Sign in to follow this  
OfficialLiovo

Black Textures....everywhere....

Hey,

I loaded up my FSX this afternoon, and I was greeted with an unpleasant sight. All of my FSX textures were black, except airports. It's also now taking an extremely long time to load flights when it gets to "Loading terrain data...". Here is a screenshot:

63af9b9c018947e0a34e0cfbee63bbe0.png

I really don't know how to fix this. I reinstalled FSX about three days ago.

Signed,

Jacob

What has worked for me in the past: Re-name the "fsx.cfg", or back it up in another folder, and delete the original). Start FSX and the config file will rebuild - see if this fixes the problem.  Of course, you must edit the config file to add back in any tweaks + then probably need to OK any non-default gauges upon start-up, and maybe a few apps ...  Good luck.

There is a way to have Steam check and fix errors in your installation which may help. Open your Steam account. Right click on the game title in the left top part of the screen and it will bring up a menu of options. Choose properties. Then choose Local Files. Left click on "verify integrity of game files" at the bottom of the list and it will check and reload any files that have accidentally been removed or corrupted. I can't promise this will fix your issue but it's definitely worth a try and beats reinstalling the whole thing...

The other thing I might suggest - have you got any other games that you can check and see if they are working normally? It might be a video card issue rather than FSX-SE or Win 10???
Ian

Are you using a shader mod?  Have you tried deleting the contents of the shader cache?  It is completely safe to do.

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX folder.

\Robert Hamlich/

If the OP is using FSX-SE, I don't think he will find there is a shader cache? I think that is a difference between the box version and Steam. If I'm wrong, I would love someone to tell me how to find the Shader Cache in SE because I've looked and looked. There is a folder in the main directory entitled ShadersHLSL but there is no "cache" inside it - at least none that I can find. And yes, I have looked in the userapp folders - both FSX and FSX-SE and it's not there either...

I have also had a "black rectangle" problem though in my case it's that common problem of certain effect files not being able to load fast enough - strobe lights, PAPI lights, AI propellers in certain visibility conditions etc. I tried applying a fix that works in FSX but among other things, it requires deleting the shader cache and I was never able to find it.

I'd be very grateful if someone who uses SE can chime in on this and confirm there is no folder or tell me how to find it...

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian,

First off, I will tell you that I don't use FSX:SE, I have the FSX:Boxed version, but there should be a Shaders folder (Shader Cache) for both versions (see below) (Do not delete or mess with \ShadersHLSL in the root FSX / FSX:SE directory)

If you are looking for the Shaders & Shaders10 folders they can be found in:

C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX  

Black rectangles momentarily displayed around VASI, PAPI, strobes, (not sure about black AI props under certain low vis conditions though) can often indicate that your PC resources are under stress.
To alleviate this you should experiment by reducing things such as - AI aircraft Boats Ships Cars, Autogen, Water effect, Shadows on aircraft & cloud draw distance. If you are using REX HD textures you should consider not using 4096 TML but rather opt for 2048 TML or even default 1024 TML.

8 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

I have also had a "black rectangle" problem though in my case it's that common problem of certain effect files not being able to load fast enough - strobe lights, PAPI lights, AI propellers in certain visibility conditions etc. I tried applying a fix that works in FSX but among other things, it requires deleting the shader cache and I was never able to find it.

I'd be very grateful if someone who uses SE can chime in on this and confirm there is no folder or tell me how to find it...

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I thought that I had it and pasted the path to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX-SE.  Now having looked at it I now see that it contains the ShadersHLSL folder.  It still appears that the contents are shader files only.  Try renaming the folder to disable it and see if it is rebuilt after you start FSX-SE.  I would do it but I am already running late getting to work.

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

Ian,

Just home from work and I checked; I can confirm the Shader cache is located in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX-SE, it can be safely deleted.

@ OfficalLiovo, how many texture files have you got in the root Texture folder, I have 1654 files myself.  Something may have become corrupt, is you ShadersHLSL folder intact?  Have you tried to do a repair of FSX using your install disk?

\Robert Hamlich/

I've just completely deleted FSX from my system and reinstalled it. It's still showing the black textures when I've loaded it up again.

Did you delete all the leftover folders in AppData, Program Data etc. folders when you uninstalled FSX-SE?  Have you posted at the Steam forums?

\Robert Hamlich/