Sign in to follow this  
john82088

Question - Considering purchase 750

I use x-plane 11 (beta 17) and I am considering purchasing the GTN 750. I was wondering what kind of  frame rate hit I would get when using this program?  I realize this question varies with type of computer but for those who implemented it on their computer, what frame rate hit they saw. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. Need to know this before purchase.

Thanks in advance.

As this guage uses the gtn trainer running outside of the core sim,  performance impact is minimized.  I use the F1 gtn, not the rxp for xplane, but the concept is the same.  Sorry I can't give you accurate numbers, but I know these products are very fps friendly on high end systems.

1 hour ago, OneWhoKnocks53 said:

but the concept is the same

Please allow me to clarify a number of concepts!

First, I'm reading in many place the solution is running as a separate process therefore it is an advantage for performance. The reality might just be different: in the end, you only have limited resources and these are shared between all programs running  on your system at the same time.*

For example (highly simplified, but to the point), if the trainer process is taking 2% of CPU time, that is 2% less for the simulator. Should the solution be in-sim only, these would still be 2% off CPU time less for the simulator. This becomes worth when running 2 trainers at the same time.

I can tell with confidence our solution is not only running the trainer process, it is also thread-shaping it to make it more efficient than when ran standalone. And I'm not talking about just assigning different CPU cores to the process (thread/process affinity). It is more complex than this. What I mean with 'thread-shaping' is that we take a finer control on the thread scheduler to make sure there is no contention on the CPU resources between the trainer(s) and the host simulation.

There are a number of other optimizations going on when our solution takes control of the trainer process especially with memory allocation and video card memory use. The trainer standalone takes a lot of memory, far less when ran in our solution!

Last but not least, the bulk of the performance impact in any such solution comes from 1) extracting the trainer rendered screen data, 2) sending this data to the simulator screen. These are where this matters the most and we are using advanced programming techniques to do it with nearly zero impact.

This means would the screen image be computed/rendered from the gauge (in-sim solution), or from the external trainer process, there is virtually no performance difference in our implementation.

Hope this helps!

*It might have a benefit in the context of FlightSim however, where it is a 32 bits process with limited per-process resources to share.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Please allow me to clarify a number of concepts!

Consider me clarified, quite impressive how you guys implemented this!

Another question. I went to purchase the program (GTN 750) and saw this message before I filled out my payment info:

The GTN 650 requires to separately download and install the "Garmin GTN/GDU 620 PC Trainer software" (supports v6.21, v6.1.1)

I am getting ready to purchase the 750. Is there another purchase that I have to make or is this also included with the purchase and I am hoping with directions on how to install everything?

Ignore my previous post above. I saw where it is a free program with instructions that should be provided upon purchase