Notice I said *I* wouldn't care.  Not that anyone else wouldn't.  I use HDs for long term storage and SSDs for OSes, performance-sensitive apps, and work space for video editing.  Besides, when you have a Micro Center nearby it's trivial to go pickup replacement parts.  Especially when they're this cheap: http://www.microcenter.com/product/465260/120GB_SSD_Plus

Well it would be cheap at a minuscule 120 GB Max. :biggrin: Admit it, you drive a Bugatti Chiron!

I had an SSD fail on me before the estimated write endurance was up. Bought it back in 2010. The SSD had until 2020 before it used up all the available writes. It died in 2015.

1 hour ago, magnetite said:

I had an SSD fail on me before the estimated write endurance was up. Bought it back in 2010. The SSD had until 2020 before it used up all the available writes. It died in 2015.

Can happen to any technology though. There can always be the odd dodgy unit. 

On 4/1/2017 at 8:44 AM, vortex681 said:

Cheap depends on your income and what you're comparing them to! They're much more expensive per gigabyte than HDDs, especially if you go for the higher capacities. A 1TB SSD costs at least 5 times more than the equivalent HDD and, as such, constitutes a significant part of the cost of the whole system.

Remember that you don't buy SSDs for capacity, you buy them for speed. A good, cost-effective solution is going to have different tiers of storage with different capabilities. I have a 256GB and a 512GB SSD in my main development and sim machine; bulk storage is handled by network-attached spinning rust.

Unless you're doing significant on-PC storage (hint: don't) SSDs are getting to the point where they are "big enough" and the speed difference is amazing.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Remember that you don't buy SSDs for capacity, you buy them for speed. A good, cost-effective solution is going to have different tiers of storage with different capabilities. I have a 256GB and a 512GB SSD in my main development and sim machine; bulk storage is handled by network-attached spinning rust.

Unless you're doing significant on-PC storage (hint: don't) SSDs are getting to the point where they are "big enough" and the speed difference is amazing.

Cheers!

Luke

I agree about the storage. I have 500GB and 256GB SSDs for the OS and some games. I store/backup everything else on either an internal HDD or on my NAS drive. I still think that "cheap" is a relative term. If you're on a limited budget even a good 500GB SSD is going to be a significant investment (but worth the money!) and you may only be able to afford on-PC storage.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

My Samsung 850 Evo from 2015-10 is on 98% endurance. So it should last about 75 years, which is plenty enough for me. I have a feeling I will not be needing a 500 GB SSD around the year 2090. Maybe my grand children, if I have any.

My other, non-system SSD's which see very few writes except when patching/updating games/applications are all at 100% endurance.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I just wanted to say, I've had two SSD failures...on separate Dell laptops, not my sim machine...in the last two months.  One of the laptops was a year old, the other was two.  Maybe their SSDs are junk but both were sudden and required drive replacement.  Both of them were the primary drive.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Which make SSD's do Dell use Greg? May be due to the thermal issues associated with laptops perhaps? 

On 4/4/2017 at 3:36 AM, martin-w said:

Which make SSD's do Dell use Greg? May be due to the thermal issues associated with laptops perhaps? 

Heat is a definite cause of premature electronics failure.  The only SSD failure I've personally experienced with my own equipment was a drive installed in a laptop.  I've lost track of how many SSDs I've owned over the years, currently have 3 including a 512GB drive that's been going for 5 years now!