Sign in to follow this  
TrevorS

"Out of the blue" OOM warning sounds when changing views

I've never had this problem before. I have the PMDG 777 and FS Labs concorde and have always changed views continuosly between VC and spotview.

All of a sudden now, when I change views in these two aircraft, I get the chime that I am low on VAS and I see a significant drop in the VAS ( I am using FSUIPC to monitor VAS).

What can be the cause of this?

Assistance to solve this one would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Trevor

PMDG has some excellent advice in the PMDG 777 Intro Guide on VAS.  When you run out of VAS, it means your settings are too high for your FSX.cfg AND display driver settings.  Real weather (especially when nasty) and photo scenery or commercial scenery and high Autogen settings will also speed up the loss of VAS.  Most of the time OOM's occur at the end of the flight while landing at a commercial airport like FSDT's, FlightBeams, Taxi2Gate, etc. 

There are tons of topics on OOM's and there are no other solutions other than the above until FSX goes to 64 bit (which will never happen). 

Topic moved to CTD Forum.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim

"None of the above" !!

No settings have been changed. No change of drivers. No weather. Default scenery. OOM warning occurs within the first minute as soon as I change views.

This is a SUDDEN problem. Never had it before. That's why I have posted. It has nothing to do with my settings - they have worked OK for years.

Trevor

I would run Process Monitor as configured on Page 17, AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature).  This will tell you all that is running and loading during the flight.

I'll send this topic back to the FSX Forum.  Thought you were getting an actual crash.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What is so weird is that this is only happening with PMDG 777, PMDG 737 and FSLabs concorde.

The default aircraft are OK as well as AS A320, Level-d 767, CS 707/727

I have an nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb card using the  376.33 driver.

???????

Trevor

Edited by TrevorS
to add info

22 minutes ago, TrevorS said:

What is so weird is that this is only happening with PMDG 777, PMDG 737 and FSLabs concorde.

The default aircraft are OK as well as AS A320, Level-d 767, CS 707/727

???????

Trevor

Those are "lighter" payware aircraft. PMDG and FSLabs are FAR MORE demanding in FSX in terms of VAS usage. Near killing!

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

I understand, but you are missing the point.

Two days ago the PMDG aircraft did not have this problem!

Trevor

Something did change and it will take a process of elimination to find it. First place I would check is your "windows update" and the "uninstall programs" folders for anything that got installed/updated recently. Are you on Windows 10? It has a nasty habit of upgrading drivers without telling you and this could be your problem. If you don't find anything suspects in those places I would start disabling addons and external programs one by one to see if you can find a culprit. That's all I can think of for now.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Do you have an Nvidia video card? Try installing the 376.33 drivers, do not run windows update after because it will install the broken vas leaking .53 version

All Nvidia drivers after .33 for me, leak vas, even if you see your vas usage is not approaching 4gb, the sim still gets an OOM. There is some vas leak bug that Nvidia has ignored and I doubt they will fix it since they are concentrating on making the new card work good in DX12, not DX9 or DX10.

Did you check your virtual memory? sometimes it changes because of some dark reason and then this might happen to. I have it at 3072 Mb and then I don't get problems but before a while it went down to 1000Mb and with some troubles. Changing views with heavy addons creates a sudden increase in virtual memory.

Herman

Good point.  This should always be set to system managed size.  Anything else and you will get into trouble with FSX.

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I still cannot determine what suddenly changed.

Using PE, I see that when FSX opens with a default flight at default airport, the VAS usage is already 3.1 to 3.3 !!!!!

1.   Can someone please tell me what the VAS should be at start up

2.   How do I fix this problem. Everything on the sim is default except the planes. My settings are all medium. Using a GTX 1060.

3.   Should I uninstall and re-install FSX. Will this help??????

4.   HELP plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trevor

31 minutes ago, TrevorS said:

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I still cannot determine what suddenly changed.

You haven't confirmed or said what nVidia driver you're using as asked by 777300lrf a few posts up. A lot of people had that driver update by Windows not realizing it and caused VAS issues.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

32 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

You haven't confirmed or said what nVidia driver you're using as asked by 777300lrf a few posts up. A lot of people had that driver update by Windows not realizing it and caused VAS issues.

He did in post #5.  It was my first thought too until I saw this.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎26 at 0:49 PM, TrevorS said:

Sorry Trevor.  Wish I could help. (I have P3D, so I can't get a default benchmark for you)

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

2 minutes ago, netshadoe said:

He did in post #5.  It was my first thought too until I saw this.

Yep, I missed that.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator