Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

"The Thinning" (new YouTubeRed movie)

A similar plot point features in the original movie version of The Time Machine too, whereby when the 'air raid' sirens go off, the peaceful Eloi dutifully walk into the 'shelters' long after the nuclear war has finished, only to end up as food for the subterranean Morlocks. Still a great movie even today, and like many movies and TV shows, they can serve as allegories for issues in th real world.

An interesting point to observe about that Star Trek episode you mention, which was titled: A Taste of Armageddon (first brodcast in early 1967), and indeed several other Star Trek episodes, most notably, A Private Little War (first broadcast in early 1968, exactly at the time when the Tet Offensive occured in Vietnam), is that they were very obviously commentaries on the issues of the day. A Private Little War, is quite clearly an allegorical story about the dangers of fighting the proxy wars which our major superpowers were indulging in, in places like Angola, Korea and Vietnam at the time.

Star Trek is of course notable for having pushed the boundaries somewhat, famously having featured the first on screen inter-racial kiss on US TV, and for having women portrayed in positions of responsibility on starships. Both things being quite innovative at the time. But it is certainly interesting to note that Star Trek creator Gene Roddenbury, who flew B-17s in WW2 with the 394th - so clearly no stranger to war - was evidently a strong advocate of trying to avoid war when we see scripts such as the ones mentioned above being approved by him, and he was clearly aware of how such stories might serve to illustrate the wider issues of advocating warfare.

It's very evident that the Klingons were meant to represent the Russians and the Romulans representative of the Chinese in the original Star Trek series, the peace with the Russians following the thawing of the Cold War saw the Klingons serving on the Enterprise in the Next Generation series. So it's all very relevant to the times.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Folks,

Funny bit of Star Trek Trivia (I'm really not a "trekie") - the woman who played "Checkov's Girlfriend" in the episode with the "hippies" lived right next store to my parents in Maine - my daughter adored her while growing up (unrelated to Star Trek)... To this day - I think she still goes to the conventions...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Did some digging the other day about a Star Trek 'first', which it turns out isn't actually true. That being the claim it featured the first ever inter-racial kiss on mainstream TV. There are actually quite a few contenders for the claim, but whichever one you choose, that Star Trek kiss certainly ain't the first. Quite an interesting subject considering how things were back in those days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_interracial_kiss_on_television

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

When I was a kid, I thought the leaders of countries that wanted to fight should have 1v1 battles to the death.

Bet there would be a lot fewer wars...... Though on teh other hand I think Putin would snap Trumps neck....

What a novel idea.... Young, fit, Presidents.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You were not unique in thinking that! I still think that way. If the so-called leaders had to duke it out personally, there would be a lot less strife.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Kim jong un VS Trump, both well oiled and in sumo gear of course...... (sits very still for a moment to keep from bursting into laughter)

Aaaaaaaaaand, Trump would probably still go down. We Americans like our politicos kind of old....... :blink:

In fact, I think the only politico I know I would back in a fair fight might be a younger John McCain.

Maybe Ryan? (shudders)

Ok, lets just call it. Putin wins. How's your Russian?

World leaders in an alternate universe.....

quEEMb.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5