Sign in to follow this  
Hoang

ORBX KSAN San Diego International Released!

Hello,

ORBX just released their newest product, San Diego city and airport. Has anybody tried it yet? I am very curious about the VAS and performance. I fly in and out of San Diego a lot with FSLabs A320x and PMDG 737

Source:http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/132541-ksan-san-diego-international-released/

Cheers,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I bought it today and it is awesome!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just now, Jim Young said:

I bought it today and it is awesome!

Very happy to hear that, did you manage VAS when flying there? With FSLabs A320x/PMDG 737 and LatinVFR KSAN, no ORBX products I have about 700-800MB free after landed there.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

In P3Dv3 I was getting fantastic fps over 60.  I flew around the scenery with the default F22 and had about 1.64GB's when I finished flying around and landing.

No eye-candy is VAS friendly.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

In P3Dv3 I was getting fantastic fps over 60.  I flew around the scenery with the default F22 and had about 1.64GB's when I finished flying around and landing.

No eye-candy is VAS friendly.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will do one (probably last) leg with LatinVFR KSAN now.
Cheers,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

P3D v5

I have both (although I have removed the LatinVFR version in the P3D Scenery.cfg).  I liked both but obviously, the Orbx product is more detailed and realistic.  I use KSAN with Orbx Southern California.  I do not think there can be a fair comparison as Orbx KSAN made their product compatible with Orbx SoCal.  If you do not own SoCal or Orbx Global stuff, then LatinVFR is the way to go!

Submit News to AVSIM

I was always impressed with the LatinVFR main terminal...clear glass and terminal insides.  I don't have the Orbx one but, from what I see, their windows needs some work.  I do like the looks of the city and the surroundings on the Orbx one.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I did a short leg from Flightbeam KSFO to LatinVFR KSAN with FSLAB A320x, no ORBX and after landing VAS was 3.5GB - 3.8 GB, I was shocked. How can it be that high with limit AI to 10, 25% traffic, no vehicle or anything, autogen/scenery complexity normal.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

5 hours ago, Hoang Le said:

I did a short leg from Flightbeam KSFO to LatinVFR KSAN with FSLAB A320x, no ORBX and after landing VAS was 3.5GB - 3.8 GB, I was shocked. How can it be that high with limit AI to 10, 25% traffic, no vehicle or anything, autogen/scenery complexity normal.

What NVidea video driver version are you using?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Folks,

LOL - I've asked this question over on the ORBX forum without answer (or maybe that was my answer) - can anyone report the state of the "other" airports included in the coverage area ? I don't have the actual SOCAL Region - so I'd just like to know if they have been improved at least up to the ORBX "Freeware" level (Browns, Gillespie, Montgomery, NAS North Island, NAS Imperial Beach) - - - or have they been left as default/stock airports ?

Thanks so much...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 hours ago, Hoang Le said:

Unfortunately you will get excellent usage of VAS by flying from the default KSFO to the default KSAN but the default scenery does not look very good and does not give you hardly any sense of immersion does it?  Fortunately, we have developers like FTX/Orbx who provide us with awesome eye-candy regions and airports and they develop these excellent regions and airports to promote sales... very high sales in most cases.  Flying from FlightBeam's KSFO HD over Orbx SoCal or FTX Global to Orbx KSAN using AS16 and a commercial airline like PMDG (for even more immersion) will tax any computer system, especially the most powerful as the faster a system can process textures and application tasks, the faster the usage/depletion of VAS.  You never saw too much of this VAS depletion completion complaints back when FSX was first released and we had much less powerful systems. You can destroy your immersion in any eye-candy situation by turning your settings up to the max or near the max, have normal to high Autogen settings (autogen is so unrealistic IMHO and VAS/fps killer too!!), have cloud shadows, HDR, and fly with aircraft like the excellent products from PMDG to further enhance your immersion into flight.  Try turning off the eye-candy in the FTX/Orbx control settings in FTX Central. Might help just a little but it is not a solution as everyone wants eye-candy (or they would not buy the product) and the object of the game when developing and selling products is to have a lot of eye-candy AKA realism.  It produces a lot more sales.  You want it or you would not have purchased the product.  I want it and we have to live with it as developers will continue to use Direct X technology and other new and upcoming technology to give us even more immersion into flight simulation.  They have talent and they want money for their talent and I, for one, do not blame them.  One reason I'm so poor is the fact I do not have this talent and expertise! 

