Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Taxi Arrows

Ever since the beta 11 has come out, I have been looking for the "Taxi Arrows" to show the routes to and from the gates when using the ATC flight plan.  I have clicked on the the arrow box in the menu but have not scene any sort of guidance on the ground as I use to have in FSX. Does X-plane have this guidance feature as it appears to in the graphics menu? If not, then will "all" the gates and taxiways be labeled?  

I have been using the map mode to look at the gate numbers and then making up my own routes that are hopefully close to the ATC generated ones.

Terry

I did a Google search and this is the only thing that came up on the arrow taxi guide. This is from the ATC section in the X-plane 11 desktop manual. 

You’ll see yellow arrows painted on the ground directing you to where you should go. Where the arrows stop, you must also stop and wait for further instructions.

Well I see Zero yellow lines. I have the box checked in the General menu. to show ATC Taxi Routes .

What else do I need to do? Is this already a write-up against the beta test?

Terry

They are there but very very transparent yellow, making them almost invisible. Seems to be a bug with HDR.

Link from official blog: http://developer.x-plane.com/2017/03/i-wear-my-sun-glasses-at-night/#comments

Ben Supnik says:

March 24, 2017 at 10:05 am

I’m looking at it now. They’re not missing – they are REALLY light when HDR is on.

The fix is not at all elemental – it’s a problem in the color space of one part of the partially rendered frame at the time they are rendered.

They're there... you just have to look really hard for them.  They show up better when it's dark in the sim world.

Well I am relived to know they are there. Now if they can only figure out a way to make them visible enough for us to use.the way they were intended to be used.

Terry

36 minutes ago, Cat_Dad said:

Well I am relived to know they are there. Now if they can only figure out a way to make them visible enough for us to use.the way they were intended to be used.

Terry

They're intended to be a guide and as such, not to be a glaring series of bright yellow arrows like they are in FSX.  Proper ground operations calls for the use of charts or ATC (hence the bright yellow signs with black lettering) to aid the pilot to their runway.  I believe LR is attempting to mimic the same function that FSX has without being too overly obvious. :happy:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

18 hours ago, Jimm said:

They're intended to be a guide and as such, not to be a glaring series of bright yellow arrows like they are in FSX.  Proper ground operations calls for the use of charts or ATC (hence the bright yellow signs with black lettering) to aid the pilot to their runway.  I believe LR is attempting to mimic the same function that FSX has without being too overly obvious. :happy:

In that case, why include the feature at all?  Either make it eminently useful or get rid of it.  None of this half-measure nonsense.  People who want the "real" experience of navigating with an airport chart can disable taxi arrows in the settings menu.

19 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

In that case, why include the feature at all?  Either make it eminently useful or get rid of it.  None of this half-measure nonsense.  People who want the "real" experience of navigating with an airport chart can disable taxi arrows in the settings menu.

Only LR could answer that question for you.  Feel free to pose this to Ben and see what he says. :happy:

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

7 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Only LR could answer that question for you.  Feel free to pose this to Ben and see what he says. :happy:

I thought he already answered by indicating that the arrows were not displayed properly due to a rendering bug.

4 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I thought he already answered by indicating that the arrows were not displayed properly due to a rendering bug.

Then it sounds like you answered your own question.  Regardless of the condition of the feature right now, I am sure it will be fixed in due time.  LR has been working very hard to bring to us a more evolved version of X-Plane, so let's be fair here and be patient.  Glowing trees, improper shadows, yellow taxi arrows are all reported to them, so enjoy what you have now, and if it's that bad of an experience, fall back to XP10, right?

6 hours ago, Jimm said:

Then it sounds like you answered your own question.

Um, you were the one who suggested that the arrows were intentionally difficult to see.  I wasn't asking a question, I was deconstructing your premise.

"They're intended to be a guide and as such, not to be a glaring series of bright yellow arrows like they are in FSX."

What part of that states they were made difficult to see?  If you don't trust the quote, just look at my post again.

I can split hairs equally.

If you are that bored, there are plenty of places to fly, or are the glowing trees bothering you too much?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jimm said:

"They're intended to be a guide and as such, not to be a glaring series of bright yellow arrows like they are in FSX."

What part of that states they were made difficult to see?

The part where you said, "I believe LR is attempting to mimic the same function that FSX has without being too overly obvious."

The only reason they're not "overly obvious" is because there's a bug in how they're being rendered.