger John McCain.

Maybe Ryan? (shudders)

Ok, lets just call it. Putin wins. How's your Russian?

World leaders in an alternate universe.....

quEEMb.jpg