Sign in to follow this  
unc1rlm

Newby Help VAS Usage

I am using p3dv3..I have the latest alpha 1.679 as of today. I notice from time to time.. the vas usage lights up and dings. I was wondering with the use of Process Lasso...what is the best setup for ChasePlane as far as all of the settings across the process Lasso line from left to righ..(ie: Rules..Priority Class...etc etc.)  I have an eight core AMD 9150.. I know there is a setting inside Chase Plane with CPU Assignments 0-7. The green button is to the right for "Dynamically select xxx". Does this need to be set or unticked if I am using Process Lasso. Do they override each? I have Windows 10 and latest p3dv3.   I am running AS2016...real traffic..proatcx and Maybe LittleNavConnect with Little NavMap on a networked machine.

Any help appreciated. I typically fly the new PMDG 747v3. As a side question..anyone using Razor/Cortex     https://www.razerzone.com/cortex   in conjunction with and does it really work? lol

Bestest to Everyone :)

Bob M.

Bob M

Hi Bob

Programs like process lasso wont help with any VAS issues, however it can be a great help to fine tune your sim rig towards a more smooth and stutter free experience when using an affinity mask in P3D. I dont use CP's dynamic CPU assignments as i have two dedicated logical processors assigned to all addons running on the sim rig. In CP i switched all the CPU's to green and disabled dynamic assignment. Then, in Process Lasso, I assigned the two dedicated addon LP's to the chaseplane.exe task

Process Lasso also offers a so called 'gaming mode' which gives the P3D task full priority over any other tasks in the background, however i couldnt really spot any difference to non-gaming mode, but it might help with microstutters if you dont run a high end system. 

Cant tell anything about Razor/Cortex though, but it seems to be similar to Process Lasso's gaming mode, or the gaming mode recently introduced with Win10. I'm quite skeptical in regards to such tools as they often cause more issues rather than providing any real benefit

For me this problem was solved rolling back the drivers for NVIDIA to 376.33

Mario
------------
Hardware: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + AMD 5900X, G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR4 3200MHz, MSI RTX 3080 Ti
Software: Windows 11, Prepar3D v5.3HF2

Thanks guys!! I did a clean reinstall of 376.33.. I am a little lost on he Process Lasso setup. I see 8 green lit up CPU Assignment and I have Dynamically select cpu turned off. When you say you have add-ons assigned to 2 cores? (in Process Lasso, I assigned the two dedicated addon LP's to the chaseplane.exe task) If not too much trouble..could you spell this out step by step. Right now I have chaseplace running without Prepard 3d and I see 4 green cores going 0-1,2,3 and 4 gray core (in Process Lasso) but probably because I haven't launched p3dv3 yet. Maybe a picture of your lasso pages so I can see your Processes . With p3dv3 running and all your addons lol. Maybe too much trouble but hey it might help an old geezer and some other newbies :)    Be glad when p3d comes out 64 bit. I am using a 970gtx video card and amd 9150 8 core. The lights in the house go dim..when I fire up my computer...the electric bill is another matter.

Warmest Regards!!

Bob M.

Edited by unc1rlm
bad spelling and thought continuity lol

Bob M

I do not use process lasso, just the affinity mask of 116 in prepar3d.cfg. I have a Core i7 6700K processor with hyperthreading. The issue with Process Lasso is easy. Firstly, set the AM for your P3D, then move the AM (with the Process Lasso tool) of all the other addons to the cores P3D is not using. Leave alone Core 0, is for Windows.

Mario
------------
Hardware: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + AMD 5900X, G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR4 3200MHz, MSI RTX 3080 Ti
Software: Windows 11, Prepar3D v5.3HF2

Problem is, before you can assign any LP's to your addons, you first need to find the optimum affinity mask for your system. It mainly depends on your CPU type and HT setting, but there's kind of a random factor that plays into it as well. Even with identical hardware setups, the optimum AF setting might be different. 

I have a 4790k with HT on, and all the suggested AF settings for this CPU resulted in microstutters and blurries (slow texture loading) on my system. I was just about to give up when i finally found THE perfect setting for my system. No microstutters and sharp terrain even with 4x time acceleration. 

I strongly advise to search the forum for the countless threads about AF and LP assignments. There's a wealth of information in this forum that just waits to be discovered. But its going to be a looooong read ;)