Sign in to follow this  
airernie

FSX SP2 won't start - Reinstall inevitable

As I indicated in the title, I think that reinstalling FSX is inevitable, but I'm hoping that someone has some clue as to what might have caused or could potentially solve my issue.

Note; I have deleted and allowed FSX to rebuild; fsx.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml, scenery.xml, controls.xml. logbook.bin.  Cleared the scenery/facilities and shades caches,   Also have deleted all FTX Global, etc., but there likely is stuff leftover (the nature of FTX!).  Other than that, no third-party add-ons are loading.

Anyway, using Process Monitor I can follow the loading of FSX SP2 and noticed that once it completes the steps for 'Logbook.BIN'  it goes into a 'Thread Exit, Thread Create' loop.  

If I cancel, I get a 'AppHangB1', but not sure what else to try.. Already backing up the drive for a reformat, reinstall, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

When FSX loads, the first thing it loads is everything in your dll.xml.  So moving the dll.xml to a temporary folder as suggested in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, will stop FSX from loading any modules.  Moving or deleting the FSX.cfg will eliminate any issues with that config as it will be rebuilt.  Moving or deleting the scenery.cfg will rebuild the scenery.cfg to the default.  Once you do this you have a default configuration of FSX just as if you just installed FSX. 

I could find no controls.xml or a scenery.xml for FSX.  There is a standards.xml for FSX controls.

If you rename the logbook.bin to logbook.orig.  It will not load.  It is not needed to run fsx.  If the sim starts up after you do this, then you can assume it is a logbook problem.  AVSIM has a repair tool for the logbook in the AVSIM Library.

AppHangB1 freezes are very common.  There is no solution to fix an AppHangB1 freeze except to investigate.  This is why you need to bring FSX back to the default with no modules loading, no logbook, the default scenery.cfg, the default fsx.cfg. to begin the process of investigating.  Most freezes at startup are caused by an out-of-date module in the dll.xml because it is the first thing loaded.

Hope this helps.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

42 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

It will not load.  It is not needed to run fsx.

Actually a new logbook.bin will be rebuilt if you rename the old one so apologize for this misleading statement. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

19 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Actually a new logbook.bin will be rebuilt if you rename the old one so apologize for this misleading statement. 

Hi Jim,

Yep.. that's what I found out. :-)   Also, you are correct that two of the files I mentioned don't exist.  They should be, as you pointed out Standard.xml and Scenery.cfg.

I haven't had time since the original post to do much more troubleshooting.  Hoping to get to it tonight or tomorrow.

I do have a drive image from earlier this month if all else fails.  I would need to install some apps and do some updates for stuff that changed since then, but it should save me a reinstall of FSX.

Ernest Pergrem

Follow-up, so I can mark this thread done.  Couldn't resolve it, so I restored an image I had made earlier this month.  Back in the air with minimal frustration..  

Reinforced always, always, always backup.  Also, keep simulator files off OS drive, that way you can re-image the simulator stuff without potentially having to reactivate Windows, FSX, etc..

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem