Sign in to follow this  
hariseldon

p3dv34 - out of memory - VAS monitoring

Hello,
although I purchased the 737 for p3D a while ago, I've retrieved and started using it more recently on p3d, mainly because having all PMDG products for FSXSE

according to the manual, I set up FSUIPC to monitor VAS usage, and that trick is working perfectly on FSXSE, allowing to save the flight when I am around 200Mb from the memory ceiling

in p3Dv34, instead, I suffer a percentage of OOM crashes (on approaches, of course, when the sim starts loading landing area), even with 950Mb to go (crashes ranged from 500to 950), so I am asking whether I am missing anything in p3d tweaking when flying airliners (it happens also with AS Airbus)

- fresh Nvidia drivers 378.78

thanks (and sorry if I missed any reply in forum or manual)

What causes the crash is not the lack of total available  VAS  but rather  the lack of a large enough contiguous  block of VAS. The VAS gets fragmented  into smaller and smaller pieces as more objects are loaded into memory  and subsequently unloaded. The sim does its best to clean up the address space but it is generally a losing battle. FSUIPC  can also monitor  the largest contiguous  block of VAS but don't expect  any revelations  from doing so.

• Upvote 1

I had problems with this NVidia driver, rolled back to 376.33 and VAS usage 

was a lot more stable..Hope this helps..

www.avsim.com/forums/topic/503393-747-v3-steady-vas-increase-due-to-nvidia-drivers-not-747/

• Upvote 1

Derek C.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Derek beat me to it on the NVidia information.  Stay away from 378.xx drivers.

Although I've seen it happen, it is pretty rare to have an OOM with more than 600 MB of VAS remaining.  Perhaps the scenery that it is trying to load has a lot of photoscenery?  Those files can be 500 MB for just photoscenery not including the airport and objects.  I recommend you do some troubleshooting; for  example, start a session at that airport and note VAS then turn off the addon airport and start a new session and note difference in VAS.

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

my "high memory value" crashes happened when approaching uk2000 Heathrow v3 (+ Orbx's England), Paris Orly (+ FTX Global), Frankfurt v1 (+ FTX Global), with AS2016 trial

by lowering a lot scenery settings, I have been capable to land ...

Best VAS config for airliners IMHO is to just enable Take off airport and Landing airport in scenery.  You can use Global and vector/utx but there's really no need for every airport along the way to load when you're in the upper atmosphere. 

• Upvote 1

I use simstarter to start.

There you can disable and enable and do other tweaks then it's just to fly.

Kind regards 

• Upvote 1

Mattias Nordgren   

fs2crew777.jpg

PRO-ATCX BETA TEAM

21 hours ago, hariseldon said:

my "high memory value" crashes happened when approaching uk2000 Heathrow v3 (+ Orbx's England), Paris Orly (+ FTX Global), Frankfurt v1 (+ FTX Global), with AS2016 trial

by lowering a lot scenery settings, I have been capable to land ...

haris or what ever, get a small program called, Scenery ConfigEditor. Fantastic little program where you can turn on/off any airport scenery before you load FSX/P3D. This way, only two airports need loading and maybe a scenery when you fly over an area.

It is at: http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/ 

• Upvote 1

Geoff Bryce