Sign in to follow this  
daniel2688

Something Is Holding Me Back

I have been wanting a Piper Chieftain for fsx for as long as the fsd one has looked old.

When Alabeo brought their PA31-350 out I was excited, but there is something holding me back 

from purchasing it. I know that the fuel system is not like the real aircraft from what I've read and I have 

also read that the cockpit shakes a lot on shut down. 

What I want to know is, Is this aircraft worth buying? And seeing as it is a widely used aircraft in Australia, are there 

any repaints of it from Australia? 

Well, as the FDEs are very realistic (according to RW Navajo/Chieftain pilots) I like it a lot, but if your flying experience is going to be spoiled by tiny items like excessive shaking during shut down, I don't think that you will be satisfied. The fuel system is just plain standard FSX (as everything Carenado/Alabeo does).

With the Alabeo Chieftain, I found that the Garmin G600 and Avidyne displays slowed my frames per second by 5% over the Carenado Navajo, so if your computer is struggling with fps, smooth display, and texture loading, this is something to consider.  I really wish Alabeo had used Carenado's Navajo instrument panel as it represents the typical instrumentation and avionics in a huge swath of Navajos and Chieftains.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi Folks,

My two cents - if you're buying Carenado/Alabeo - don't buy glass... I've had much better luck with steam powered gauges and GTN/GNS refits...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I too really wish they made it with an analog panel, there are very few PA31's out there with the money 

spent on them to the level I see on this one.

33 minutes ago, daniel2688 said:

I too really wish they made it with an analog panel, there are very few PA31's out there with the money 

spent on them to the level I see on this one.

Very few, and I expect most of them are actually Panther conversion/upgrades.   It would be great if Alabeo would do an update with an analog panel as an option.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

+1

Or as they have done already, include the ability to swap the panel layout.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, polizei said:

+1

Or as they have done already, include the ability to swap the panel layout.

++1.  Their analog gauges are, generally, very nice.  Their glass is awful.  People should get a discount for buying their glass.  I do have to say, however, that at least their trying which is more than I can say for most other devs.  I have, honestly, begun to wonder if there will ever be good GA glass apart from Flight1 and Reality XP addons.  Another good airplane that I wish they'd offer analog in is the TBM.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I was also hoping they would do a freighter version (which I know has already been said in another thread).

It all kinda seems like a missed opportunity on what is still a great plane.

Maybe Flysimware will do one?  

Well I took the risk with this one and scottb613, you were right.

The aircraft was ready to go on my flight after I purchased it from the Justflight store

and I had a CTD. It would seem that trying to run a basic G500 and WX500 with all the other 

things in the cabin is just a bit too much for my system I think. Maybe I'll just fly it when there are no clouds 

in the sky haha