So, I was watching this video today.  I didn't know that SSDs have a limited number of writes...or, perhaps, I'm not understanding this right.  I do love my SSD drives for their speed.  I also use an SSD for my Windows memory cache and it has me wondering if that's the wisest decision.  What do the more knowledgeable amongst us think about the best use of SSD?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Move your swapfile to a mechanical drive. it helps with reducing the writes.

I wouldn't think much of it at all, a modern SSD should still outlive a hard drive. Or in even easier terms, they should last longer than we should be holding onto them.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

It's not an issue. Most naturally change their drives well before such issues arise.

Let's just say it'll last more than your old harddrives with regular use.

Forget about the endurance and enjoy them, you'll swap them before they die.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

If anyone uses Samsung drives, there is the Samsung Magician, which does monitor read and writes and checks the disk regularly for stability.  CrystalDisk ( http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html ) is another utility that you can run to monitor the lifespan of a given drive, and in this day in age, it's a good idea to keep an eye on it before the inevitable happens.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Take a look at https://betanews.com/2014/12/05/modern-ssds-can-last-a-lifetime/. Even the SSDs that failed earliest in the test they quoted lasted for 728TB of writes. The best lasted more than 2PB and, apparently, many modern drives can exceed their theoretical lifespan anyway. To put this into context, looking at the "worst" drives they tested (to quote from the article):

"728 TB of data is not as much as 2 PB of data, of course, but, even so, we are still looking at a very long lifespan in this case. Using the same 10-year lifespan, one would have to write 204.23 GB of data each day to reach the aforementioned figure. That is still a lot of data."

Writing consistently more than 20GB of data to a single drive every day is unusual so the average user would expect an SSD life of comfortably more than 10 years based on these figures. 10 years is way beyond the expected lifespan of most hard drives so if you weren't worried about your hard drive failing, you certainly shouldn't worry about your SSD. That said, for peace of mind don't forget to backup regularly!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 30 March 2017 at 5:21 PM, TechguyMaxC said:

SSDs are so cheap now, I wouldn't even care if one burned out.  

Cheap depends on your income and what you're comparing them to! They're much more expensive per gigabyte than HDDs, especially if you go for the higher capacities. A 1TB SSD costs at least 5 times more than the equivalent HDD and, as such, constitutes a significant part of the cost of the whole system. I certainly wouldn't consider an SSD as a disposable item any more than I would have done a HDD and, considering what I paid for mine, I'd want them to be reliable for a long time.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The early ssd's were plagued with failures and that kind of gave them a bad reputation. I remember reading review after review on Newegg from purchasers complaining of their drives suddenly dying, many times after only weeks or months of use.

I now have two of the newer Samsung 850 Evo 3D drives, and have had no issues. The fact is I was curious, and purchased them largely as an experiment to see if they would either drop dead on me, or prove as reliable as the newer reviews seemed to be indicating.

So far it's been the latter.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I still have my first SSD ever (Intel X-25M, 80GB) and it still performs like on the first day (not THAT good, but much better than any HDD). It doesn't even have TRIM, and i purchased it like 8 years ago?

How about that for some lifespan? :P

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

17 minutes ago, NaMcO said:

I still have my first SSD ever (Intel X-25M, 80GB) and it still performs like on the first day (not THAT good, but much better than any HDD). It doesn't even have TRIM, and i purchased it like 8 years ago?

How about that for some lifespan? :P

The intel drives were almost always the exception, and people paid a premium for that. I remember pricing them back in the day and just slowly backing away.

Devons rig

Yeah, for 80GB it wasn't cheap at all. Over 340 eur IIRC.

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Cheap depends on your income and what you're comparing them to! They're much more expensive per gigabyte than HDDs, especially if you go for the higher capacities. A 1TB SSD costs at least 5 times more than the equivalent HDD and, as such, constitutes a significant part of the cost of the whole system. I certainly wouldn't consider an SSD as a disposable item any more than I would have done a HDD and, considering what I paid for mine, I'd want them to be reliable for a long time.

Notice I said *I* wouldn't care.  Not that anyone else wouldn't.  I use HDs for long term storage and SSDs for OSes, performance-sensitive apps, and work space for video editing.  Besides, when you have a Micro Center nearby it's trivial to go pickup replacement parts.  Especially when they're this cheap: http://www.microcenter.com/product/465260/120GB_SSD_Plus