Sign in to follow this  
shally17

Which graphics card for QOTS II

Hello All,

I have just purchased this amazing add on for FSX and notices that the software "requirements" lists a video card with at least 1 GB of VRAM and DirectX9 compatible whereas the "recommended" hardware requirements lists a video card with 4GB of VRAM and DirectX11 compatible. I currently have an ASUS GTX 680 with 2GB of VRAM. Given I am using FSX ( which I thought was CPU dependant and not video card dependant), is it worth upgrading to a GTX 1060/1070/1080? Will I get a significant increase in quality and FPS by spending money on this upgrade? (MY CFPU is an aging i7 3770 overclocked to 4.2 GHz). I always thought not with FSX until reading these suggested hardware components. Likewise, is Windows 10 64bit that much better then Windows 7 64 bit?

Regards,

Steve.

Guest JustanotherPilot

From previous replies to my posts on my GTX960, the consensus seems to be the GTX1070, although with your i7-3770 CPU(I'm running the i7-4790K @4.5) it might not be capable of achieving maximum benefits for that card, maybe you should consider the GTX 1050/60. I had the GTX 680 GPU prior to my GTX960 and the increase in performance was incredible. so anything you get will be way better than the 680. if you want to compare various cards to your 680 try this website http://gpuboss.com/, enter your 680 and any card you're considering. You might be surprised at the results.

steve

As an afterthought, if I decided on the GTX 1060, are any brands better than others? I have always used ASUS.

Guest JustanotherPilot

I

ASUS gtx 1060 gets quite a few good reviews on youtube, Im not sure if your 3770 is suitable though, particularly if its a non K version.

It's all about cost, obviously, because the 1080 has 8GB doesn't it, as well as other amazing stats, so no doubt would absolutely blast the sim. Unfortunately, you have to sell your house to buy it, and it's lack of funds that means I'm still running the new QOTS in P3D 3.4 with my virtually prehistoric i5-3570k and GTX660 set up. Still runs it all very well though, considering.

2 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

I personally would go with a 1070 or 1080, not a 1060.

I tend to agree - I'm still on a 3770K and paired it last year with a 1070, very pleased with the results I was seeking.

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |