Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Disabling various forums?

46 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You realize that this only works for the modified unread activity stream, right? Once you click the Unread link, you are back to the default unread stream. So to avoid that, one has to always read a topic and then use the back button to get back to the URL of the modified stream.

I read that twice more and I could only laugh. I think it was hysteria. :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I agree, the forum software has some pretty odd terminology associated with how it works. I'm amazed we haven't all drowned in our own activity streams. However, that aside,the above post means that once you have all your favorite forums set up, the only way to save those options is as a bookmark in your Internet browser. It isn't supposed to work that way, but that's what's happening with the forum software at the moment.

I'm fairly certain, fighting the fug of advancing years, that the Orbx forum has a 'Select your forums' function and that's the same software. I do recall cursing and muttering when they converted but it was sorted...eventually. The trouble is I can no longer remember where the buttons are. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

20 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It isn't supposed to work that way, but that's what's happening with the forum software at the moment.

How is it supposed to work?  Have you seen it done better at FTX which uses the same upgraded forum software?  Websites come in basic form as anyone who purchases a website may not like to pay for all of the features that might come with a deluxe version.  Those were the good old days.  Now, there are some highly skilled and creative individuals who would like to also get into the marketplace and develop add-ons for IPS.  So, what you are seeing is the default and what came with the upgrade (I don't even see it on the FTX website things we have already added).  Tom bought a ton of add-ons over the years to make it easier for everyone (and we now think some of these add-ons might have affected the performance of the website).  None of those add-ons made it with the upgrade and we were told we had to purchase them all over again as they are not compatible with the new site.  As you know, Tom tried unsuccessfully to upgrade this site several times.  Once, he and I met with some "techie's" in the Reston VA Tech World to see if they could do the upgrades and optimize the site for us and they gave us an offer that was in the thousands and Tom told them we were not interested.  As I recall, Tom tried one more time to upgrade and it was not successful so he asked Chase (at Chase's recommendation) to advertise within AVSIM for someone with technical expertise and no one volunteered.  Soon after Tom passed away unexpectedly but appointed me, Chase, and Chuck on the Board of Director's to run the website.  We are trying as much as we can to get the site upgraded, stable, and to find all of the add-ons previously installed.  I am the only retired and non-working member on the Board.  Chase, Chuck, and our tech all have other jobs and they work on the site when they can and that might mean a couple of hours once a week.  We'll get there eventually....

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm not complaining  about the software. I've said that I like the new look when it first came online. I think that the reason that a new activity stream won't save is that option must be disabled. I was just trying  to help out another  user. I figured out how to look at specific  forums so that meets my needs

Okay.  Understand.  Thanks Jay!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10