Sign in to follow this  
DT506

Wing view from cockpit problem

I'm having a small issue since updating the 747.

I mainly fly from the cockpit view and view left or right to give a view out of the cockpit. I'm using a homecockpit option.

Since the update if i view left or right i can now see the wing tip and outer engine from withing the cockpit but there are no textures displaying.

The wing and engine are just white in colour.

Ive tried a new livery but its still the same. 

Is there some way to disable the wing/engine from being displayed from within the cockpit?

All other views are working perfectly.

Hi Darren, 

I don't think the purpose of the wing you see from the cockpit is for us to look at it. If you move the camera outside of the cockpit while staying in the Virtual Cockpit view, you'll notice that the fuselage of the plane says "INTENTIONALLY UNTEXTURED SHADOW MODEL." They're using this less detailed model to add a more realistic shadow while in the Virtual Cockpit. We used to only be able to see the shadow of the cockpit, instead of the entire plane. 

Ethan Eshkol

Thanks Ethan,

I thought it was something like this. Because i use a 3 monitor widescreen setup when i view left or right i see this untextured wing.

Is it possible to remove? It wasnt there before the update.

Question to real life pilots: is it possible to see the 744 wing from the cockpit windows?

James Goggi

2 hours ago, jgoggi said:

is it possible to see the 744 wing from the cockpit windows?

Yes, if you're right up on the window.

Kyle Rodgers

4 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

If only the wing tip is visible, couldn't it be possible to texturize only that part, so that it looks ok from the cockpit?

James Goggi

8 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

If only the wing tip is visible, couldn't it be possible to texturize only that part, so that it looks ok from the cockpit?

Possible? Sure.

Worth is for the increased VAS consumption (and frames, I might add) for something you have to consciously go out of your way to see? I'd argue no.

...this is all on top of the fact that the model itself is simply there to sidestep a change in how P3D only casts the VC model on the ground, instead of using the external model (as FSX has done for over a decade).

If it's important to you for whatever reason, the appropriate area to bring it to our attention is support.precisionmanuals.com .

Kyle Rodgers

No, I agree that it's not important (at least for me) if it has any negative impact on fps.... Further, I have EZDOK with cockpit walls active and by no means I manage to stick my face to the side window, so I can't even see the untextured wing tip ;-).

James Goggi

3 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

No, I agree that it's not important (at least for me) if it has any negative impact on fps.... Further, I have EZDOK with cockpit walls active and by no means I manage to stick my face to the side window, so I can't even see the untextured wing tip ;-).

haha - exactly. That's my thought. I'm just glad to not have that awkward floating VC box shadow. I'm there to simulate sitting in the pilot seat and flying a plane. The shadow model doesn't have all kinds of detail, and it doesn't have the wing flex and all that. All the same, it's there to cast a normal shadow, and it does that just fine. I don't really want too much detail and texturing on a wing part that I've never bothered to go out of my way to look at directly. Much like detailed cabins in a VC model, all you're doing is hampering VC performance for stuff that isn't really related to the flight deck experience.

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Kyle is not exaggerating, you have to have your head practically against the window, with your neck swiveled back, and then you can just see the wingtip and maybe a few feet in...

I recall if you push your face against the window at the 2nd Obs position, you can even see the inboard engine. on later aircraft, some of the windows have a double pane (presumably for noise reduction). This may make viewing a little more difficult.

If you don't have ice detectors, at least you know if your wing is icing up.

As you can see in this photo, the wingtip is visible even with your head quite far from the window.

WingView744.jpg

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)