Just a word of caution and passing on an expensive lesson I learned delidding my 7700K.

I purchased a RockitCool delidder and spent some time looking at various guides and videos until I felt comfortable with the process. The delidding, cleanup and applicatoin of the liquid heatsink went just fine.  I had found three options for resealing the heatsink to the blank - replace the silicone on all sides, leaving a small gap, replace the silicone on just two sides or put a tiny drop of KrazyGlue on all four corners. I chose the latter.

BAD IDEA!!

After letting the cpu sit for a couple of hour I went to remove it and reinstall in mobo - remember, I only used a tiny drop on 4 corners - the glue had run down and UNDER the cpu and had nicely dried on the bottom contact pins.

Alcohol, acetone and elbow grease and I'm able to get the cpu booting BUT the max processor speed is 800ghz and so far I cannot adjust it. I also fear that some residual glue that I might have missed got on the mobo socket - I'll check that out tonight with a magnifier. An expensive lesson - probably a new cpu and possibly a new mobo.

Anyhow, if you decide to delid - it's really easy with the tool but be careful when reapplying the sealant.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sorry about your Loss.. Zowieeeeeeeeee.. Anyway I was fortunate to delid a 3770k with the old vice, 2x4 and a hammer and was very fortunate. The tool is probably the safer way to go.

Good Luck vgbaron. Hope everythings comes out ok.

Best Regards,

Bob M.

Bob M

Do you even have to put the cpu lid back on? Why not just mount the cooler to the cpu die? Seems to me like the most hassle free and best performing solution. (Haven't researched so the answer isn't obvious to me)

Sounds like you hadn't watched right YouTube videos about delidding the 7700.  There are a couple out there that state (as well as show) that you do not have to use adhesive to mate the IHS back on the cpu silicon.  The cpu cage that lowers down over the IHS & cpu has enough force to keep the IHS in place, as long as you are careful.  It is a very slow process to holding on to the IHS as you lower the cage down over the cpu & IHS, but once you lock the arm in place, nothing is going anywhere.

If you need to take comfort knowing you aren't alone, watch this guy:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Ah Geez Vic. That sure is some undeserved bad luck. Sorry to hear that. You've got to be one angry cat right now.

I have not attempted a delid yet, but I never understood the recommendation to use Crazy Glue. It is permanent and there is not much recourse if you make a mistake as you are unfortunately finding out. The silicone allows you to redo the process if you need to.

Thanks for posting the warning,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Thanx Guys - I've come back down from the ceiling and am in a better mood. Good news and bad news - I was apparently able to save the CPU but in the course of testing back and forth I trashed the cpu pins in the mobo!  LOL When it rains it pours. Ordered a new cpu which hasn't arrived but ran to fry's and bought a new mobo. Put the old cpu in and have been stressing it for over an hour and it hasn't gotten above 59C!  SO the delidding worked and I was able to salvage the cpu. All it cost me was a new mobo and a lot of time. I'm going to see if Asus can repair the other mobo for a reasonable price. I just bought that one a week ago.

Computers can be so much fun.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Thanx Guys - I've come back down from the ceiling and am in a better mood. Good news and bad news - I was apparently able to save the CPU but in the course of testing back and forth I trashed the cpu pins in the mobo!  LOL When it rains it pours. Ordered a new cpu which hasn't arrived but ran to fry's and bought a new mobo. Put the old cpu in and have been stressing it for over an hour and it hasn't gotten above 59C!  SO the delidding worked and I was able to salvage the cpu. All it cost me was a new mobo and a lot of time. I'm going to see if Asus can repair the other mobo for a reasonable price. I just bought that one a week ago.

Computers can be so much fun.

Vic

Fry's to the rescue!  I miss that place, always had what I needed in a pinch.  I wouldn't get my hopes up about the motherboard repair as I'm sure they'll notice your handywork.  Live and learn I guess, right?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Yes I heard about the super glue method of reattaching the IHS recently. Was dubious about it when I came across it.

No reattachment at all, let the IHS float.

Or, a smidgen of high temp silicone adhesive.

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yes I heard about the super glue method of reattaching the IHS recently. Was dubious about it when I came across it.

No reattachment at all, let the IHS float.

Or, a smidgen of high temp silicone adhesive.

I tryed with Silicon not with superglue , i not see  any benifit

Have delidded atleast 60-70 cpus and Mount and remount them floating.

Vic , good to hear that the cpu is ok

35 minutes ago, westman said:

I tryed with Silicon not with superglue , i not see  any benifit

Have delidded atleast 60-70 cpus and Mount and remount them floating.

Vic , good to hear that the cpu is ok

I guess the benefit is to assist when installing CPU, so it doesn't move. But I Know you loosen the screws a bit Hasse.

Also I suppose for those that want a CPU and IHS attached, as it was when new.

Well, this was my first delidding and I certainly did learn from it. In the future, I'd opt for a dab of silicone just to hold it in place. Other than the glue screwup, it actually went quite well. I really am amazed at how much handling the CPU can handle. I mean I scrubbed the contacts with acetone,  alcohol, used plastic and wood scrapers, etc and it seems to have survived.

As for the damaged mobo - either I take a $200 loss and trash it or, if ASUS comes up with a reasonable price for repair, I have a brand new top quality spare mobo.

We shall see.

Vic

On 3/28/2017 at 2:12 PM, vgbaron said:

Just a word of caution and passing on an expensive lesson I learned delidding my 7700K.

I purchased a RockitCool delidder and spent some time looking at various guides and videos until I felt comfortable with the process. The delidding, cleanup and applicatoin of the liquid heatsink went just fine.  I had found three options for resealing the heatsink to the blank - replace the silicone on all sides, leaving a small gap, replace the silicone on just two sides or put a tiny drop of KrazyGlue on all four corners. I chose the latter.

BAD IDEA!!

After letting the cpu sit for a couple of hour I went to remove it and reinstall in mobo - remember, I only used a tiny drop on 4 corners - the glue had run down and UNDER the cpu and had nicely dried on the bottom contact pins.

Alcohol, acetone and elbow grease and I'm able to get the cpu booting BUT the max processor speed is 800ghz and so far I cannot adjust it. I also fear that some residual glue that I might have missed got on the mobo socket - I'll check that out tonight with a magnifier. An expensive lesson - probably a new cpu and possibly a new mobo.

Anyhow, if you decide to delid - it's really easy with the tool but be careful when reapplying the sealant.

Vic

Sorry to hear this, Vic.That really is a pain.

For many years Fry's was my go to store for all my computer parts. But, then Microcenter showed up. Not sure if you have one of these near you. But, the reason I switched to them is for their amazing return policy, significant lower prices, knowledgeable  staff,  damage warranty plans, match prizes, stock items, and customer service.  I have built my last 3 computers through them. ( A word of advise: Always buy the accidental damage plan for Mobo and CPU's). 

All the best,

Joe

On 3/30/2017 at 1:50 AM, vgbaron said:

Well, this was my first delidding and I certainly did learn from it.

I'm sorry to hear this too - you've been much braver than I was with delidding. I ended up getting the guys at Silicon Lottery to do it for me and the heat sink was reattached with silicon adhesive. Delidding is definitely worth it though from a temp perspective. The early benchmarks I have done at 5.1Ghz have had max temps of 69 Celsius during a stress test. 

Hope you get some good results from your delidding.

Several hours OCCT and Prime95 at 5.0ghz and nothing over 59C! So it seems to be worth it

Vic

Glad to hear the chip's still working and you've gotten such great results.  

Westman and myself don't use adhesive when delidding, there's really no need for it.