I will try this flight from KSFO to KSAN later today as I want to see for myself how much VAS is used as I closely watch VAS usage on all of my flights.  Anytime you have around 300 MB's or more of VAS remaining on landing, you are good to go and you should not be concerned because you will not get an OOM in most cases.  I have, on occasion, had stutter free flights and successful completion of a flight session with only 200MB's of VAS remaining but it is scary as I start to hear the FSUIPC warning dings that I'm getting close to running out of memory.  Still I complete the flight.  VAS usage goes up and down during a flight.  Several years ago, we had everyone complaining and posting problems with the lack of FPS but we do not see that so much anymore.  It is all about the amount of VAS remaining because that's impossible for a developer to control if he/she wants to produce a nice product that will sell and the developer has to rely on how a consumer will use their product. It works great on their system and those of beta testers and it is why the product is released to consumers.  They want everyone to enjoy!  BTW, most developers only test their scenery alone and not with a bunch of other eye-candy add-ons enabled which is the way it should be! 

If I read your figures correctly, you had approx 200 MB's to 500 MB's remaining which I consider more than enough.  My system can handle VAS figures that low and it is super powerful.  It's when the sim crashes with an OOM that it is not exciting and I know for a fact I have a problem with my setup.  What you should do in the future is to post your FSUIPC log if you have enabled logging in the FSUIPC and you use the FSUIPC to monitor VAS (see page 16, AVSIM CTD Guide).  It will show you exactly how much you had at the beginning of your flight all the way to the end of your flight and it provides a nice summary of your VAS, memory, and FPS usage for everyone to see at the end of the report.  I save most of my fsuipc logs by renaming them to something like KSFOKSAN_PMDG747_AS16_OrbxSoCal.  Then I can occasionally do a comparison and maybe adjust my settings up or down depending on the results.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

LOL - I've asked this question over on the ORBX forum without answer (or maybe that was my answer) - can anyone report the state of the "other" airports included in the coverage area ? I don't have the actual SOCAL Region - so I'd just like to know if they have been improved at least up to the ORBX "Freeware" level (Browns, Gillespie, Montgomery, NAS North Island, NAS Imperial Beach) - - - or have they been left as default/stock airports ?

Thanks so much...

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

Most of the peripheral airports in KSAN package have gotten minor makeovers from SoCal. SoCal was a YUGGE improvement on all the default airports in the area.

One airfield I am very familiar with is KNRS and somewhat familiar with KNZY. KNZY in KSAN package looks like it does today in real world, with some generic looking objects but nice photoscenery.

KNRS is kinda odd. (Full disclosure: I developed a scenery package for KNRS with all kinds of improvements a couple of years ago).  As I mentioned, the SoCal package greatly improved the default scenery but not to the custom level of my package.

The KSAN package can be run in FTX Global mode or in Orbx SoCal region mode. I am running in SoCal mode. When viewed from overhead, you can plainly see the intermesh of SoCal and KSAN areas at KNRS. It is not exactly a seamless blend. In all fairness, you would probably not notice flying in or out of the airfield. Unfortunately you would probably notice if you were doing helo maneuvers near the border with Mexico south of the base. 

Generally, I find the KSAN area a slight improvement in performance over SoCal, a significant improvement in overall vector and POI over SoCal, and still with the overall greenish photoscenery color problems in SoCal. Performance at KSAN itself is much better on my system than LatinVFR/SoCal combo.

Hope this helps, KSAN package is net positive for me.

• Upvote 1

Might pick it up afterall . Hopefully the region is getting better on performance , because it must be heavy on CPU needs since the best Region out there (New Zealand South) is proberly the visual best in my opinion but less autogen offcause.

Hmm Does P3Dv4 move all Autogen to GPU ? now that would be nice :-) 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

4 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Unfortunately you will get excellent usage of VAS by flying from the default KSFO to the default KSAN but the default scenery does not look very good and does not give you hardly any sense of immersion does it?  Fortunately, we have developers like FTX/Orbx who provide us with awesome eye-candy regions and airports and they develop these excellent regions and airports to promote sales... very high sales in most cases.  Flying from FlightBeam's KSFO HD over Orbx SoCal or FTX Global to Orbx KSAN using AS16 and a commercial airline like PMDG (for even more immersion) will tax any computer system, especially the most powerful as the faster a system can process textures and application tasks, the faster the usage/depletion

Hi Jim,

I have the FSUIPC log and I monitor at every phrase of the flight. On that flight I had ~600-800MB free when at Flightbeam KSFO, after took off I had 1000MB, and when in LatinVFR KSAN area it dropped to around 400-600MB until I park at the gate.

ORBX products are the one I would really love to have. I'm a pilot myself and every time flying either up high or at low altitude I always look outside to enjoy the view (even at night I use moon light to look around), same as in simulator. In fact I have considered buying several products from ORBX for days now, added to cart almost $300 of ORBX product but the VAS issue I am having make me think too much about it and have not process the purchase yet.

So with my remaining memory like that, do you think that having ORBX products is still playable?

6 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

What NVidea video driver version are you using?

Hi,
I am using 376.53 with FSX(SE). Is there a memory leak from nVidia with FSX? I know that there has been a memory leak issue with P3D but not FSX, not that I know of.

Thank you,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

P3D v5