Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

pb16 is here

It's almost perfect ! They need to fix the light/cloud bug. Performance is pretty good !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

15 minutes ago, strider1 said:

It's almost perfect ! They need to fix the light/cloud bug. Performance is pretty good !

What is that?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

What is that?

Autogen lights visible through the clouds.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

4 hours ago, strider1 said:

Autogen lights visible through the clouds.

Please find a bug report , we have to press LR on this.

afaik ben talked about this in the comments a few blogs ago. he is aware of it, there are ways to minimze it but to get rid of it is abit more complicated and most likely wont make the 11.0 release.

5 hours ago, GusRodrigues said:

MD-80 is Flight model completely broken.

As a community, it would be of great help, if you could elaborate on what is "broken".  The MD-80, as well as the B737 are more complex aircraft (compared to say, the C172SP), as well as a first for LR as default aircraft.  If the issues you have found are indeed in need of fixing, please file a bug report ( http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html ) so that the right people can look into this and make the fix.  Statements like the one you made won't help the cause.  Since we are so close to an RTM, it is important that LR be aware of anything that might be lingering and get it fixed. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

28 minutes ago, alpha12125 said:

afaik ben talked about this in the comments a few blogs ago. he is aware of it, there are ways to minimze it but to get rid of it is abit more complicated and most likely wont make the 11.0 release.

I also wouldn't classify this as a bug, but rather a feature that needs further development.  From what I gather, the clouds themselves need to evolve into a particle based system, whereby the clouds produce varying degrees of volume, thus decreasing the amount of light that can pass through them.  In fact, this could go hand in hand with the issue of LOD and lights.  As many have pointed out, you still get a "pop-up" effect with lights at night, when looking out beyond the LOD, so either the lights are there or they're not.  If there was a way to transition, or fade-in the lights (from small and dim to full scale), this would emulate as close to real life, in what we would see as we travel across the terrain.  In theory, this could work, but may require more light textures and a process for introducing the right size and intensity of light, and the same could hold true for passing through clouds and not seeing the full scale lighting as a constant, but rather a transitioning source.  If that could be achieved, then they wouldn't need to concentrate too much on the volume of the clouds, as they CAN block scenery from appearing below them, and that too gets reflected light from the sky for them to appear as they do without clouds.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

13 minutes ago, Jimm said:

I also wouldn't classify this as a bug, but rather a feature that needs further development.  From what I gather, the clouds themselves need to evolve into a particle based system, whereby the clouds produce varying degrees of volume, thus decreasing the amount of light that can pass through them.  In fact, this could go hand in hand with the issue of LOD and lights.  As many have pointed out, you still get a "pop-up" effect with lights at night, when looking out beyond the LOD, so either the lights are there or they're not.  If there was a way to transition, or fade-in the lights (from small and dim to full scale), this would emulate as close to real life, in what we would see as we travel across the terrain.  In theory, this could work, but may require more light textures and a process for introducing the right size and intensity of light, and the same could hold true for passing through clouds and not seeing the full scale lighting as a constant, but rather a transitioning source.  If that could be achieved, then they wouldn't need to concentrate too much on the volume of the clouds, as they CAN block scenery from appearing below them, and that too gets reflected light from the sky for them to appear as they do without clouds.

These are all good improvements for the long term, but in the short term we need to look through overcast and don't see lights. Right now is a bug, a killer immersion bug for many, me included. It's like trees, we know that a full revamp of 3D vegetation would be awesome but in the meanwhile some better blending trees would be very welcome. In this case though I can agree with you and talk about a feature which requires further enhacement.

1 minute ago, Desaix said:

These are all good improvements for the long term, but in the short term we need to look through overcast and don't see lights.

Sorry bud, but that doesn't quite make sense.  In an overcast situation, from the air of course, you really can't see anything.  I believe what you mean is that when in overcast, you shouldn't see anything but the vapor from the clouds. :biggrin:

To expand a little on what I stated previous, adding (or figuring out) volume (similar in the way that ActiveSkyNext does it), is key to good cloud cover.  During the day, the cloud system seems to work fine, as it seems that every time I fly in the UK, they have nothing but clouds, though as a good observation, you can fly in and out of them and get either an increase or decrease of what is below.  it's at night where things fall apart, due to those lights, and this is where they need to figure out how to either block the light, or cause the light to fade out.

There is also the long-standing bug of stars and lights being visible in the water and through terrain. It's not a killer bug, but does look odd. My biggest gripe at the moment is the glowing trees. I know it will get fixed at some point, but it can look so bad at times that it ruins the sim for low-level GA. Disabling shadows and adjusting the time of day helps.

1 minute ago, tonywob said:

There is also the long-standing bug of stars and lights being visible in the water and through terrain. It's not a killer bug, but does look odd. My biggest gripe at the moment is the glowing trees. I know it will get fixed at some point, but it can look so bad at times that it ruins the sim for low-level GA. Disabling shadows and adjusting the time of day helps.

Here's a question for you Tony, since you are one of the scenery Gods:  What makes the textures on aircraft different than those of trees and buildings?  If you were to look at the trees and buildings at around sunset (or any time where the sun is low enough on the sky), you can see the buildings glow just as bad as the trees.  For the aircraft, it's a different story.  I think Austin and Ben touched on this about how they are working on how to get materials to respond accordingly to direct and ambient light, but right now, I agree with you that the trees need that sort of fix, as well as buildings.  If anything, I think more shadows are needed or at least bumped up in intensity to counter the glow.

Btw, slightly off topic, has anyone tried the varying degrees of antialiasing settings?  I know there is a setting to introduce more AO, and maybe that would help?  I'm taking stabs in the dark on this one. :blink:

Just given the default planes a go around the Demo with latest 16 release, KSEA area very nice....but for me.....the clouds are still a performance issue..look so much better but Rob me of FPS from 30 down to anything below 24....not sure if XEnviro would do better.

Have not got any payware aircraft yet as I am still Demo but I am starting to think that performance would dip further with addon Birds...granted my system is 5 years old i7 2600 oc 4.5 and GT970 to boot...but should still run it..I am waiting to get a new system but wanted the sim to get to RTM before I pull the trigger..

Watching with interest!

Cheers 

5 minutes ago, FLAPS15 said:

Just given the default planes a go around the Demo with latest 16 release, KSEA area very nice....but for me.....the clouds are still a performance issue..look so much better but Rob me of FPS from 30 down to anything below 24....not sure if XEnviro would do better.

Have not got any payware aircraft yet as I am still Demo but I am starting to think that performance would dip further with addon Birds...granted my system is 5 years old i7 2600 oc 4.5 and GT970 to boot...but should still run it..I am waiting to get a new system but wanted the sim to get to RTM before I pull the trigger..

Watching with interest!

Cheers 

If you watch your cpu and gpu limit values (refer to my pinned topic in the tips and tricks forum), you can determine what is lagging behind, but at first guess, I would say the gpu could use a boost.  The weather system is improved, but it still costs some performance.