Sign in to follow this  
Tango777

Scratched disc

I own 3 physical (DVD-ROM) versions of FSX: FSX (regular version), FSX Deluxe (disc #2 has a scratch thanks to Microsoft as it was there when I bought it 10 years ago but it only became a problem now), and I have the Acceleration Pack. I understand from research that the Deluxe Edition is the best version to install.

I own FSX add-ons that date back 10 years too and still enjoy them.

So I called Microsoft replacement disc department at 1-800-360-7561 and after taking my information (name, product name, where I live, etc.) they said that since they no longer manufacture FSX, they can no longer issue a disc replacement, and they said that Microsoft no longer holds copyright to it after checking within their system. I was on the phone for a long long long time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

brandon

Try copying the DVD's to your HDD/SSD and then execute from there.  If that does not work, then I would recommend you purchase FSX-SE.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim is right, you should try to make a copy of the DVDs, as recent technologies have error correction capabilities.  A quick Google search (copying scratched dvd) turns up some good resources on the net. There are some utilities that have settings built-in to allow for these types of situations.  You can also try to make an iso file of the DVDs and run them in emulation mode, and the computer will act as if it is reading off of the actual disc, which leaves you open to saving the discs as digital media which can make future installs go quicker.  As a last resort, as Jim brought up, the Steam version of FSX is a good alternative and it includes all of the extra features from the Acceleration Pack.  I see frequent sales being run on Steam for this, and you may be able to pick up some DLC with it too.  One good advantage to the Steam edition is that you won't have to physically back up your installs or other key codes.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

If your disk definitely won't run, then you've nothing to lose in trying to remove the scratch. Fortunately, you can do that with stuff you have in your house. Either use toothpaste or metal polish (i.e. Brasso). Both toothpaste and metal polishes such as Brasso are very mild abrasives, so they can be used to polish out a scratch from the surface of a DVD or CD. This is a bit like using T-Cut to polish out a scratch on your car.

Put the disk face down on a hard surface, then put a small amount of toothpaste on the surface which is scratched, then use a lint free cloth to gently polish the surface, work from the centre outwards if you can, but make sure you cover the scratch of course. You won't need to do too much to get the scratch out, and even reducing it may work, so don't go mental with the rubbing. Rinse off the polish with slightly warm water then make sure you dry the disk thoroughly.

When you are sure it is dry, give it a try, chances are it will work if the scractch has been diminished.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I had a scratched DVD (not FSX) and did what Alan said and the disc worked. This was a couple months ago.

Well I just tried to copy the DVDs over to my HDD as Jim suggested and I did so by watching every file copy over to my HDD but on disc#2 it stops at D2Fea~13, and the unfortunate part is that is the only file on the entire disc that the scratch affects, the rest of disc#2 copies over just fine just as all of disc#1.

So my next attempt will be Googling what Jimm said to do and that is search for "copying scratched DVD".

Thanks much for all the advice.

I will post my progress as I try these alternate routes.

But I do have a question: I am not a developer and the only add-ons I have are REX 4, AS 2016, and high end airplane add-ons. I don't have scenery add-ons. With that being said would I miss some things if I install the DVDs of the FSX regular (non Deluxe) edition?

Thanks,

brandon

Here's a rundown on the differences between the Standard and Deluxe versions of FSX.

Standard + Accelleration = Deluxe?

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Since the only file that the scratch is affecting is the D2Fea~13 file, and it is the only file that will not completely copy over to my HDD, Would my FSX basic DVD disc #2's D2Fea~13 file be the exact same file?

P.S. The problem I see with taking the FSX Steam edition route is that some of the airplanes that I have acquired over the last 10 years might not be compatible with FSX Steam. An example would be PMDG's J4100 and PMDG MD-11. I also have some great airplanes from Aerosoft that go back several years.

P.P.S. I tried installing FSX from all of the files I copied over and the installer was working just fine until it was less than 30 seconds from a full install and then WHAM, it hit an error displaying an error message and the file causing the install error based on the error message was the file D2Fea~13. 1 file preventing an install. I will now try the toothpaste scratch fix advice from .

I do have FSX Deluxe installed on my old laptop, is there anyway to assemble the files that are in the .cab install file D2Fea~13?