Sign in to follow this  
Ulrich Wilgenbus

FSX-SE INSTALL & TEXTURE PROBLEM

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, if not please move or remove.

1)  I was wondering whether there is any way of downloading an FSX Steam installer once to avoid having to download the entire approx 20GB through the Steam client each time you do a re-install. Due to the problem described below I am thinking of doing a clean install of Windows and FSX and setting up a second PC I have at home to run some addons remotely. 

2)  I have seen some threads asking about this issue but no clear answer. I did a flight yesterday EDDF - LOWW... when departing EDDF all textures were loaded properly however, when arriving at LOWW the terminal buildings seem not to have loaded at all. I can see all the runways and taxiways and the jetways are where they are supposed to be but the terminal building to which they are supposed to be attached are missing. I thought that the flight may have just been loaded incorretly. I restarted the sim and loaded LOWW, everything was normal, yet when arriving back at EDDF on the return leg, the terminal buildings at EDDF was missing.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

System:

Intel i7 3.4ghz

Nvidia GTX 640

8GB RAM

Running addons at the time of the texture issue:

Active Sky 2016

Spad.Next and Saitek panels

VATSIM vPilot & VatSpy

PMDG 737NGX

REX Worldwide Airports HD

PFPX & TOPCAT

9 hours ago, Ulrich Wilgenbus said:

1)  I was wondering whether there is any way of downloading an FSX Steam installer once to avoid having to download the entire approx 20GB through the Steam client each time you do a re-install.

I can't help with #2, but if you find that you need to perform relatively frequent reinstalls of FSX:SE, I have a method which works well for me. Steam does provide a backup and restore feature, but I've never used it and for that reason I don't fully trust it. I use a manual method which works beautifully for me and all my Steam games.

To back up Steam programs upon their initial download... (manual method)

1. Start by letting Steam download a clean version of the game, but do NOT run the game for the first time. Then fully close Steam (don't just minimize to the tray).

2. Then, back up the game's directory found in the "Steam \ steamapps \ common" directory. In the case of FSX, it will be a directory named "FSX".

3. Then, back up the .ACF file for the game found in the "Steam \ steamapps" directory. Each Steam program has an ACF file which has the application ID number associated with the title. In the case of FSX, this would be the "appmanifest_314160.acf" file.

Once the backup copying is complete and you the directory and file tucked away somewhere safe, you are clear to start the game for the first time and proceed with your reloading of addons and customizations.

To restore Steam programs on a new, clean computer... (manual method)

1. Install Steam and exit Steam completely (*don't just minimize it to the tray).

2. Copy the backed up folder and ACF file in their "original" locations. In the case of FSX...

FSX directory goes into "Steam \ steamapps \ common"
.ACF goes into "Steam \ steamapps"

3. Launch Steam and see that the program is now available for launch.

4. Depending on the age of your backup, certain programs may update themselves with new updates or content. If this happens, let Steam download and complete the update, and exit Steam completely once again. Repeat the copy-out process and update your backed up folder and files with this new data so that the next time, you don't need to sit through that update again!

It may be a manual process, but I like it because it puts me control of what is happening and it's a process I understand. I actually back up all of my Steam games with this process before I launch them for the first time.

Good luck!

Loss of airport buildings, terminals, etc can be attributed to having your Scenery Complexity slider

not maxed out.  Check it and max it to the right, if it isn't already!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

11 hours ago, Ulrich Wilgenbus said:

I was wondering whether there is any way of downloading an FSX Steam installer once to avoid having to download the entire approx 20GB through the Steam client each time you do a re-install.

Yes there is - it's built into Steam. Start Steam and click on the Steam menu (top left of the box), select Backup and Restore Games... and follow the prompts. It lets you select file sizes so that you can make a one-file backup or multiple CD-ROM or DVD-ROM sized backups.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit