Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

FSX on laptop: does resolution matter.

My hypothetical question: if I had two identical laptops except with a different display screen built into these two identical laptops:

Laptop 1 has a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Another identical laptop 2 except it has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Then would laptop 2 run FSX at a whole lot faster frame rate? or just a little faster frame rate? Or about the same framerate? 

--

Reference: 

I ran FSX just fine with quality add on scenery and airports on my old laptop (dedicated Nvidia gpu in that laptop, a 940M with 2 GB memory).

I'm in market for a new laptop, wondering if should I get one with a native resolution like laptop 1 or laptop2 ?

Thank you.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Well nobody has responded, so I would just suggest that running FSX at 4K resolution is very demanding of the hardware and of the program. I also can't imagine any benefits for running 4K on a laptop-sized screen, unless perhaps you're thinking of hooking it up to a proper display such as a 50" 4K TV. If that's your intention I'd think very carefully about your hardware before committing to it, as I'd guess the most likely result is you'll bring FSX to its knees.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

10 hours ago, Fielder said:

Laptop 1 has a native resolution of 3840x2160.

The menus in FSX (fixed pixel size) would be so small with that resolution that you would probably be unable to read them. On the average sized laptop screen 1920x1080 would look good and, all other components being identical, would almost certainly run much better than 3840x2160. 4k is just a gimmick on a laptop screen.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

There is no doubt about i: the one with higher resolution would crawl compared to the lower resolution one. This is even true for people with powerful desktops, let alone a laptop. 

Thanks guys, that makes my decision easy.

Off topic: I'm just going to keep my old laptop anyway, turned out the external power supply brick was bad, not the input power jack on the laptop motherboard, like I thought. Two power supplies did not work, so thought it must be the laptop. But no, both external supplies were bad, and a new one completely cured the problem (cheaply).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I don't run 4k on a laptop but I do plug in a 34" dell ultra sharp that runs at approx 3800x1500. My laptop has an I7-6820 and a nvidia 980m 4 gig. Runs P3dV3.3.5 just fine. On a 17" laptop i see no advantage to going higher than 1920x1200...the display is already very good at that resolution. Personal opinion. My laptop is a msi gt72.

Dave