Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Turn off Windows Defender completely?

Due to a P3D issue with a corrupt user, I ended up reinstalling Windows onto my SSD, and I forgot how to completely turn off Windows Defender. Anyone got a tutorial or fix?

On 2017-03-28 at 11:09 AM, magnetite said:

Grab O&O's utility for Windows 10 (excuse it's name) and disable it.

Thanks for that tip Jeff.  Handy little tool.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

It's quite simple and doesn't really need assistance from any tool. Just go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Defender and then switch off all options there.

That's it!

Contrary to popular belief, Windows Defender does work, and as such, it isn't really prudent to turn it off completely.  What you can do (and is most recommended), is create exceptions, either with files or folders, though in my experience, folders works the best, as you can drop files into a folder that has an exception, without fear of the files being deleted (or quarantined).  I leave Windows Defender enabled and have exceptions created for any flight sim related folder.  As for scanning, you can set it to only scan at certain times on certain days, which for me is once a week, on a Sunday night, as that is most convenient and unobtrusive to my usage schedule.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

14 hours ago, tonytran said:

It's quite simple and doesn't really need assistance from any tool. Just go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Defender and then switch off all options there.

That's it!

Mine turns itself back on, and I don't feel like spending time tweaking the registry while I could be flying.  Windows 10 reminds me of a micro-managing nanny...I like it for the most part, but it's a pain in the backside.

12 hours ago, Jimm said:

Contrary to popular belief, Windows Defender does work, and as such, it isn't really prudent to turn it off completely.  What you can do (and is most recommended), is create exceptions, either with files or folders, though in my experience, folders works the best, as you can drop files into a folder that has an exception, without fear of the files being deleted (or quarantined).  I leave Windows Defender enabled and have exceptions created for any flight sim related folder.  As for scanning, you can set it to only scan at certain times on certain days, which for me is once a week, on a Sunday night, as that is most convenient and unobtrusive to my usage schedule.

I didn't turn it off...but I like the other options it gives me regarding controlling driver updates and user statistic crap they want to use.  I don't have anything to hide, I could care less, but it's MY bandwidth they're using to "look in on how I use windows".  They can pay my internet bill if they want to find more ways to nanny us all to death...lol!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

24 minutes ago, netshadoe said:

Mine turns itself back on, and I don't feel like spending time tweaking the registry while I could be flying.  Windows 10 reminds me of a micro-managing nanny...I like it for the most part, but it's a pain in the backside.

I didn't turn it off...but I like the other options it gives me regarding controlling driver updates and user statistic crap they want to use.  I don't have anything to hide, I could care less, but it's MY bandwidth they're using to "look in on how I use windows".  They can pay my internet bill if they want to find more ways to nanny us all to death...lol!

That too is a simple fix.  Try Spybot's Anti Beacon:

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit