Sign in to follow this  
pduck

Repaint Question

Hi PMDG, just a quick question regarding a repaint. The Air New Zealand liveries that came with the release are the RB211-G3 powered 400's. It was only the first three 400's that were RR powered. The other five were CF6-80C2 powered. What would I have to do to create a GE powered version.

You help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Phil Duck

Assuming you're referring to ZK-SUH, if you know anything about repainting, all you have to do is go in the aircraft.cfg, locate the entry for that plane, switch out the model and sounds to alias it to the General Electric variant rather than the Rolls-Royce variant, and then replace the engine texture.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-New-Zealand/Boeing-747-475/2398049/L

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Assuming you're referring to ZK-SUH, if you know anything about repainting, all you have to do is go in the aircraft.cfg, locate the entry for that plane, switch out the model and sounds to alias it to the General Electric variant rather than the Rolls-Royce variant, and then replace the engine texture.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-New-Zealand/Boeing-747-475/2398049/L

The picture at the link is copyrighted. From right above the picture - "This photo is copyright protected and may not be used in any way without proper permission."

4 hours ago, pcubine said:

The picture at the link is copyrighted. From right above the picture - "This photo is copyright protected and may not be used in any way without proper permission."

so?

6 hours ago, pcubine said:

My understanding of that was that using the image directly wasn't allowed. As far as I was aware, posting the link to get to the image is fine. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to show anybody any picture, and the site wouldn't be generating any traffic or making any money.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

7 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

My understanding of that was that using the image directly wasn't allowed. As far as I was aware, posting the link to get to the image is fine. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to show anybody any picture, and the site wouldn't be generating any traffic or making any money.

9 hours ago, Fabo said:

so?

Jim Young, Avsim Forums Administrator has indicated no links to copyrighted pictures and in particular Airliners.net has requested that all links to copyrighted photos on there site be deleted.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Fabo said:

so?

9 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

https://www.avsim.com/AVSIM Pages/screen_shot_rules.html/

believe  rule  9   covers   this  copyright being  shown

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

2 hours ago, pete_auau said:

https://www.avsim.com/AVSIM Pages/screen_shot_rules.html/

believe  rule  9   covers   this  copyright being  shown

Says the image will be removed as it should not a link to the copyrighted image. There is a vast vast difference in the two.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

10 hours ago, pcubine said:

Jim Young, Avsim Forums Administrator has indicated no links to copyrighted pictures and in particular Airliners.net has requested that all links to copyrighted photos on there site be deleted.

That can't be right.

Of course you aren't allowed to post copyrighted pictures themselves on here. A link is a link, not a picture.

I know a couple years back any mention of airliners.net was flagged, even in plaintext, and I asked the staff about it. It was confirmed that linking was OK, but their countermeasures to embedding the pictures picked up links as well. This was apparently fixed since.

7 minutes ago, Fabo said:

That can't be right.

Don't tell me. You tell Jim Young he is wrong.

7 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

All right, unfortunately, it isn't giving me the option to edit the post anymore, so can't fix that.

Kevin

Once the edit has disappeared from the post there is nothing you can do yourself. Maybe a moderator will see it and take care of it. I wouldn't worry about.

56 minutes ago, pcubine said:

Kevin

Once the edit has disappeared from the post there is nothing you can do yourself. Maybe a moderator will see it and take care of it. I wouldn't worry about.

I'm going with the black and white interpretation of the posted forum rule which states no images. It does not say no links and does not list airliners.net exclusively.  

I think it's safe to say staff since Toms post in 2009 has had a change of heart.  People have been posting airliners.net links (not images) in the repaint thread for months without any forum moderators editing posts, warning or suspensions.

Posting a link to the image page should not be an issue.  All credit is given to the image publisher on the page so it is not plagiarism.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

37 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

I'm going with the black and white interpretation

I think it's safe to say staff since Toms post in 2009 has had a change of heart.  

How can you interpret no to mean yes. And it is 2017 not 2009. This is from Jim Young's message to me yesterday afternoon - "No.  Airliners.net specifically told us not to do it and we will remove any link to Airliners.net.  See our copyright policy under Rules and Policies."

14 minutes ago, pcubine said:

Airliners.net specifically told us not to do it and we will remove any link to Airliners.net

It's an odd policy for sure. They have ads on that site. Why wouldn't they want the clicks that a link might generate? I guess we all have our ideosyncrasies.

Walter Meier