Sign in to follow this  
Muley

Changing to Steam Edition

It's the same software, no difference.  You may be thinking of having to pay again for the P3D product?

If you go with FSX:SE (great choice by the way), I would give strong consideration to doing a clean Windows install before switching to Steam. It's not 100% necessary, you can run FSX and FSX:SE side by side but it can make things a bit complicated for installs and at times you may have to go in and make manual corrections to some files.  If  you merely uninstall FSX, then I'd be sure to manually remove all left over folders and consider cleaning your registry of all FSX entries - and then after installing FSX:SE I would run the Flight1 Registry Repair Tool.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Many thanks for the quick reply and advice. Seems prudent to give it a good clean.

So it's not necessary for me to download anything from PMDG just go ahead and use my base package and make sure it points to my Steam install?

If so that's great!

Thanks again much appreciated.

No sir, you're all set!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

One thing to be aware of: When you install the NG in the Steam Version of FSX, be sure to give the PMDG read me file which pops up during installation a look, there is a little bit of a tweak with Simconnect you need to do in order to ensure it works okay, it's very easy, the read me file tells you exactly what to do. It takes about a minute to do it and involves nothing more complicated than clicking on three files in a folder, so it's worth the effort to ensure you get your NG running perfect in FSX-SE.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Chock said:

One thing to be aware of: When you install the NG in the Steam Version of FSX, be sure to give the PMDG read me file which pops up during installation a look, there is a little bit of a tweak with Simconnect you need to do in order to ensure it works okay, it's very easy, the read me file tells you exactly what to do. It takes about a minute to do it and involves nothing more complicated than clicking on three files in a folder, so it's worth the effort to ensure you get your NG running perfect in FSX-SE.

Thanks Chock. Cheers!

If it is any help, Phil, besides the advice about the Simconnects that Al has mentioned, I have installed the PMDG MD-11, the 737NGX, and yesterday, the 777 without any glitches. So, go for it.

Just one more thought, if you happen to have the box version from Aerosoft you'll have to download the latest installer from the Aerosoft site. 

Andre

On 2017-3-31 at 6:28 PM, Chock said:

Chock if you happen to come back to this thread, just on the off-chance have you got that read me file. I didn't get the option when I installed? I'm having some issues with sound and I presume it's because of something I haven't done on my behalf.

Not at home at the moment, so I can't do so at the moment, but I will do later today.

Alan Bradbury

Here you go...

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FSX-STEAM EDITION USERS
=======================================================

(This does not apply to FSX users who are not using the
STEAM EDITION of FSX.)

The developer of FSX-SE, Dovetail Games has elected not
to properly install a piece of FSX that is required in
order to maintain compatibility with products developed
using the original, retail version of FSX.

This item is called "SimConnect" and it comes in a couple
of different versions.  There are a number of reasons why
you might or might not already have SimConnect installed,
so we ask that you simply keep the following in mind:

If, when you first run this PMDG product you discover
that the aircraft doesn't appear to run, the cockpit
displays are not present, the buttons and knobs do not
work, the landing gear are retracted, the flight controls
do not work, OR if you know this is the first time you
have run the PMDG software and you have never been
asked to activate your license key, chances are good
that Dovetail has failed to properly install simconnect
with your FSX-SE installation.

Correcting this problem is very easy!

1) Navigate an explorer window to this folder:

<FSX:SE root folder>\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib

(By default the <FSX root folder> is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX)

2) Run the SimConnect.msi installer file inside the folder by double-clicking.

3) Navigate to this folder:

<FSX:SE root folder>\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces

4) Inside this folder are three more folders that each contain a SimConnect.msi file - run all three of them.

Once you have all four steps completed, you should be all set!

If you require further assistance, please contact our support
team at:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Happy Simming!
PMDG Simulations

Alan Bradbury